1 ... 2531 2532 2533 2534 2535 ... 4723
Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
10/21/14 10:25 a.m.

In reply to fanfoy:

AwwShucks, aint that sweet!

In reply to Keith Tanner:

I don't think I'm seeing an extra link, just an upper and lower control arm, although the upper sort of looks like it has an extra link.

I don't think I'm seeing an extra link

fanfoy
fanfoy HalfDork
10/21/14 10:36 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

If you look at this picture, you'll see that both the upper and lower control arm are connected to the coilover. which is probably how they acheive resonable spring rates. That's a guess, but those front springs don't look ridiculously hard. That arrangment is very form driven, but it seems legit.

Powar
Powar SuperDork
10/21/14 10:36 a.m.

Sometimes, the stance kids make an unsuspecting car look.... good.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/21/14 10:38 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: In reply to fanfoy: AwwShucks, aint that sweet! In reply to Keith Tanner: I don't think I'm seeing an extra link, just an upper and lower control arm, although the upper sort of looks like it has an extra link. I don't think I'm seeing an extra link

That looks like it gives a great motion ratio...

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
10/21/14 10:44 a.m.
bgkast wrote:
Adrian_Thompson wrote: In reply to fanfoy: AwwShucks, aint that sweet! In reply to Keith Tanner: I don't think I'm seeing an extra link, just an upper and lower control arm, although the upper sort of looks like it has an extra link. I don't think I'm seeing an extra link
Suspension is sooooo important for being pushed on and off the show stand. Despite the many and obvious faults. It still looks kick ass and the theme could be used to build a really cool hot rod for the real world. That looks like it gives a great motion ratio...
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/21/14 11:37 a.m.
fanfoy wrote: In reply to Keith Tanner: If you look at this picture, you'll see that both the upper and lower control arm are connected to the coilover. which is probably how they acheive resonable spring rates. That's a guess, but those front springs don't look ridiculously hard. That arrangment is very form driven, but it seems legit.

That's what I could see, it was only partially visible in the other shots due to a piece of bodywork. I was hoping they'd done something like that - although I didn't quite expect THAT linkage. Someone got pretty creative.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
10/21/14 12:25 p.m.

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/cto/4701860320.html

1941 Ford Speedster. Iconic 50's Hot Rod - $8900 (belchertown)

This is without question a surviving one of a kind Ford speedster, built in the early 1950's from a compilation of parts. Powered by a 1950 Mercury 255 cubic inch Flathead V8 with a Iskederian cam, headers, cherry bomb mufflers with custom 1950's exhaust caps, Schebler carburation, its a quick, "wind in your hair" fun vehicle to drive. Components include a extended 1941 Ford frame, 1939 Ford running gear with hydraulic brakes, 1939 Ford transmission and differential (very rare 3.51 gear ratio), hand laid fiberglass nose, custom steel body and fenders (fronts made from Model A rear steel rear spare tire covers), Studebaker steering wheel, early Ford side view and rear view mirrors, 1950's powerboat split windshield and seats,1939 Ford Truck and tail lamps, rare Mickey Thompson front tires, 1950 Ford hubcaps, Moon rear hubcaps, and period correct instrument gauges. The aluminum hood, as near as can be determined was manufactured in a aircraft factory given the flush rivet assembly. Included in the sale will be an Offenhauser twin 97 Ford carburetor aluminum manifold and a pair of Offenhauser aluminum finned cylinder heads. Also utilizes a 6 volt positive ground electrical system which functions fine. In case you are wondering... the Hoover logo was added as a joke by the former owner by his friend who noticed the front of the Speedster resembled the the front of a old Hoover vacuum. And yes... the goggles and cap come with the car. The1941 Speedster comes with a New Hampshire on the road and legal registration. New Hampshire is not a title State for older vehicles. A very unique antique and vintage vehicle to which you will not find another one like it. Exhilerating and fun to drive with that true "wind in your hair" experience. Don't miss it.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
10/21/14 12:38 p.m.

Bumboclaat
Bumboclaat HalfDork
10/21/14 12:55 p.m.

RandyS
RandyS Reader
10/21/14 1:53 p.m.

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/21/14 2:15 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/21/14 2:18 p.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/21/14 2:18 p.m.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
10/21/14 2:24 p.m.

CGLockRacer
10/21/14 2:43 p.m.
bigdaddylee82 wrote:

CGLockRacer
10/21/14 2:44 p.m.
Appleseed wrote:

That was my first PG-13 movie I ever saw in the theater. I think I was 7 or 8 and my friend's mom dropped us off after buying the tickets for us. It was awesome!

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/21/14 5:04 p.m.

I saw one of these yesterday. CRX Si.

It was factory stock. Stock wheels, stock ride, all season tires, full interior. Completely unmolested. I was reasonably certain that none of those existed in the wild. Looked to be a DD for a older guy.

Sorry, no pictures, I was driving in traffic.

Keith Tanner
10/21/14 5:08 p.m.

Funny you should mention that, I spotted this Si in the parking lot at work. After I drove it there Mine does have a rear sway bar though. Sharp eyes will notice this is the same spot as the Cadillac pic from earlier - thus the oil stain...

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
10/21/14 6:51 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Funny you should mention that, I spotted this Si in the parking lot at work. After I drove it there Mine does have a rear sway bar though. Sharp eyes will notice this is the same spot as the Cadillac pic from earlier - thus the oil stain...

have you found the rear sway bar a help with the handling ? and which one did you get ?

un-related obligatory hotlink

mapper
mapper Reader
10/21/14 7:27 p.m.

Stay in control.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
10/21/14 8:21 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
fanfoy wrote: In reply to Keith Tanner: If you look at this picture, you'll see that both the upper and lower control arm are connected to the coilover. which is probably how they acheive resonable spring rates. That's a guess, but those front springs don't look ridiculously hard. That arrangment is very form driven, but it seems legit.
That's what I could see, it was only partially visible in the other shots due to a piece of bodywork. I was hoping they'd done something like that - although I didn't quite expect THAT linkage. Someone got pretty creative.

Here's some linkage for ya, it's called a Boyesen link. See if you can discern its design intent.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
10/21/14 9:15 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Funny you should mention that, I spotted this Si in the parking lot at work. After I drove it there Mine does have a rear sway bar though. Sharp eyes will notice this is the same spot as the Cadillac pic from earlier - thus the oil stain...

Based on where the oil puddle is in relation to the CRX, I'd guess that the Caddy is leaking from the rear seal.

Keith Tanner
10/21/14 9:24 p.m.
T.J. wrote:
Based on where the oil puddle is in relation to the CRX, I'd guess that the Caddy is leaking from the rear seal.

Yup, I put a new two-piece seal in it a while back and obviously screwed something up. I'll have to try again someday. Original was a rope, not sure I have the nerve for that.

Sway bar has livened the car up. It's a Suspension Techniques.

Keith Tanner
10/21/14 9:35 p.m.
Curmudgeon wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote:
Here's some linkage for ya, it's called a Boyesen link. See if you can discern its design intent.

Looks as if it uncouples suspension movement from chain length changes.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
10/21/14 10:07 p.m.

1 ... 2531 2532 2533 2534 2535 ... 4723

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bLzRJ5lAWEcz0MNcB19USk2NILx9l3kJA9DnZk1ZtkxDCLv0IGte11vcWt2zlAVy