1 2
1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Dork
8/10/11 6:47 a.m.

Apparently, I'm hanging out with the wrong (?) people because I had never heard of this before. Since the level of intellect among members on this forum is fairly high, I should like to ask if any among you has heard of the "buttered cat paradox?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buttered_cat_paradox

So the problems of plentiful energy and global warming have already been solved! We just need to get the word out!

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Murphy%27s_law_application_for_antigravitatory_cats

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
8/10/11 6:55 a.m.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/10/11 7:02 a.m.

This is similar in concept to the GRM Paradox, in which an incredibly talented and good looking driver owns a Miata that is so close to perfect that he no longer wishes to drive it...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280721087471&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT

Photobucket

RossD
RossD SuperDork
8/10/11 7:04 a.m.

A paradox: "This statement is false."

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
8/10/11 7:26 a.m.

In any problem there are assumptions and givens, axioms that are absolute and irrefutable. In this case "cats always land on their feet": is a commonly held falsehood. Put enough backspin on them and they just don't. Period.

What's Al Gore's opinion on this theory?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Dork
8/10/11 7:43 a.m.
914Driver wrote: What's Al Gore's opinion on this theory?

Oh, please! Do we have to go there?

Frankly, I don't see any way to bring Al Gore into this discussion without the whole dialogue degrading into a diatribe on feline flatulence and it's impact on global warming.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
8/10/11 7:45 a.m.

his opinion is that he invented it

N Sperlo
N Sperlo Dork
8/10/11 8:38 a.m.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
8/10/11 8:38 a.m.

But that's just the natural progression after inventing the Internet.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/10/11 9:21 a.m.

what if the buttered cat was also Schrodinger's cat? Would anybody ever know if he could fly?

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Dork
8/10/11 9:53 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: what if the buttered cat was also Schrodinger's cat? Would anybody ever know if he could fly?

He could in a box. Probably.

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
8/10/11 10:01 a.m.

What if... the oscillating buttered cat did so in a moebius loop?

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
8/10/11 10:06 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: what if the buttered cat was also Schrodinger's cat? Would anybody ever know if he could fly?

We'd never know for sure, because you'd have to close the wave function to find out.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
8/10/11 10:17 a.m.
mndsm wrote:
We'd never know for sure, because you'd have to close the wave function to find out.

Buttered cat in a mobius loop: I don't know if it matters, since the buttered cat would also be outside the loop at the same time. The same would be true for trying to stuff the cat into a klein bottle.

[and that's without invoking wave forms and quantum theory.]

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
8/10/11 10:22 a.m.
RossD wrote: A paradox: "This statement is false."

"Don't-think-about-it-don't-think-about-it..."

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/10/11 10:59 a.m.
Lesley wrote: What if... the oscillating buttered cat did so in a moebius loop?

Please stop flaunting those big brains of yours.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Dork
8/10/11 12:51 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote:
his opinion is that he invented it

Would the outcome had been the same if the internet had been invented by a buttered Al Gore?

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
8/10/11 12:57 p.m.
Woody wrote: This is similar in concept to the GRM Paradox, in which an incredibly talented and good looking driver owns a Miata that is so close to perfect that he no longer wishes to drive it... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280721087471&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT Photobucket

Hey now, that's one nice Miata.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
8/10/11 6:46 p.m.

I can state with 100% certainty that Schrodinger's buttered cat is BOTH flying AND not flying at the same time.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/10/11 9:05 p.m.

I imagine it must be hard to fly in a small box

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
8/10/11 9:16 p.m.

...unless the poisonous gas is lighter than air...

Hasbro
Hasbro Dork
8/10/11 9:21 p.m.
Woody wrote:
Lesley wrote: What if... the oscillating buttered cat did so in a moebius loop?
Please stop flaunting those big brains of yours.

Wow, she has more than one? No wonder she's awesome!

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/10/11 9:21 p.m.

All I can think of is that's going to be one pissed off cat. I wouldn't want to be the person to remove the toast.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
8/10/11 10:34 p.m.

Simple physics people, a cat has much more mass than a slice of buttered bread/toast, therefore the cat overpowers the bread.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
8/10/11 10:52 p.m.

If I'm not mistaken, I'm quite sure it is generally the BREAD that is buttered, not the CAT.

But if buttered cats are what you are into... whatever floats your boat.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5gHztZoJ4cmab9TrNZAqSvG8LCxr63JltRLFR2mQcnb5jzG9CgEM0Sy09mCFVABT