1 ... 3041 3042 3043 3044 3045 ... 4695
Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
2/25/16 2:35 p.m.

So I've been cruising airports with Google Maps. i was looking at St.Augustine and let out an audible gas when I saw this.

It looks like a Fouga Magister even still painted in Patrouille de France colors. Having grown up around airshows in England int he 70's the Patrouille de France would come over from time to time and as a kid anything with a V tail was way cooler than the Hawk's the Red Arrows used.

The Fouge may have been an old plane even by the 70's, but I thought they were as cool as hell. Pretty sure I had an Airfix kit of one at some point.

My Airfix kit never looked this good though

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/25/16 2:41 p.m.

Adrian_Thompson
2/25/16 2:52 p.m.

Holy crap there's one for Sale in Ft. Lauderdale as well for only $55K, in flying condition but in need of an Annual. I bet it must cost more than the purchase price to keep flying each year.

It must be the sister to the one at St. Augastine since the vid implies it's shot from a second one. https://www.youtube.com/embed/rKegPw2jO74

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/25/16 2:58 p.m.

Adrian_Thompson
2/25/16 3:04 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
Appleseed wrote: In reply to edizzle89: You land into the wind. Landing downwind in a place like that is a quick way to die.
Also, that's not a picnic either. We landed at St. Thomas on our honeymoon, and it was freaky. I'm not really afraid on flights mostly because I can't do anything about it, but this time I wanted to yell, because I was pretty sure the pilot missed the island. water---water---water---water---water---water---water---water---pavement-touchdown

I wonder what the single engine landing fees are. My current day dream is island hopping the Caribbean in a GA plane. If it ever happened it would need to be a twin as no amount of logical argument or statistics can convince my wife that a Skyhawk is the safest GA plane there is. Twin or nothing. How much does a Beechcraft Duke cost to run? Hey, if you're gonna dream, dream big and go beautiful.

Adrian_Thompson
2/25/16 3:07 p.m.

In reply to aircooled:

I didn't ask why not a downwind landing. That was someone else, I'm not that dumb!

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/25/16 3:37 p.m.

Sorry, bad iPad edit.

Speaking of the Fouga's, they have raced at Reno (I think they are a bit slow though):

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
2/25/16 3:41 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
tuna55 wrote:
Appleseed wrote: In reply to edizzle89: You land into the wind. Landing downwind in a place like that is a quick way to die.
Also, that's not a picnic either. We landed at St. Thomas on our honeymoon, and it was freaky. I'm not really afraid on flights mostly because I can't do anything about it, but this time I wanted to yell, because I was pretty sure the pilot missed the island. water---water---water---water---water---water---water---water---pavement-touchdown
I wonder what the single engine landing fees are. My current day dream is island hopping the Caribbean in a GA plane. If it ever happened it would need to be a twin as no amount of logical argument or statistics can convince my wife that a Skyhawk is the safest GA plane there is. Twin or nothing. How much does a Beechcraft Duke cost to run? Hey, if you're gonna dream, dream big and go beautiful.

Floats. Land near a nice, quiet beach.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
2/25/16 4:15 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: So I've been cruising airports with Google Maps. i was looking at St.Augustine and let out an audible gas when I saw this. It looks like a Fouga Magister even still painted in Patrouille de France colors. Having grown up around airshows in England int he 70's the Patrouille de France would come over from time to time and as a kid anything with a V tail was way cooler than the Hawk's the Red Arrows used. The Fouge may have been an old plane even by the 70's, but I thought they were as cool as hell. Pretty sure I had an Airfix kit of one at some point. My Airfix kit never looked this good though

Audible gas? Ewww...

When I was watching airshows in England in the early 70's the Red Arrows were still flying the Folland Gnat. Ever go to Greenham Common in '73 through '75? My summer job was mowing the weeds that grew up in between the cracks in the runway, since it was only used for the shows at that time. That was before the lesbians moved in...

And here is a pic of my MG Midget vintage racer Red Arrows tribute car. Known as "The Gnat." Most people don't "get" it. Sigh. I even painted a big red arrow on my helmet like the Red Arrows pilots. Just a kid at heart.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/25/16 4:59 p.m.

RFloyd
RFloyd New Reader
2/25/16 5:19 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote:
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
tuna55 wrote:
Floats. Land near a nice, quiet beach.

SWG beat me to it......

my speed would be

volmer, the wife, and rum.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/25/16 6:33 p.m.

IndyJoe
IndyJoe Reader
2/25/16 8:49 p.m.

IndyJoe
IndyJoe Reader
2/25/16 8:51 p.m.

IndyJoe
IndyJoe Reader
2/25/16 8:54 p.m.

IndyJoe
IndyJoe Reader
2/25/16 8:55 p.m.

IndyJoe
IndyJoe Reader
2/25/16 8:56 p.m.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/26/16 9:10 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
Rusted_Busted_Spit wrote: Yesterday my oldest showed me these and said "Now you know what I want for my birthday"
Lower right - is that a 917? Ooooooooo.

Yes, yes it is. We may have to get two of those sets.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
2/26/16 9:32 a.m.

Dont love the front end (are those Trailblazer or Canyon/Colorado lights?), but I am in love with the engine swap. Make mine a stepside tho...

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/26/16 9:44 a.m.
Rusted_Busted_Spit wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote:
Rusted_Busted_Spit wrote: Yesterday my oldest showed me these and said "Now you know what I want for my birthday"
Lower right - is that a 917? Ooooooooo.
Yes, yes it is. We may have to get two of those sets.

Mine shipped from Toys R Us this morning They're not released yet, but they have stock. The R18 is coming as well.

I love the small scale builds.

Adrian_Thompson
2/26/16 9:58 a.m.
Basil Exposition wrote: Audible gas? Ewww... When I was watching airshows in England in the early 70's the Red Arrows were still flying the Folland Gnat. Ever go to Greenham Common in '73 through '75? My summer job was mowing the weeds that grew up in between the cracks in the runway, since it was only used for the shows at that time. That was before the lesbians moved in... And here is a pic of my MG Midget vintage racer Red Arrows tribute car. Known as "The Gnat." Most people don't "get" it. Sigh. I even painted a big red arrow on my helmet like the Red Arrows pilots. Just a kid at heart.

Cool. I may have been there, but being born in 69 I doubt I'd remember. Went to every PFA Sywell fly in for years as well. I bet I'm just about the only one here how will get the lesbian reference for GC.

It"s funny, I don't really recall the Gnat as much as I remember them swapping from the Gnat to the HAwk sometime in the late 70's.

Greenham common shot :)

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/26/16 10:34 a.m.
IndyJoe wrote:

We hosted Mini Meet East at one of our autocrosses last year. A guy showed up with a Moke that had a 1200cc...? 1500cc...? swap in it. Yeah, I let him run after getting promises not to be an idiot.

IndyJoe
IndyJoe Reader
2/26/16 1:33 p.m.

IndyJoe
IndyJoe Reader
2/26/16 1:39 p.m.

IndyJoe
IndyJoe Reader
2/26/16 1:41 p.m.

Spanish Anyone?

1 ... 3041 3042 3043 3044 3045 ... 4695

You'll need to log in to post.