Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
11/1/19 7:11 a.m.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/1/19 7:29 a.m.
Knurled. said:

In reply to TJL :

Eh, it's a truck.  You do truck things with it.  That design is utiliarian and it's respectable.

No, this is utilitarian:

That THING up there is actively hideous.  They went out of their way to make it ugly.  Not sure why.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit SuperDork
11/1/19 9:10 a.m.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/1/19 11:24 a.m.

In reply to Donebrokeit :

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/1/19 11:54 a.m.
Duke said:

That THING up there is actively hideous.  They went out of their way to make it ugly.  Not sure why.

It's a fleet truck. They don't want the lower (but still profitable) trim eating into their bread and butter high feature truck sales.

Not that the regular consumer truck is a beauty or anything.

Jumper K Balls (Trent)
Jumper K Balls (Trent) PowerDork
11/1/19 12:16 p.m.
Brett_Murphy said:

SO MUCH FRONTAL AREA!!!!

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/1/19 12:20 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

I wonder whether it will grow on me a bit, in the way that an old Top Kick looks really, really ugly, but purposeful. I think it's more like you say; I'm too suspicious of them going to great lengths to inspire the illusion that it's ugly because work truck, when it's actually ugly because extensive focus group research shows that carefully tweaked ugly gives the impression of work truck.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/1/19 12:28 p.m.
Brett_Murphy said:
Duke said:

It's a fleet truck. They don't want the lower (but still profitable) trim eating into their bread and butter high feature truck sales.

Not that the regular consumer truck is a beauty or anything.

That's kind of the point.  Chevy worked hard to make it that ugly on purpose.

That thing is hideous in all trims.  The fleet version is not just "utilitarian" as was pointed out.  The GMC work truck I showed was "utilitarian" but could still be prettied up for higher trim levels.  There is just no redemption for the new design.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
11/1/19 1:03 p.m.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
11/1/19 1:40 p.m.

Brett_Murphy
11/1/19 1:52 p.m.
Duke said:That's kind of the point.  Chevy worked hard to make it that ugly on purpose.

That is exactly the point. They intentionally made the work truck hideous. Buyers that need a work truck are going to buy a work truck no matter what it looks like. Everybody else can have a CUV or SUV and give the auto makers their juicy, juicy profits.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/1/19 2:42 p.m.

And you're missing my point that the fundamental design is hideous no matter what trim level.  The consumer versions are awful too, whether body colored or over-chromed.  Being black plastic is not causing the hideousness there.  It is BAKED IN to the basic design and no finish selections can make it better.

They could have made the work truck very plain and cheap (like my example above) and nobody would have cared for the very reasons you cite... but which would have still left them open to making the consumer version prettier.

Instead they chose to make something that nearly everyone I've ever talked to HATES.  The absolute most positive response I've personally seen is "Meh, who cares?"

Alienating your customer base doesn't seem to be much of a business model.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/1/19 8:27 p.m.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/1/19 8:42 p.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/1/19 9:28 p.m.
Woody said:

​​​

Is that a really young David Freiburger from Hotrod? 

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/1/19 10:39 p.m.

Brett_Murphy
11/2/19 12:00 a.m.
Duke said:

And you're missing my point that the fundamental design is hideous no matter what trim level.  

I agreed that the consumer version isn't much better- but it is better. The main issue is that the full size trucks are huge- there is a lot of real estate to fill up on that massive front end, but somehow the nostalgia craze that got the muscle and pony cars hasn't hit the truck market yet.

Given how some people seem to regard their pickups, I think they are missing some pretty obvious styling queues for the big front end:

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/2/19 12:38 a.m.

Yesterday was the 20th anniversary of Walter Payton's death. Has it really been that long?

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/2/19 7:34 a.m.

Ahh the 70s.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
11/2/19 7:38 a.m.
Brett_Murphy said:
Duke said:

And you're missing my point that the fundamental design is hideous no matter what trim level.  

I agreed that the consumer version isn't much better- but it is better. The main issue is that the full size trucks are huge- there is a lot of real estate to fill up on that massive front end, but somehow the nostalgia craze that got the muscle and pony cars hasn't hit the truck market yet.

Given how some people seem to regard their pickups, I think they are missing some pretty obvious styling queues for the big front end:

Nope. The high level versions are a whole level of ugliness above and beyond the base version. All that tacky chrome and bling is piling on the awfulness. At least the base version is shouting ‘I’m a tasteless redneck’ from the roof tops. 

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
11/2/19 7:54 a.m.
Appleseed said:

Yesterday was the 20th anniversary of Walter Payton's death. Has it really been that long?

And two days ago was the passing of Greg Moore. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
11/2/19 9:31 a.m.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit SuperDork
11/2/19 11:50 a.m.

At least the back looks better.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/2/19 1:02 p.m.

1 ... 3936 3937 3938 3939 3940 ... 4722

You'll need to log in to post.