1 ... 3209 3210 3211 3212 3213 ... 4726
fireball123
fireball123 Reader
7/26/16 9:29 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: In reply to fireball123:

Actually I was referring to him using a kitty pool as fender flares but your right I highly doubt some old handicap person is driving that.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/27/16 6:06 a.m.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
7/27/16 6:24 a.m.
914Driver wrote:

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
7/27/16 7:03 a.m.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant UltraDork
7/27/16 8:29 a.m.
fireball123 wrote:
Appleseed wrote: In reply to fireball123:
Actually I was referring to him using a kitty pool as fender flares but your right I highly doubt some old handicap person is driving that.

Yeah, because all handicaps are obvious, and only happen to old people, right?

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
7/27/16 2:34 p.m.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
7/27/16 3:14 p.m.

I hate to break up such a great internet argument, but I'm pretty sure the handicap sign is referrign to the space the white MINI thing is in, not the truck. I mean, internet arguments aren't really about facts, though, so please continue bitching if you feel so inclined.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/27/16 3:29 p.m.

It is a WalMart after all. WalMarts have the most bizarre handicap parking scheme I've ever seen.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
7/27/16 3:47 p.m.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/27/16 4:11 p.m.

I'd giggle if there was another picture that showed the rig had a Disabled Veteran plate on the back. I see plenty of those on fairly big trucks around here. Just 'cause somebody qualifies for a handicap placard doesn't mean they can't get into, out of or drive a truck like that.

einy
einy Reader
7/27/16 7:00 p.m.
Grtechguy wrote:

Ooooooo .... Is that a Motus engine ?!?

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/27/16 7:06 p.m.

If someone is in good enough shape to have voluntarily chosen a vehicle that requires them to leap three feet up to get into their cab (or limbo dance down into their sports car’s racing seat for that matter) I really don’t think we need to inconvenience all of the other people that have to park further away than necessary to accommodate them.

If a store is open 10 hours per day and if on average, a car drives past a six foot wide handicapped space once per minute, the store’s patrons will collectively walk an additional 1.36 miles per day (10 * 60 * 6 * 2) / 5280 = 1.36…the two is in the formula because the patrons have to walk past the space twice; once going in an once going out.

Let’s say that handicapped spaces are vacant 50% of the time and that 50% of the time that they are occupied, some form of nefarious activity is taking place (borrowed grandma’s car – golf buddy is a doctor – posers on permanent disability – etc., etc.). This means that 25% of the time, a handicapped space is serving its intended use (providing mobility to individuals with physical limitations) and 75% of the time, it’s a time wasting interference with commerce so a reasonable estimate is that each handicapped space imposes about 1.02 miles (1.36 X 0.75) of wasted effort on society per day.

The average walking speed of a pedestrian is 3.1 mph and the average U.S. hourly wage is $25.61 so the non-value added cost associated with each handicapped space (i.e. not counting those times when the space is occupied by a deserving individual) is $8.43 per day.

Given that we have 260 million registered cars in the U.S. and there’s probably about one public parking space for every four cars (sorry, I’m guessing on this one as I couldn’t find a good published number) and it’s mandated that 1:10 to 1:8 public parking spaces be allocated for handicapped parking (depending on the State, size of the parking lot, etc.), we’ve got about 7.15 million handicapped spaces in the U.S. (260,000,000 X 0.25 X 0.11) which cost us 60 million dollars per day (7.15 million X $8.43) in non-value added waste (again, I’m not counting the times when the spaces are occupied by a deserving individual…only vacancies and cheaters).

Bottom line, I don’t have a brilliant solution for how we could eliminate the lion’s share of this waste without adversely affecting individuals with physical limitations but I do know that the first step is always to objectively define and quantify the problem…we’ve got a 22 billion dollar per year problem (60 million X 365)…that’s 14% more than NASA’s total Berklying annual operating budget.

Your choice - the cost is about the same - look at this or look at a lifted Bronco II parked in a handicap space:

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/27/16 7:45 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: I'd giggle if there was another picture that showed the rig had a Disabled Veteran plate on the back. I see plenty of those on fairly big trucks around here. Just 'cause somebody qualifies for a handicap placard doesn't mean they can't get into, out of or drive a truck like that.

In my state, you qualify for handicap placard or plate if you have a doctor's letter saying that you cannot walk a certain distance without resting.

I had a relative who qualified because of a heart condition. She could get into and out of whatever car or truck just fine, she just couldn't exert herself for very long.

Meanwhile, when my grandfather finally got a motorized wheelchair (below knee amputee, was getting a bit old to deal with walking with the prosthetic), he would park his Mark VII out in the middle of nowhere so it wouldn't get scratched, dig the scooter out of the trunk himself, and then proceed to do whatever. He qualified for and had a handicapped placard but never really used it, other people might need it more.

Hotlink:

Was a lighter shade of blue, but same wheels. CFI car, not an HO. Last car of his life and the only one he kept for more than one or two years.

travellering
travellering Reader
7/27/16 8:01 p.m.

In reply to RX Reven':

I appreciate the effort put into your calculation, but what of the national health benefit from all that extra walking? Also, should people have used mass transit or walked/biked to the store, they'd be in no way hampered by half of the entire parking lot having blue squares on the spaces.
At the store in question, Walmart, anyone savvy enough to have put in the time to calculate time lost to walking past handicapped spaces, would have already noticed the benefit of walking in through the automotive department, where there are no handicapped spaces and they are closer to the majority of goods worth buying at Sam W's store.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/27/16 8:51 p.m.

Yeah, gemme a boat....

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
7/28/16 6:33 a.m.
914Driver wrote: Yeah, gemme a boat....

There is a boat very similar to this one in the Alpha community in Morristown TN about 30 miles outside of Knoxville on the way to Cherokee lake.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/28/16 6:47 a.m.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
7/28/16 6:49 a.m.
einy wrote:
Grtechguy wrote:

Yep. Available as a crate engine for your personal packages: Americanv4.com

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
7/28/16 8:34 a.m.
einy wrote:
Grtechguy wrote:

So is it a real new engine or just two potato farters stuck together?

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
7/28/16 8:55 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
einy wrote:
Grtechguy wrote:
So is it a real new engine or just two potato farters stuck together?

inspired by chevy bits...

slefain
slefain PowerDork
7/28/16 9:01 a.m.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
7/28/16 9:01 a.m.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
7/28/16 9:13 a.m.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork