1 ... 2976 2977 2978 2979 2980 ... 4728
bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
1/11/16 7:20 p.m.

In reply to wbjones:

We had an incident with a prowler in the back yard early one morning, SWMBO frantically woke me, I grabbed the pistol and light from the nightstand, it was intense but dude was over the fence and gone by the time I got the back door open. I wasn't all that stealthy, and I did flip the back yard light on before opening the door which kind of tipped them off. I called the cops, they looked around, didn't seem too concerned, and that was the end of it.

Then SWMBO and I were talking, while we own a respectable number of long guns, and the one hand gun, all of the other firearms are stored away, unloaded, and generally not easy to get to them or their ammo in a timely manner, none of the bolt rifles even have bolts in them. So I basically left SWMBO unarmed in the bedroom when I took off with the pistol. This led to the decision to get a back-up home defense gun, and the age old debate of what kind, we obviously decided on a shot gun.

I'm not super brand loyal, I grew up shooting dad's 20 Ga Mossberg 500, for fun, food, and competition even, I already owned a Remington 870 Super Mag, and SWMBO has a .410 870 from her youth, so any pump action was an eligible candidate.

We looked at a lot of stuff, and needed something with a short length of pull for SWMBO to wield comfortably. We were really looking at youth models originally. Then we happened to be in Dick's while they had all their Remington shotguns on sale $100 off, including a lovely 18.5" barrel 7+1 12 Ga. 870 Tactical. All the stars aligned and it came home with us.

We had a shotgun but it was still too long for SWMBO, so I looked around, read a lot of reviews, and had her shoulder a few different options. We wound up with a Magpul SGA stock, with all of the spacers removed.

Obligatory redneck picture of firearm on a bed:
It's an 870 Tactical, Magpul SGA stock, Surefire G2X, UTG picatinny saddle, Wilson Combat Jumbo safety, Made in China mag tube quad rail and light mount, and a Leupold Deltapoint.

We're content with our decision the 870 is good, but we have added a small fortune in mods to make it great.

That doesn't make me want a .410 Judge, or Circuit Judge any less. Rossi has their Rio Grande lever gun in .410 too.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/11/16 7:21 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: POWERBALL

Asteroid fields are mostly empty. "Small plane, big sky" has NOTHING on an asteroid field. We're talking, put a beach ball in the middle of the desert and try not to hit it as you drive across. I know this, you know this, Han Solo definitely knew this, but he was trying to be all brave and cool because he was macking on that whiny farmer-boy's hot sister, so he was playing it off as dangerous.

Then that blinged-out buttmunch of a droid says "The odds of successfully navigating an asteroid field are 3,280 to one!" Meaning you're over three thousand times more likely to sail on through unscathed than to hit anything. They misnamed that thing, it should have been named C-Blocker instead of C-3P0, amirite?

So Han got PISSED. He yelled at the droid, "NEVER TELL ME THE ODDS!" Subtext: "I'm workin' here, shut up already!"

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/11/16 7:57 p.m.

For some reason I like this paint job.

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock UltimaDork
1/11/16 8:04 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
1/11/16 8:17 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

Reminds me too much of:

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
1/11/16 8:20 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: For some reason I like this paint job.

Owned by Ted Nugent?

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/11/16 8:25 p.m.

In reply to bentwrench:

Not enough guns.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/11/16 8:53 p.m.

The only samurai I can recall.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/11/16 8:56 p.m.

In reply to bigdaddylee82:

That sucks about the prowler Hopefully you won't ever have to deal with him again.

Nice 870! I have the same stock on my 12g 870 Express. It's a super nice stock. It changes the balance (it's deceptively heavy!) but it shoulders soooo nice.

To continue the trend of shotguns on beds, here's mine:

870 Express "Deer hunter"
- came with a rifled sabot barrel but I took that off when I found out how much sabots were
- 18.5" Remington police IC barrel with rifle sights
- Remington 2 round extension tube
- Remington sling adapter
- Magpul SGA stock
- Magpul MOE forend
- Magpul MS3 sling
- Magpul MOE illumination kit
- Streamlight TLR-1 HL with switch
- Mesa Tactical shotshell holder
- GG&G slotted follower
- Limbsaver recoil pad

It is by far my favorite gun that I own. The Limbsaver makes shooting boxes of slugs possible. Like cars, guns are not immune to project creep . It's great stress relief to go out into the desert after work and make big holes in stuff

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/11/16 11:14 p.m.

Remember when shotguns looked like this?

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Dork
1/11/16 11:32 p.m.

This thing is just odd.

http://thefunnybeaver.com/crazy-snowmobile-powered-ice-fishing-camper-thing/

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
1/12/16 6:40 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

They still do.

We've got one that looks like this:

And this:

And even one that looks like this (my very first firearm):

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
1/12/16 6:50 a.m.

In reply to stanger_missle:

Prowler was just one issue we've had. I leave the Jeep unlocked, don't want anyone cutting its top to snoop around. I've come out in the morning and found its passenger door wasn't shut. We had a road rage shiny happy person follow us home about a year ago, I got my bluff in on them pretty good though, they think I'm at least as crazy as they are now. We hate our neighborhood. Last spring this happened 8 housed down from us. http://www.thv11.com/story/news/local/conway/2015/04/14/conway-robber-shootout/25802561/

Needless to say, we're ready to move.

Kia_Racer
Kia_Racer Dork
1/12/16 6:54 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: For some reason I like this paint job.

Having watched "Doctari" when I was a kid, I love those zebra paint schemes.

ncjay
ncjay Dork
1/12/16 7:10 a.m.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
1/12/16 7:33 a.m.

In reply to ncjay:

Reminds me of this:

Storz
Storz Dork
1/12/16 7:36 a.m.
RossD wrote: In reply to ncjay: Reminds me of this:

I worked a bike shop in Brighton, MI during highschool and remember seeing that thing cruze down Grand River one day back in the 90s!

Storz
Storz Dork
1/12/16 7:39 a.m.

Got the optic mounted on my AR yesterday

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
1/12/16 9:10 a.m.

In reply to Storz:

Holosun? Looks Aimpoint-ish.

I see Magpul accessories, and a stainless barrel. Details?

I've got a Nikon 3-9x40 P223 on "mine," and a metal flip up rear on "hers." I got a cheap NcStar 2-7x32 Mark III (I know, I know, but it was $60) with quick detach to go on the one with iron sights, but need a ~3/4" riser to make it fit with the folded down rear sight.

She's a better shot open sights than me.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
1/12/16 9:30 a.m.

This guy's pec/front delt tie-in area looks like a butt...

...can not unsee...

guitaraholic
guitaraholic New Reader
1/12/16 9:41 a.m.
captdownshift wrote: when they turn their lights on to pull you over and you take the next right to pull off the main road so the officer doesn't have to stand out on a 4 lane highway and they can't quite take the turn as quickly as you can.

Roads,, where we're going,, we don't need roads.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Dork
1/12/16 10:28 a.m.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Dork
1/12/16 10:28 a.m.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Dork
1/12/16 10:34 a.m.

Suddenly I want a droptop... and summer.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
1/12/16 11:55 a.m.

1 ... 2976 2977 2978 2979 2980 ... 4728

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BoiUC0Gxua5aVx0f67mkhAHpz59u7wCEJtuFAs0XDrOxkEvGjSrDFQ58CmVrseW7