1 ... 341 342 343 344 345 ... 4723
4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
10/11/10 6:46 a.m.

Car I learned in:

My first car:

Car 2 - the Cava-lazy:

car 3 - the Corol-lazy (notice a trend?)

the current ride - G-nean

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
10/11/10 6:53 a.m.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
10/11/10 8:16 a.m.

My first car: 1959 Alglia Prefect. $75.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/11/10 9:28 a.m.

My first car. Who's surprised?

I was a bit older than most Americans when I got my first car - I'd had my license for nearly 7 years by that point.

Here's what my parents had when I learned to drive - or one like it, anyhow. It had a 305 (which I called a "Corvette engine", not knowing any better) and indifferent all-season tires. In the Canadian snow, this meant lots and lots of tail-out action all winter long. The results of this adolescence are still visible in my driving style today...

First car I spent any time driving: An FJ45 diesel. Offroad in the Australian outback. Waaaaay out back.

HappyJack
HappyJack Reader
10/11/10 9:37 a.m.

My first car 1975 Fiat 128 Coupe. Same as this, (even the same faded red) but without the cool rims and more rust. My first car that actually seen the road more than 10 days, 81 Dodge Charger 2.2 Just like the one in the ad, but in yellow.

eastpark
eastpark New Reader
10/11/10 9:46 a.m.

My first (not this one, but very similar):

1966 Mercury Comet Cyclone GT. I paid $375 for it - Rusty but fun...

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/11/10 9:53 a.m.

My first was a 1971 124 Sport Coupe. Mine was white and had much more bondo than this car.

I learned a great deal from this car, just not enough to keep me from eternally buying "cool" project cars. Is there a patron saint of lost causes?

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
10/11/10 9:56 a.m.

All of the above were the first cars I drove '74 Vega, 76 Ford Van with pop top, 67 F100 w/350, '77 PU w/ 460.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
10/11/10 9:59 a.m.

First car I really owned.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
10/11/10 10:00 a.m.

First honest daily driver (and it was an HF)

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
10/11/10 10:02 a.m.

Current DD + the car I've driven farther than all previous cars I've owned. Very close to that, all added up. (130k in the CRX, maybe 25k in the Alfetta, 30k in another Miata and probably 30k in all the rest vs. 176k in the '99- so need past 210k to be sure)

HappyJack
HappyJack Reader
10/11/10 10:30 a.m.

Driven the most? I put 450,000 kms on one of these using it as a taxi. 95 Intrepid with the 3.5L

Powar
Powar Dork
10/11/10 11:11 a.m.

My first car... We bought it wrecked. It was the first Saab in our family.

The car that I put the most miles on is a tough call. I really can't remember, but it has to come down to either the Miata or the EXP.

Rufledt
Rufledt Reader
10/11/10 11:16 a.m.

First car i ever drove (Was dad's car, I didn't own, but he still does):

I was 13, it was in a parking lot, and he thought I was hilariously bad at stick shift. He laughed for a LONG time.

First car i drove alone (did not own officialy until later, but still have as my ZAV):

First car with my name on the title: but mine was a 2.0 not a TDi. sold that car after multiple electrical bugs made me sick of fixing it, i then became official owner of van.

Now i have this in addition to the van:

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson HalfDork
10/11/10 11:16 a.m.

OK, I'll play that game. The car I learned to drive in.

My first car, well probably my 1st through about 7th or 8th car. My first was £60 (GB pounds about $90-100 USD) a one owner car from the scrap yard with less than 50k miles on it needing some minor work, welding and respray. I wrote it off twice, first time while still a learner, the second time permanently in a ditch after going to see the RAC rally (UK round of the WRC) I only got to see about half a dozen cars before some young punk named McRae, Colin or something I think, went off a couple of corners before where we were and injured a spectator canceling the stage.

Amongst the many imps mentioned above I also had a California coupe like this in white

And a Sunbeam Stiletto as below. I got this car with a NOS very rare and expensive rear quarter panel recently fitted, but something wasn't right. I eventually cut off the panel and found the whole rear quarter was twisted from a previous wreck. The original Silver Imp mentioned above was then cut up and the rear 1/4 was grafted on the stiletto with modifications for the different C pillar line. The NOS outer panel was the put back over the whole thing. That took most of the summer of 1990 when I was 21. The car started off white and ended up blue with a roll cage, partially stripped interior etc as a hillclimb car, but I never raced it.

Then I graduated collage and started work so I needed a sensible daily driver, hence I bought a Davrian Mk 6, mine was BRG. No interior, no heater, no seats (you lay 'in' the molded fiberglass monocoque). Mine had pop up head lights, not molded in like this. You stopped the car, got out, inserted a key to unlock one headlight bucket, lifted it by hand and locked in the up position, repeat on the other side.

Then came a TR7, 1976 white 4 speed fitted with a Dolomite Sprint 16V engine. I bought that after it had sat in a garage for several years and put it together. It also had F.glass bonnet and wings (fenders and hood). That car stranded me on my way to my wedding when the front spindle snapped, the rotor in the caliper was the only thing that kept the wheel on!! It was fixed in time to take us on our honeymoon. Later the cam sprocket came loose from the cam and bent several valves

Basic transport next. Don't let pictures of Rally Chevette's fool you, they really were utter total POS's Mine was dark blue with a sporty primer front wing (fender)!

More basic transport next, but the Cavalier was actually a great car

Then things started getting good again. The Manta was a great car that I also started doing sprints and hillclimbs in. I really miss this and would lover another one day. Mine looked just like this until loosing a battle with a tree, after that it had a silver front bumper!

At this point I moved to the USA so I'll carry on another time.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson HalfDork
10/11/10 11:17 a.m.

Crap, are people seeing pics or red X's in my post?

Rufledt
Rufledt Reader
10/11/10 11:21 a.m.

I see 5 red x's and 4 pics

Duke
Duke SuperDork
10/11/10 11:27 a.m.
Kia_racer wrote: Any one remember this one?

Dude. I built about 6 different models of that, in its various iterations. We used to cut lunch at school to go home to my friend's house and watch Starblazers.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson HalfDork
10/11/10 11:32 a.m.

Random incorect post - deleted

monark192
monark192 Reader
10/11/10 12:51 p.m.

Similar to my first car - ill fitted sun roof leaked so badly I unded up drilling a hole in the floor to let the water out.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
10/11/10 1:18 p.m.

I think i would take up a whole lot of bandwidth with all the cars ive owned in my short span of driving....

Required: My type of girl....

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
10/11/10 1:45 p.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: I think i would take up a whole lot of bandwidth with all the cars ive owned in my short span of driving.... Required: My type of girl....

So, what type are driving now?

Pics required, cars are optional.

DukeOfUndersteer
10/11/10 1:49 p.m.

Currently, until i can get the Eurovan going, then I am selling it and putting a deposit down on a Fiat 500!

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
10/11/10 1:52 p.m.

Not the "best" response.

Needs more dirt:

DukeOfUndersteer
10/11/10 2:11 p.m.

In reply to oldsaw:

1 ... 341 342 343 344 345 ... 4723

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners