1 ... 2969 2970 2971 2972 2973 ... 4728
ncjay
ncjay Dork
1/5/16 8:36 p.m.

Jeez, how do you supercharge a V-12 and come up with only 600 hp(500 at the wheels)? I'm betting they're being lenient with the numbers, or there's a whole bunch of room left for more power. 50 hp per cylinder is pretty low.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/5/16 9:14 p.m.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
1/6/16 2:49 a.m.

Fully automatic, self-powered fender rolling machine:

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
1/6/16 2:50 a.m.

Apparently it also drives:

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
1/6/16 2:53 a.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/6/16 7:04 a.m.

ncjay
ncjay Dork
1/6/16 7:40 a.m.

If you love kids so much, teach them to not play in the road.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/6/16 10:54 a.m.
bentwrench wrote: RAV4 did not ride and drive as nice as CX5, I don't think is was as fast either.

That isn't a RAV-4. It's a Fortuner, based on the Toyota IMV Hilux platform. Obviously, we don't get them here.

Rufledt
Rufledt UltraDork
1/6/16 11:41 a.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/6/16 12:52 p.m.

Kylini
Kylini HalfDork
1/6/16 2:40 p.m.

Sorry you have to squint to read it. I have too much fun at work sometimes.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/6/16 4:37 p.m.
Rufledt wrote:

They picked the wrong Volkswagen.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant UltraDork
1/6/16 4:51 p.m.

Rufledt
Rufledt UltraDork
1/6/16 6:12 p.m.
EvanB wrote: They picked the wrong Volkswagen.

The wrong lamborghini, too

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/6/16 6:47 p.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/6/16 7:54 p.m.

Rufledt
Rufledt UltraDork
1/6/16 8:02 p.m.

I want to twin charge something someday. No reason why other than it being awesome. thoughts?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/6/16 8:22 p.m.

From what I have gleaned from eng-tips, Lancia did it wrong. They gated out the supercharger at high revs, when they should have left it in series.

Ive done just a little reading on the subject... and acquired some Eaton superchargers as a result. Just need something with enough underhood real estate and a stout enough drivetrain to accept it.

Of course, with the prevalence of E85 and the ease with which it can be practically utilized, the push for twincharging has fallen behind. No need to think about the detonation resistance benefits when you can get cheap "race fuel". (Well, cheap after you buy $500 worth of pumps and $1500 worth of injectors, anyway)

Rufledt
Rufledt UltraDork
1/6/16 8:34 p.m.

So instead of gating the supercharger off and going turbo only, requiring some additional complication, you're saying they should've essentially set it up to run like a supercharged engine (supercharger always working) and stuck a turbo on that? Sounds simpler.

obligatory semi-related hotlink:

I think that pic shows a twincharged set up that uses a valve that opens allowing the air compressed by a turbo to bypass the supercharger, as the valve opens, a clutch disengages the supercharger.

Rufledt
Rufledt UltraDork
1/6/16 8:41 p.m.
Knurled wrote: From what I have gleaned from eng-tips, Lancia did it wrong. They gated out the supercharger at high revs, when they should have left it in series. Ive done just a little reading on the subject... and acquired some Eaton superchargers as a result. Just need something with enough underhood real estate and a stout enough drivetrain to accept it. Of course, with the prevalence of E85 and the ease with which it can be practically utilized, the push for twincharging has fallen behind. No need to think about the detonation resistance benefits when you can get cheap "race fuel". (Well, cheap after you buy $500 worth of pumps and $1500 worth of injectors, anyway)

From what i understand, turbos have advanced so much over the last decades that lag is greatly reduced, and superchargers have advanced such that the reduced efficiency is less of a problem as well, making twin charging increasingly less beneficial over just picking one that works for your application. I don't care, i just think it's awesome.

I was thinking a roots blower with some low psi, along with a rear mount turbo with some low psi, attached to some engine that already sounds cool (like a V8) would create an amazing aural experience. V8's sound cool, rear mount turbos have the extra turbo noise out the tail pipe, superchargers have their awesome whine. It might be a bit noisy, but all the noises would be awesome. Imagine that in a tow vehicle where ultimate efficiency and throttle response doesn't matter, since it's not a racecar. Even if it's not the best set up, it would be undeniably awesome.

obligatory hotlink:

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/6/16 9:07 p.m.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
1/6/16 9:15 p.m.

In reply to Rufledt:

Drove a 2jz-gta a few years back. Then the owner wrecked it. Fantastic to drive.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/6/16 9:22 p.m.
Rufledt wrote: From what i understand, turbos have advanced so much over the last decades that lag is greatly reduced, and superchargers have advanced such that the reduced efficiency is less of a problem as well, making twin charging increasingly less beneficial over just picking one that works for your application. I don't care, i just think it's awesome.

I don't care about the lag or lack thereof. I get giddy over the idea that if you have 1.5:1 pressure ratio with the blower and 2:1 ratio with the turbo, you can run 30psi boost while the exhaust manifold backpressure is low because the turbo only has to spin hard enough for 15psi. Meaning, you get positive pressure differential across the engine and the intake charge can scrub out all the exhaust residuals, greatly reducing the tendency for detonation.

Forget lag, I want a 700hp pump gas 3-liter.

Lancia's decision made sense, in that they were running the cars on toluene-based witches' brew, and they could trade off detonation resistance for reduced parasitic drag. The blower will take more power to turn if you feed it high pressure air, after all.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/6/16 11:23 p.m.

You forgot the NAS.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/7/16 7:35 a.m.

1 ... 2969 2970 2971 2972 2973 ... 4728

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WSgs0kUJ44nzNEKIEMy6i3nPkyuhAV4mjaKkxHriH4rwosCRRCu6W5vr6e3XEyF7