1 ... 1930 1931 1932 1933 1934 ... 4727
Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
6/6/13 2:46 p.m.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
6/6/13 2:52 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote:

What class of cars are these, they look awesome fun, imagine them at an autocross in E Mod

CWH, decent places to live don't have safety inspections. You can drive pretty much anything here in Mi.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Dork
6/6/13 2:59 p.m.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
6/6/13 3:14 p.m.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
6/6/13 3:14 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:
What class of cars are these, they look awesome fun, imagine them at an autocross in E Mod CWH, decent places to live don't have safety inspections. You can drive pretty much anything here in Mi.

Looks like a Sportsman class dirt racer. My childhood friend's dad - Eugene Nead - fabricated them and raced them (until his first major wreck). His car looked very much like that, except it was #127. He was very good at building cars. Now he builds hot rods as a hobby and sells them when he's bored.

My friend - coincidentally also named Gene Nead - grew up to be a successful NASCAR crew chief in Craftsman trucks and Sprint Cup cars. He golfs in the off-season and has a side business making handcrafted putters.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
6/6/13 3:21 p.m.
Duke wrote:
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:
What class of cars are these, they look awesome fun, imagine them at an autocross in E Mod CWH, decent places to live don't have safety inspections. You can drive pretty much anything here in Mi.
Looks like a Sportsman class dirt racer. My childhood friend's dad - Eugene Nead - fabricated them and raced them (until his first major wreck). His car looked very much like that, except it was #127. He was very good at building cars. Now he builds hot rods as a hobby and sells them when he's bored. My friend - coincidentally also named Gene Nead - grew up to be a successful NASCAR crew chief in Craftsman trucks and Sprint Cup cars.

Hhmm, Google tells me Sportsman class bodies look like a Montecarlo or Grand Prix http://www.fivestarbodies.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=390 I need more Google Foo

Duke
Duke PowerDork
6/6/13 3:25 p.m.

Well, in the '70s, they looked a lot more like #58 up there. Here's one (Toby Tobias) with a contemporary body from the mid'-70s:

But there were plenty still running around with '30s sheetmetal:

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
6/6/13 3:31 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:

It looks pre-war. I bet CWH could drive it in FL without inspection

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
6/6/13 4:01 p.m.

OK, you can get late model corcle track bodies for around $1k, does that seem stupidly cheap to you guys? But what about these 30's style bodies?

Duke
Duke PowerDork
6/6/13 4:21 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: OK, you can get late model corcle track bodies for around $1k, does that seem stupidly cheap to you guys? But what about these 30's style bodies?

Those in the pics above were actual '30s steel; they weren't bought off the rack. At time of that Pinto, you had to use OEM stampings for the roof pan and quarter panels, though you were allowed to modify the QPs. That eventually got whittled down to just the OEM roof panel, and I doubt there is anything other than flat sheet these days.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
6/6/13 4:25 p.m.

On another note, I ran across this little gem, and my words cannot describe how desperately I want to own this thing and run it in F Mod autocross:

That was the most instantaneous automotive boner I've ever gotten, I think.

And that was even in response to a model - Click here and scroll down...

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
6/6/13 5:58 p.m.

Wiley Post flies the Lockheed Vega "Winnie May" around the world, solo-1933.

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
6/6/13 6:04 p.m.

Lest we forget.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/6/13 6:20 p.m.

Wally
6/6/13 7:05 p.m.

Wally
6/6/13 7:24 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: What class of cars are these, they look awesome fun, imagine them at an autocross in E Mod CWH, decent places to live don't have safety inspections. You can drive pretty much anything here in Mi.

They are what Modifieds used to look like. Modifieds are generally cut down open wheel cars while Sportsman cars are normally closed wheel late model bodies. Modifieds started out as cut down 30's coupes and coaches on stock chassis, and through the years got lower and wider, first using chassis from 1950's Fords and Chevys then on tube chassis with either independent front ends on pavement or straight axles on dirt, both with plenty of offset. As the supply of 1930s sheetmetal dried up they would use contemporary bodies like Mustangs, Pintos and Vegas before eventually going to the fabricated sheet metal they use today. Before Nascar killed them Pavement mods were a great class. You could build a car in your driveway and run it every night of the week. Dirt mods still run somewhat like that. If I ever won the lottery I would buy a couple of Modifieds and hit the road.

Here is a good thread with pictures of classic modifieds. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174989&highlight=historic+modifieds

Wally
6/6/13 7:51 p.m.

Wally
6/6/13 7:51 p.m.

Wally
6/6/13 8:19 p.m.

This was built by a member of my model car club. He made everything but the headlight lenses from aluminum and brass, and did all the chrome plating himself. The steering and the throttle linkages work.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Reader
6/6/13 8:32 p.m.

Mr_Estrotica
Mr_Estrotica New Reader
6/6/13 9:27 p.m.

Mr_Estrotica
Mr_Estrotica New Reader
6/6/13 9:31 p.m.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy SuperDork
6/6/13 11:13 p.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
6/6/13 11:33 p.m.

1934-First flight of the De Havilland D88 Comet.

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
6/6/13 11:34 p.m.

1934-First flight of the DC-2.

1 ... 1930 1931 1932 1933 1934 ... 4727

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
busozEdQATDwBW78crdxZlffIQs3c9RtXhW2ALuzYuwT3BGg46158niPtfQnRtJG