1 2 3 4
RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver Dork
6/22/10 6:10 p.m.
DaveEstey wrote: So unless cheerleaders are knocking eachother over it's not a sport in my book.

Yeah! Full contact cheerleading FTMFW!

Will
Will HalfDork
6/22/10 7:47 p.m.

Competitive cheerleaders are athletes, and whoever said that boxing isn't a sport doesn't understand it.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
6/22/10 9:08 p.m.

Golf is not a sport. It is men in plaid pants walking.

Pompom cheerleading is silly.

Competitive cheerleading is impressive.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
6/22/10 9:10 p.m.
ZOO wrote: If a judge or official determines the winner, then it is not a sport, in my humble opinion. A sport is something where the average or even casual fan can clearly see who is winning based on objective criteria (score, time, etc).

Unfortunately, this definition would include most board games or video games as sports. NOT.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Dork
6/22/10 11:39 p.m.

Poker is not a damn sport.

I can't figure out why no-one else has learned this yet.

Shawn

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/23/10 5:30 a.m.
SVreX wrote:
ZOO wrote: If a judge or official determines the winner, then it is not a sport, in my humble opinion. A sport is something where the average or even casual fan can clearly see who is winning based on objective criteria (score, time, etc).
Unfortunately, this definition would include most board games or video games as sports. NOT.

I thought the athleticism was implied with earlier statements . Of course, that may call into question baseball . . .

GI_Drewsifer
GI_Drewsifer Reader
6/23/10 10:37 a.m.

Professional Cheerleading requires an incredible amount of athletic ability (strength, endurance, balance etc). It all depends on how you describe "sport". It's obviously a competition, and takes a lot of physical effort to do well.

Also to whoever hated Boxing and MMA, why so much hate? Have you ever tried MMA? Sometimes its just guys smacking each other and sometimes its really legit MMA.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
6/23/10 11:26 a.m.

Cheerleading is an activity period. What next Olympic Aerobics?

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/25/10 2:54 a.m.

Cheerleading isn't a sport, however, it is an athletic activity, and I think they have competitions.

On an unrelated note, drifting isn't a sport and never has been. It is a driving style. I really fail to see why so many car enthusiasts get their panties in a bunch about this issue. Ballroom isn't a sport, it is a style of dance. Kendo or Tae Kwon Do aren't sports, they are styles of fighting. Dance enthusiasts and martial arts enthusiast don't get all uptight about people participating in said activities. Yes, there are dance and martial arts 'competitions.' Why does drifting always get everyone riled up? It is a driving style. Some folks choose to use it in a competition format. Big deal. It is fun. So is competive cheerleading for some folks. Big deal. Fewer couch potatoes or disaffected youth. Good news for all!

Mikey52_1
Mikey52_1 New Reader
6/25/10 3:48 a.m.

Donning Nomex knickers...

So then...how 'bout that Ghanaian soccer team? Can you believe the noise of the vuvuzelas???And the refs and their 'off-side' calls...I swear, I'll never watch World Cup again....until 4 years from now

JoeyM
JoeyM HalfDork
6/25/10 6:49 a.m.
ae86andkp61 wrote: Kendo or Tae Kwon Do aren't sports, they are styles of fighting. Dance enthusiasts and martial arts enthusiast don't get all uptight about people participating in said activities. Yes, there are dance and martial arts 'competitions.'

Obligatory Kendo quote from snowcrash:

Now Hiro knows something about this businessman, namedly, that like most Nipponese sword fighters, all he knows is kendo. Kendo is to real samurai sword fighting what fencing is to real swashbuckling: an attempt to take a highly disorganized, chaoitic, violent, and brutal conflict and turn it into a cute game. As in fencing, you're only supposed to attack certain parts of the body - the parts that are protected by armor. As in fencing, you're not allowed to kick your opponent in the kneecaps or break a chair over his head. And the judging is totally subjective. In Kendo, you can get a good solid hit on your opponent and still not get credit for it, because the judges feel you didn't posses the right amount of zanshin.
Luke
Luke SuperDork
6/25/10 7:40 a.m.

Completely derailing the thread now, but I just finished reading Snow Crash yesterday, (on your, Keith and Gameboy's recommendation.) Excellent book! Easily the best novel I've read in ages.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
6/25/10 8:19 a.m.
ae86andkp61 wrote: On an unrelated note, drifting isn't a sport and never has been. It is a driving style. I really fail to see why so many car enthusiasts get their panties in a bunch about this issue.

Because so many of the Drift Faithful act like it is a sacred freaking vocation, when everybody with common sense knows it's just a phase.

It's fun, it looks cool, it takes lots of skill; all those things are granted. But it's not some holy combination of timed racing and ronin-style High Plains gunslinging that so many of the faithful seem to want everyone to believe.

GlennS
GlennS Dork
6/25/10 9:06 a.m.

i dont have a problem with judged events as long as athleticism is involved its a sports. Sure figure skating and cheer leading may not be as pure as say the 100m sprint or super G downhill skiing but they are still sports.

And anyone who says boxing or MMA isnt a sport is just wrong. Something similar to MMA existed in the Greek Olympics. Boxing probable not long after.

I would define sport as any sort of athletic competition that can be done with the next village, city, country over in lieu of actual war. After all, warfare was suspended in Greece so that the games could be held.

Hey guys, sure we could kill those sons of bitches but then we could kick their asses in next weeks soccer game!

A quick good search claims that the origin of the word sport is Greek and simply means "pastime",

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/26/10 6:20 p.m.

You do realize that there are groups trying to get competitive yoga into the Olympics as a sport. My wife teaches yoga. Even she gives that concept the hairy eyeball. Competition is furthest from the intent and ethic of yoga. What's wrong with some people?

My .02? Any athletic activity that needs judging (boxing didn't start that way--you stood or you fell) is not sport. If there is little chance of you dying from the activity while competing then yeah, it's not a sport! Bullfighting for the win?

At the high school level most of this labeling of activities has more to do with funding then actual definition. Especially with cuts every where.

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
6/26/10 6:29 p.m.

Haahaaaa... competitive yoga? That's just nuts. Mind you, I'd love to see anyone try to top this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeOTEs4QysM

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
6/26/10 6:43 p.m.

HOLY CRAP!

JoeyM
JoeyM HalfDork
6/26/10 7:12 p.m.

just....ouch!

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
6/26/10 7:40 p.m.

Holy crap is right. I'm gone for 5 days and this thread isn't dead yet?

pedretti
pedretti New Reader
6/26/10 9:40 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: sport (spôrt, sprt) Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively. I suppose cheerleading has rules. No cheering for the other team... conform or be cast out... chicks w/ gag reflexes need not apply... huh, its a sport.

couldn't sex be considered a sport then? i don't know...i've also heard chess, shuffle board, and these ten bizarre "sports" refer to as sports also. as far as i'm concerned it should be dealt with on a school to school basis, if they want it to be competitive let them if not no big deal

mpolans
mpolans New Reader
6/27/10 10:30 a.m.

It should be considered a sport by all 50 states, but not for the reasons most of you think. I highly recommend seeing the Penn and Teller's "B.S." episode on the topic.

Basically, if a state recognizes cheerleading as a sport, it means cheerleading programs will be required to follow safety regulations regarding injuries and injury prevention. Safety precautions such as spotters for practicing dangerous moves, requiring coaches receive training in how to perform stunts safely and receive training on preventing and treating injuries, etc, can be mandated. The rate of injury in modern cheerleading is pretty phenomenal and the injuries can be horrifying...imagine landing on your neck/spine after being tossed 15-20 feet in the air.

In this case, the is it/isn't it a sport debate isn't about how the competition is judged, really it's about oversight and safety.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
6/27/10 2:44 p.m.

That's an interesting point.

I'm assuming that would also impact school's liability and insurance issues.

I'll bet the coverages for injuries in the athletic department would be effected if certain athletic activities were not considered "sports".

If that's the case, then case closed. It's a sport.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/27/10 9:33 p.m.

My wife says if I can count ketchup as a vegitable then cheerleads can call it a sport

wbjones
wbjones Dork
6/28/10 4:21 p.m.

one is the other isn't...

96DXCivic
96DXCivic Dork
6/28/10 5:55 p.m.
mpolans wrote: It should be considered a sport by all 50 states, but not for the reasons most of you think. I highly recommend seeing the Penn and Teller's "B.S." episode on the topic. Basically, if a state recognizes cheerleading as a sport, it means cheerleading programs will be required to follow safety regulations regarding injuries and injury prevention. Safety precautions such as spotters for practicing dangerous moves, requiring coaches receive training in how to perform stunts safely and receive training on preventing and treating injuries, etc, can be mandated. The rate of injury in modern cheerleading is pretty phenomenal and the injuries can be horrifying...imagine landing on your neck/spine after being tossed 15-20 feet in the air. In this case, the is it/isn't it a sport debate isn't about how the competition is judged, really it's about oversight and safety.

I saw that episode. According to the show, it has a higher injury rate this most other sports including hockey.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cdarqlXr2mgoQQ35t01nArFGFQ27ByceifE0yy06P8awap3dr5ryqsBFZTHCHg2H