NickD
NickD UltimaDork
5/12/20 7:14 a.m.

Wxdude10 - Mike
Wxdude10 - Mike Reader
5/12/20 7:52 a.m.
Aaron_King said:

Putting some stickers to good use:

So much better than the typical techy stickers that everyone puts on their laptops.  

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
5/12/20 7:58 a.m.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/12/20 8:50 a.m.
Carbon (Forum Supporter) said:
Donebrokeit said:

I want one of those so badly. (An amphibious plane that I can live in generally, but a pby Catalina specifically is the possibly attainable goal, we’ll see)

I know where you can get one cheap: Saudi Arabia

Interesting story, guy was refurbishing and selling as flying RV's. Got shot at in Saudi Arabia and its been sitting there since the 1960's

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/12/20 9:01 a.m.

Sorry for the quality of the picture. I just haven't seen one of this vintage out in the wild for a long time.

5/12/20 9:06 a.m.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/12/20 9:07 a.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

I thought this was real. Then I thought it was a joke. Then I realized it could be real, it's not far off.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/12/20 9:16 a.m.
Donebrokeit said:

I want one of those so badly. (An amphibious plane that I can live in generally, but a pby Catalina specifically is the possibly attainable goal, we’ll see)

There was a nice write up in AOPA on one a guy restored to wheel around with the wife and kids; if I can find it I will send it to you.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/12/20 9:17 a.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/12/20 9:28 a.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/12/20 9:28 a.m.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/12/20 2:58 p.m.

I never new these existed before.  These are Rove concepts from the 90's for a Mini replacement, including a 5 door.  Personally I'm really glad BMW got the reins and gave us the R50/R53 instead.  So much better looking than these jokes.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/12/20 3:05 p.m.

Carbon (Forum Supporter)
Carbon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/12/20 4:58 p.m.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) said:
Donebrokeit said:

I know where you can get one cheap: Saudi Arabia

Interesting story, guy was refurbishing and selling as flying RV's. Got shot at in Saudi Arabia and its been sitting there since the 1960's

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/424/Sweet-Dreams-and-Nightmares.aspx

Shower in a catalina hotlink. If it’s too warm a hotlink, I can take it down. It’s from that article

also, shame on all of you, she’s probably 90years old. . 

Toyman01 (Forum Supporter)
Toyman01 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/12/20 5:19 p.m.
914Driver said:

Someone let out the throttle. 

Someone else should have. 

jgrewe
jgrewe Reader
5/12/20 6:08 p.m.

Catalinas are so cool. Read up on the Black Cats if you haven't yet.   You could get them pretty cheap when I was flying a lot.  I looked into them and a few of the Grumman offerings.  I remember the care a feeding of those radials being the biggest expense.  Figure on 100 gals/hr of fuel and a couple gals of oil/hr.  And that only takes you 145 miles.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit UltraDork
5/12/20 6:10 p.m.

Gary
Gary UltraDork
5/12/20 9:42 p.m.
jgrewe said:

Catalinas are so cool. Read up on the Black Cats if you haven't yet.   You could get them pretty cheap when I was flying a lot.  I looked into them and a few of the Grumman offerings.  I remember the care a feeding of those radials being the biggest expense.  Figure on 100 gals/hr of fuel and a couple gals of oil/hr.  And that only takes you 145 miles.

Black Cats. Thanks for mentioning. Annie's fantastic dad Henry was a radio man and gunner on a Catalina with the Black Cat squadron flying out of Hawaii during WWII. Fortunately he did more as a radio man and less as a gunner and survived the war, came home to CT, married the great woman Jenny, and lead a successful life afterwards. And as such, I'm a lucky man and forever grateful to Henry and Jenny!

Obligatory unrelated pic which I took in a Paris cafe:

barefootskater
barefootskater SuperDork
5/12/20 10:05 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:

I never new these existed before.  These are Rove concepts from the 90's for a Mini replacement, including a 5 door.  Personally I'm really glad BMW got the reins and gave us the R50/R53 instead.  So much better looking than these jokes.

Your opinion is both valid, and wrong. I'd rock that 5 door so hard. So hard. 

5/12/20 10:48 p.m.

Very close friend of my dad flew submarine patrol out of Greenland in the North Atlantic on a PBY 5A. 

They saw absolutely zero action for months, then one day they dropped below the intermittent cloud cover, right over top of a German sub that was on the surface. It was a relatively warm day, and there was laundry all over the place, and the sailors had their shirts off.

They circled around, and sunk it. Nothing came up but an oil slick.

Poor Aubrey had nightmares for the rest of his life. He'd been within a few hundred feet of those guys, had looked into their eyes, and he released the bomb that killed them.

Edit for photo-

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
5/12/20 10:57 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:

Why are we hotlinking pictures of 90's Toyota minivans?

Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

That Really looks like a roll of insulation. Sweet, Delicious insulation.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/13/20 7:21 a.m.

1 ... 4104 4105 4106 4107 4108 ... 4723

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
G5WqgQjbAcj6EOS9GXOav54hg8U00d1TENQXQuaLO1Tsanb0sxTx9QCq6pQEzfke