1 ... 2961 2962 2963 2964 2965 ... 4728
daeman
daeman HalfDork
12/24/15 7:25 p.m.

So I'm at Christmas eve dinner at my partners aunt and uncle's and I spied one of these in the garage.... It sounds awesome!

daeman
daeman HalfDork
12/24/15 7:28 p.m.

An mx5 body with a supercharged Toyota 1uzfe v8... Awesome

daeman
daeman HalfDork
12/24/15 7:32 p.m.

One of these was parked behind the mx5 bullet

travellering
travellering Reader
12/24/15 9:25 p.m.

In reply to sesto elemento:

MRE christmas? This sounds like a blast!

Really bad ideas...

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
12/24/15 10:46 p.m.
HappyAndy wrote: In reply to Knurled, Flight Service, bigdaddylee82 and others: I'm not a huge fan of GMOs, they maybe completely safe or maybe some aren't. They are worth looking into, and some, or even many may prove to be beneficial, even world altering. My problem with them is they are being pushed into the market by the same people/corporations that have pushed out many other products that were claimed to be wonderful and perfectly safe, that weren't at all. Man, as a species, never seems to grasp the law of unintended consequences Or worse yet, choses to ignore it.

this again ....

keep in mind that we've been eating GMO's since the first selective breeding every happened ...

only difference is now it's being done via the surgeon's scalpel and microscope and not "by guess and by golly ... there can, and probably will be some screw ups along the way .. but to paint all the "big corporations" with the "we're only concerned with profits and not how this will help mankind" is sorta short sighted ... but that's just my opinion

y'all have at it ... but play nice, this subject usually gets a bit contentious

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
12/24/15 10:48 p.m.
iadr wrote:
bigdaddylee82 wrote: Knurled hit a big part of the anti-labeling, that also applies to our exports. There's a stigma (silly, no secret on my thoughts) about GMOs, around the world, and if labeling is forced, it will likely have a larger impact on our exports than already exists. Strict export agreements with other countries already require spot checks, and entire barge loads have been rejected due to GMO, "contamination." Literal boat-loads of money. So what's the big deal, just don't grow the stuff, right? Well our standards aren't necessarily the same as others. In fact finding a true 100% GMO free crop in this day and age is near impossible. We have used engineered crops for so long, natural cross breeding has "contaminated," a lot of our "GMO free" seed. I was at an inservice a couple weeks ago, and a coworker gave a presentation on a verification field that was supposed to be plain-old-regular-field corn. The corn was planted, stand established, and then it was sprayed with glyphosate, guess what, ~8% of the corn lived. So that plain-old-regular-field corn, was actually at lest 8% "RoundUp Ready." So where do you draw the line? A farmer is planting seed that as far as they know is GMO free, they sell it as such, then it's tested and turns out to have some of Monsanto's engineering show up. Are they still selling "GMO free?" I don't recall the number but we allow a percent of GMO to show up in our "GMO free" crops. In a broader sense, nothing, even your organic, free-range, GMO free, artisan, insert food, is really truly, not genetically modified. Anyone heard of teosinte, without googling? Now if you want me to really get on a soap box, bring up the blanket over use of herbicides due to the wide spread adoption of herbicide resistant cash crop GMOs. There are negatives, but the positives far out weigh them. I've got to go to a Christmas party, so I better shut up.
So it's completely accidental that everyone is "allergic" to wheat, peanuts, etc...just all of a sudden? Really? You can't grasp the connection?

and people have always been allergic to these foods ... we just hear way more about it now ... just like any other "bad" thing out there ... instant news cycles ... gotta fill the air waves with something

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/24/15 11:21 p.m.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
12/25/15 8:14 a.m.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/25/15 10:07 a.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/25/15 11:02 a.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/25/15 11:04 a.m.

I know of a 28ft. Hudson River Schooner stashed in a barn nearby.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/25/15 11:05 a.m.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar UltraDork
12/25/15 11:14 a.m.
Knurled wrote:

Ooh long rams.

Here's a long vs. short.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/25/15 4:55 p.m.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
12/25/15 5:13 p.m.
Rob_Mopar wrote:
Knurled wrote:
Ooh long rams. Here's a long vs. short.

Cross ram intakes, I got to work on a Chrysler 300 in High School that had them. Impressive looking under the hood.

Knurled
12/25/15 5:28 p.m.
bgkast wrote:

I just screamed a little inside. Over the years, I did three engines in a '36. I hate pulling that damned nose apart and putting it back together.

Knurled
12/25/15 6:11 p.m.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/26/15 8:19 p.m.

Wall-e
12/26/15 8:27 p.m.

Fresh Fish Delivery in Chinatown. They scoop the fish live out of tanks on the back of a flatbed truck and run them into the restaurant.

Wall-e
12/26/15 8:27 p.m.

Knurled
12/26/15 8:37 p.m.

photo rallycross.png

Wall-e
12/26/15 9:21 p.m.

I played around with more pictures of my trains tonight after work:

Wall-e