1 ... 4069 4070 4071 4072 4073 ... 4722
Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
4/7/20 7:24 a.m.
Duke said:

When I see a Starfighter I always think of a lawn dart, and I don't think I'm too far off.

But if you want a serious rate of clime, cross the pond.  Don't get me wrong, I love the Starfighter, but the Lightning really was a couple of engines with a few bits and bobs bolted on around it.  Take of to 36,000 feet in under three minutes.  Patriotic pride for a young kid.  

I love 50's military planes, such wonderfully Sci-Fi looking thigs.

Awesome English Electric Lightning | Aircraft, Fighter aircraft ...

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/7/20 7:33 a.m.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
4/7/20 7:34 a.m.

Mach 2 in the 50's bitches.

English Electric Lightning F2 - Large Preview - AirTeamImages.com

English Electric Lightning F.6. Probably not that weird, but it is ...

English Electric Lightning formation flight - XR754 XR747 … | Flickr

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/7/20 7:35 a.m.
pilotbraden said:

In reply to Duke :

you got me thinking about my favorite supersonic fighter

These are a few shots I got at Kennedy Space Center a few years ago (2011). We were there doing some coast-down testing on the the 3 mile long shuttle landing facility, while the these were getting some engine run-ups after coming out of mothballs.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
4/7/20 7:38 a.m.

Built to protect the 'V' bombers.  The Valient, the Vulcan and the Victor.Amazon.com: Vintage photo of Vickers Valiant Strategic bomber ...

Avro Vulcan - WikipediaHANDLEY PAGE VICTOR - Flight Manuals

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/7/20 7:38 a.m.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
4/7/20 7:39 a.m.
stafford1500 said:
pilotbraden said:

In reply to Duke :

you got me thinking about my favorite supersonic fighter

These are a few shots I got at Kennedy Space Center a few years ago (2011). We were there doing some coast-down testing on the the 3 mile long shuttle landing facility, while the these were getting some engine run-ups after coming out of mothballs.

Aren't they still in use for advanced supersonic training?

Recollections: NASA's Last F-104 Makes Final Flight | NASA

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
4/7/20 7:41 a.m.

F-104 Flight Training Launches at Florida's Kennedy Space Center

Ottawa (Forum Supporter)
Ottawa (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/7/20 7:45 a.m.
pilotbraden said:
Gary said:

Who is  flying the F6F? He seems to be a good shot.

The googles say Nicholas James Smith, credited with shooting down six enemy aircraft in aerial combat and awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross https://valor.militarytimes.com/hero/313589

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/7/20 7:56 a.m.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
4/7/20 8:04 a.m.

GM's specially developed method for shipping Vega's

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/7/20 8:26 a.m.

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/7/20 8:50 a.m.
Woody said:

I may have to resort to that method of testing if the quarantine keeps the local wind tunnels closed much longer...

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
4/7/20 8:52 a.m.

Chaparral 2D Coupe

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
4/7/20 8:59 a.m.
stafford1500 said:
Woody said:

I may have to resort to that method of testing if the quarantine keeps the local wind tunnels closed much longer...

Burt did it better?

also, I think 914 listed an 'aero tunnel' modified F-250 recently.  Might still be available?

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
4/7/20 9:53 a.m.
classicJackets (FS) said:

I"ve asked the question before when I've seen this pic but never got an answer.  It looks from the guy in the green car they are driven on, and possibly driven off.  What did they do about the oil in the crank case plus gas in the tank.  The cars weren't designed to be stood on their nose like that.  I wonder a) how much gas leaked out and b) what about the oil in the crankcase?  How long were they allowed to site one lowered before starting up.  Imagine all the oil at sitting at the front of the engine, then suddenly starting up before it's all drained back.  Even if enough had drained back to the pick up to prevent starvation on start up, I wonder what the effect of all that oil high up in the front of the engine had.  Now that's bad enough in warm weather.  Imagine a cold northern winter day with the thick oils of the time.  Seriously, I want to know how this worked.

Types of Engine Bearing Damage | KnowYourParts

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/7/20 10:43 a.m.

Local guy has a MIG (don't know which one) but he puts n airshows and occasionally takes people up for rides. 

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/7/20 12:45 p.m.

check the wheel out on this bad boy. 

Driver was wearing a p-100 mask, gloves, and was scratching eyes. 

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
4/7/20 12:52 p.m.
914Driver said:

Local guy has a MIG (don't know which one) but he puts n airshows and occasionally takes people up for rides. 

That is a  MIG 15  tw0 seat trainer. It could be a MIG 17  but I  don't think the 17 was built as a 2 seater. A MIG17 has an afterburner. mig 17 using the afterburner.  

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/7/20 1:56 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

I"ve asked the question before when I've seen this pic but never got an answer.  It looks from the guy in the green car they are driven on, and possibly driven off.  What did they do about the oil in the crank case plus gas in the tank.  The cars weren't designed to be stood on their nose like that.  I wonder a) how much gas leaked out and b) what about the oil in the crankcase?  How long were they allowed to site one lowered before starting up.  Imagine all the oil at sitting at the front of the engine, then suddenly starting up before it's all drained back.  Even if enough had drained back to the pick up to prevent starvation on start up, I wonder what the effect of all that oil high up in the front of the engine had.  Now that's bad enough in warm weather.  Imagine a cold northern winter day with the thick oils of the time.  Seriously, I want to know how this worked.

Actually, Vegas WERE designed to be stood on their nose like that.

Specifically so they could ship them like that.

Your concerns aren't really valid because the oil returns to the pickup pretty much as fast as the car gets lowered.  The sump's capacity may be getting completely pumped out 30-50 times per minute at road speed.

Now, let's talk about keeping air out of the brake system, keeping the battery from leaking out, keeping the trans fluid in the trans and not draining out of the dipstick tube, keeping the coolant in the overflow tank...

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
4/7/20 2:07 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Adrian_Thompson said:

Actually, Vegas WERE designed to be stood on their nose like that.

Specifically so they could ship them like that.

Your concerns aren't really valid because the oil returns to the pickup pretty much as fast as the car gets lowered.  The sump's capacity may be getting completely pumped out 30-50 times per minute at road speed.

Now, let's talk about keeping air out of the brake system, keeping the battery from leaking out, keeping the trans fluid in the trans and not draining out of the dipstick tube, keeping the coolant in the overflow tank...

Posted the picture from google today after learning about the overall method from the inside. Here's the part of the accompanying text related to your questions!

"The vehicles are simply driven onto the box doors and require no special mechanical operations to be fastened into place on the door. This is accomplished by means of four cast steel sockets which have been previously inserted in the underbody of just those vehicles to be shipped via Vert-A-Pac. While the box car door is being closed, the Vegas roll forward and downward as the door is lifted above the horizontal, and the sockets engage hooks which are a fixed part of the door. As the box car door is completely closed the Vega 2300’s are suspended nose down with the total weight supported on these four hooks.

The box car doors are designed so that safety catches lock behind the lower sockets of each vehicle to ensure that the vehicle has engaged properly and to prevent vertical displacement from the hooks during shipment. A special lift fork that can be handled by any standard lift truck of the proper size is used to close each door and cannot be removed until the doors are properly closed and locked.

When the box car reaches the destination, the doors are opened, and the sockets will disengage from the hooks and allow the vehicles to roll rearward within the door wheel wells as the door swings down and reaches a point just below the horizontal. The Vega 2300’s can then be started and driven off the box car door.

Several special provisions have been designed into the Vega to make this method of shipping possible such as an engine oil pan baffle to contain the oil and restrict slosh during shipment. Other provisions for only those vehicles to be shipped Vert-A-Pac include a battery with special baffles and fill caps at the rear which prevent any leakage. Also, a special hose allows the fuel in the carburetor and line to pass to the evaporative emissions cannister, and the fuel line is plugged to prevent any possible fuel leakage. Special plastic spacers restrict the engine motion, and these are removed by the dealer who also services the above fuel lines."

I'm sure there were more special accommodations made, but it sounds like many parts of the vehicle were designed around being shipped like this. Pretty cool.

Obligatory HOtlink:

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/7/20 2:08 p.m.

The one I see is definitely a two seater, I prefer slower and quieter.

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
4/7/20 2:15 p.m.

In reply to classicJackets (FS) :

(I'm not requoting all that)

THat's pretty cool, but does anyone else thing hilarity ensued as standard 70's American quality control was factored into those special hooks on the train doors? Or when Bubba Wrenchalot forgot about those fuel system pieces before the car was sold?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/7/20 3:31 p.m.
Brett_Murphy (Forum Supporter) said:

That's the ring gear, so they really should be crossing out all the numbers...

1 ... 4069 4070 4071 4072 4073 ... 4722

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LjdqpGr3GAgkMmWeEvrOOjKo0ruLKwiI8Wf2J0L7tWYqAttX1nM4c5xklQCqjlyR