bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
8/18/08 10:11 p.m.

We finally broke down and purchased a car, a new one with a capital N too. I was debating between a Smart, Fit, a used xB, Mazda 5, Chevy Malibu Maxx, Focus ZX5,

First New Car

And there you go. I like it a lot so far, a few niggles here and there, but it's a ton of fun to drive.

Volksroddin
Volksroddin Reader
8/18/08 10:17 p.m.

paddle shifters? eny hue nice pic

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
8/18/08 10:35 p.m.

Base model, manual tranny, no options. Like I like it.

Jay
Jay HalfDork
8/19/08 3:17 a.m.

You still use your Polaroid? Awesome.
I used to have a bunch of them. Didn't think you could still get film for the things...

J

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/19/08 6:04 a.m.

Eric, I knew when you said you got rid of the Volvo problem that something like this would happen.

Congrats.

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
8/19/08 7:45 a.m.
Jay wrote: You still use your Polaroid? Awesome. I used to have a bunch of them. Didn't think you could still get film for the things... J

I'm big into Polaroids, this was shot with my SX-70, which is by far my favorite camera in the world, and anyone who has used one will know why, it's an amazing piece of design.

Unfortunately, you can't still get film for them, unless you find it on a shelf somewhere. Polaroid shuttered its factories earlier this year, and the last batches of film rolled off the line months ago. Sad for me, I'll never get to use this camera again once my film stash is gone.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/19/08 7:59 a.m.

Try B&H Photo http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

They have Polaroid and Fuji brands in stock. I picked some up about a month ago for my Polaroid back.

Good Luck with new ride

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
8/19/08 8:19 a.m.

Thanks Wally, I get my Fuji stock from there. I've got a bit of a stash of Polaroid as it is, and with the aforementioned car I can't reasonably buy more.

Woodyhfd
Woodyhfd GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/19/08 6:54 p.m.

Back in the 70's, my uncle had a night job loading tractor trailers. One night, two guys came in, put guns to his head, locked everybody in a trailer and stole a loaded truck.

Turns out it was a mob heist and they sold the stolen cargo on the streets. The product? Polaroid film. It was hard to get it back in the day, too.

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/19/08 9:45 p.m.

We have fun with ours...

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
8/20/08 3:58 p.m.

nice purchase, I want one myself.

though I may go for the Mazda 5....

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/20/08 6:57 p.m.

Chalk me up as another Fit fan. Gimp's looks good, too.

And yeah, one day I need to get an SX-70. I'll add it to the collection.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
8/20/08 7:04 p.m.

Here's what we thought of the Fit: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/new-cars/2008-honda-fit-sport/

Yavuz
Yavuz New Reader
8/20/08 9:51 p.m.

Awesome. My father bought a fit about a month ago. He had been commuting to work by himself in a minivan for the last 6 years and I was finally able to convince him that he didn't need to drive a giant car for no reason. He was stunned when he saw how much stuff you can cram into a Fit. I think the car is a total blast.

He even got it in blue to match my car haha:

Photobucket

Lesley
Lesley Dork
8/21/08 7:11 a.m.

Congrats, I love those goofy little things. I had a white LX 5 speed for a week, I called it "Pokemon".

Jay
Jay HalfDork
8/21/08 7:34 a.m.

FWD. Lightweight. Basic. A bit tall. I just realized what these things are:

It's the Wagovan! They brought back the Wagovan!

J

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/21/08 7:35 a.m.

That blue fit would look hot with that SRT4 hood ;)

SoloSonett
SoloSonett Reader
8/21/08 7:59 a.m.

Congrats on the NEW car. I had a chance to instruct a young girl in her new FIT at the local Street Survival class.

A great, fun car! She was just learning to use a clutch and by the end of the day, having a ball on our " street ..Auto X course.

FYI: Want to induce over steer? Take it to the limit on a skid pad and grab some E brake! Whoo Hoo

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
8/21/08 6:48 p.m.

I've been calling it the Wagovan too. It's funny, it's about the exact same length as my Civic VX, but it's huge inside. Here's what I think so far.

Needs: telescoping wheel, dead pedal, auto-off headlights, taller fifth gear, more supportive side bolsters and lumbar on seats, more resistance in gas pedal, aux input on base model radio, cruise control.

Otherwise it's about perfect. The seats are quite good, the pedals are well-placed for heel/toe action, the steering is responsive, the shift action is light and quick, traction is unbelievable even on the base model, and cargo space is great of course. There's even "dog mode" as I call it, where the back seats flip up so the dog doesn't get them all furry. Very nice. Oh, and it's quiet, quick, and composed on the highway, which is unexpected. It makes a great road trip car.

We've gotten an average of 37 mpg in two tanks so far, and much of the poor mileage seems to be due to the low gearing - I'm turning 3500 rpms at about 70 mph, compared to 2000 in my Civic. Acceleration is great as a result, but it has to be hurting economy. I'd also like to put some Honda Insight or Civic Hybrid alloys on it to see if the aerodynamics and weight savings could improve things a bit.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Owtyf5sFUUHfhSuggmJp8aJZzd1vOr6XrzfppToJYVxSkov2EfZobzAafsKgsUIp