Indy-Guy Dork
8/18/16 8:02 a.m.
Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/18/16 11:48 a.m.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/18/16 12:41 p.m.
racerdave600 wrote: It's funny how much we take for granted those things that happen around us. The Gene Kranz post reminds me of the guys I work for. All four of our owners were high up in NASA for decades. The main owner was on Werner Von Braun's team and was then a NASA spokesman. Occasionally he takes visitors to the Space Museum for a tour if they wish to go, and on one such occasion, by the end of his tour, almost the entire group of people in the place were following him around listening. He had worked on almost every project and has tons of different stories. One day I need to get a video camera and walk through with him. Being in his late 70's means we are going to lose this information one day. People like him and Gene Kranz are all getting near that age. It's interesting working for them. They process information and solve problems so differently than anyone else I have been around, even in racing circles. Nothing phases them, they just get down to work and solve whatever problem they have. It can be difficult too as they have standards rarely seen today.

The Krantz book is a great read. I need to go back to it again. My wife the project manager (actually, manager of project managers) loved it, I kinda feel bad for her team now. The intensity of mission control must have been incredible. Everyone was performing at their peak.

Madhatr
Madhatr Reader
8/18/16 1:15 p.m.
Wall-e wrote: Perhaps cotton was not the best choice for a bicycle

Hmmm unfortunate.... Someone spent a lot of time on that yarn bombing, for someone else to rip it apart.

Unrelated:

Local grown Iowa dinner

photo 20160731_180840.jpg

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/18/16 3:16 p.m.
fasted58 wrote:

Can't believe the founders didn't see that coming.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/18/16 4:52 p.m.

Turboeric
Turboeric GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/18/16 5:03 p.m.
914Driver wrote:
fasted58 wrote:
Can't believe the founders didn't see that coming.

Actually, snopes.com says this is a hoax. The cow made of butter, however, is real.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/18/16 9:00 p.m.

When Apollo 12 launched on November 14, 1969, John Aaron was on shift. Thirty-six seconds after liftoff, the spacecraft was struck by lightning, causing a power surge. Instruments began to malfunction and telemetry data became garbled. The flight director, Gerry Griffin, expected that he would have to abort the mission. However, Aaron realized that he had previously seen this odd pattern of telemetry.

A year before the flight, Aaron had been observing a test at Kennedy Space Center when he had noticed some unusual telemetry readings. On his own initiative, he traced this anomaly back to the obscure Signal Conditioning Electronics (SCE) system, and became one of the few flight controllers who was familiar with the system and its operations. For the case that first drew his attention to the system, normal readings could have been restored by putting the SCE on its auxiliary setting, which meant that it would operate even with low-voltage conditions.

Aaron surmised that this setting would also return the Apollo 12 telemetry to normal. When he made the recommendation to the Flight Director, "Flight, try SCE to Aux", most of his mission control colleagues had no idea what he was talking about. Both the flight director and the CapCom asked him to repeat the recommendation. Pete Conrad's response to the order was, "What the hell is that?" Fortunately Alan Bean was familiar with the location of the SCE switch inside the capsule, and flipped it to auxiliary. Telemetry was immediately restored, allowing the mission to continue. This earned Aaron the lasting respect of his colleagues, who declared that he was a "steely-eyed missile man"

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/18/16 9:43 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

And this is why nerds rule.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy PowerDork
8/18/16 10:20 p.m.

I'm sure there is a perfectly logical explanation for this.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Dork
8/18/16 10:21 p.m.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
8/19/16 7:49 a.m.
HappyAndy wrote: I'm sure there is a perfectly logical explanation for this.

A short skirt is my first guess.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition SuperDork
8/19/16 9:29 a.m.

Coupling?

Relevant:

etifosi
etifosi Dork
8/19/16 9:35 a.m.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
8/19/16 10:05 a.m.

Maybe they were all Ferrari Challenge drivers on the way to the track and the guy in front dropped his check book...

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/19/16 10:17 a.m.

Maybe it was...

etifosi
etifosi Dork
8/19/16 10:42 a.m.
NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
8/19/16 10:52 a.m.
etifosi wrote: berkeleyin prius!

More proof that most drivers only follow the tailights in front of them.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/19/16 11:03 a.m.
slefain wrote:
Maybe they were all Ferrari Challenge drivers....

FTFY.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/19/16 11:09 a.m.

Pushme Pullyou.

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
8/19/16 11:10 a.m.

Personally, I find it extremely difficult to follow tail lights that aren't in front of me.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/19/16 11:26 a.m.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/19/16 11:35 a.m.

In reply to etifosi:

So a bunch of old rich dudes racing their toys on public streets came across a Prius, and couldn't figure out how to pass it, and all crashed, and it's the fault of the Prius?

slefain
slefain PowerDork
8/19/16 11:35 a.m.

etifosi
etifosi Dork
8/19/16 12:07 p.m.

In reply to tuna55:

The F-bags were blinded by the smugness?

1 ... 3226 3227 3228 3229 3230 ... 4725

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uCnH0YbccdPLI0itfJZsubEGV62YgRJB4IwRUEzSxnxjNYkUqhqtsnL8M82wionM