Sparkydog
Sparkydog HalfDork
4/20/21 12:48 p.m.

In reply to RX Reven' :

Also cool in the Sac airport is the freakishly large rabbit:

Gary
Gary UltraDork
4/20/21 2:52 p.m.

Not hot links, but my Spitfire went to a new home this morning. My friend Howie took it away for a fair price. He has new plans and an abundance of enthusiasm and energy to finish it. He's happy. I'm happy.

Here's the Spit's new home, about a quarter mile from my house. I have visitation rights and can go over to watch progress anytime. Note the other cars in Howie's garage.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/21/21 3:52 a.m.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/21/21 7:38 a.m.
Duke said:
bentwrench said:
914Driver said:

@ the Indianapolis airport.

There is something rattling around in my head regarding airports and abandoned luggage.....

Are any of them ticking? More distressing is that something appears to be leaking!

I thought those exact same things.  I also though it wasn't a great idea to emphasize beat up suitcases to people about to hand their own over to the tender loving care of the baggage handling system.

My thought was that's a great place to hide 'unattended baggage' so no one notices it until the perp is long gone.  Then Kaboom.  

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/21/21 8:29 a.m.

We've got a table on the front porch made of an antique suitcase, inside are coasters, bottle openers and candles.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
4/21/21 9:03 a.m.

Three years ago today a 66 year old showed up at the local MINI dealer for a little autocross event they had going. Old guy sets FTD !

May be an image of 2 people, including Warren Martin and people smiling

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/21/21 11:19 a.m.

Burt Rutan made a motor glider in the 80s.

The Solitare

Gary
Gary UltraDork
4/21/21 1:45 p.m.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/21/21 1:59 p.m.

Distant personal connection for me: Bert Rutan's brother Dick Rutan, and the aviator Jeana Yeager completed the first non stop round the world flight that was completed without refueling. 

My dad went on a blind date with Jeana a year or two later. 

Simulation, not an actual photo. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/21/21 2:06 p.m.

Actual photo, Spitfire intercept of a V1. As I understand it, the Spitfire could catch the V1 if it dove to gain speed.

Flying wingtip to wingtip, the vortices would tip the V1 enough to upset the gyros and put the rocket off course. 

Extremely dangerous maneuver. 

Anyone more knowledgeable, please comment. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/21/21 2:46 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

The Canards have gotten largerer but I like the idea.  This is a Q-200, pretty fast as a Light Sport, but I would E36 M3 myself if the engine died.  Glide ratio like a Volvo?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/21/21 3:01 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

I believe the Spit would actually roll away from the buzzbomb so the wingtip flipped it up on its side. Once the V1 rolled about 30d the gyro was out of whack and it would crash. How that was supposed to be better than just shooting them down I'm not sure.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/21/21 3:18 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

The only 100% sure kill with a fighter was to "wax his tail with your prop" when firing.  Easy to miss with head-on and other strategies, and it's not like you could easily catch up to a rocket.

Probably a bad idea to get too close to the exhaust of a rocket engine, too.

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
4/21/21 4:45 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

IIRC, it was a surprisingly difficult target to hit unless you were REALLY close.  If you were REALLY close, odds were a secondary would be injurious to self and/or plane.  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/21/21 7:55 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

Quickies are light for a 2 place machine. It's when builders start adding leather, sound deadening, doo-dads and gee-gaws that they get into trouble.  Almost all homebuilt designers rail against this phenomenon. Burt was no different.

You'd like Leeon Davis' DA-11. The guy was a fiend for weight. Every bulkhead was swiss cheese. Even the seat pan. Power was...an 18hp Briggs & Stratton Vanguard mower engine.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/22/21 6:43 a.m.

Now with an aging pilot community that can't pass the medical, Light Sports (no medical required) the price of LS planes are out of sight!

I like the tandem seating Sky Arrow.

4/22/21 7:58 a.m.

Yes I want to know more too, but I have no details.

4/22/21 8:01 a.m.
914Driver said:

Now with an aging pilot community that can't pass the medical, Light Sports (no medical required) the price of LS planes are out of sight!

I like the tandem seating Sky Arrow.

I thought that they now had basic medical for all single engine light aircraft diminishing the need for Light Sport.  Also what happened to redefining Light Sport weight, power, speed etc.  that would have allowed at least things like C150/152, Cherokee 140/150 etc. to come under LS?  There was a lot of talk about that a few years ago when I was hot to learn to fly before financial priorities and reality raised their ugly heads again.

slantvaliant (Forum Supporter)
slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/22/21 8:19 a.m.

Re V1:  The V1 used a pulse jet gasoline engine, not a rocket.

And I think the idea of crashing them was that they would fall into farmland instead of cities.

Kinda related:  Japanese Baka.  Now, it had rocket engines, and a payload, and a pilot.  No real veteran pilots, though ...

j_tso
j_tso Reader
4/22/21 8:41 a.m.

In reply to slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) :

I had to look that up and make sure Baka wasn't its actual name or wasn't a homophone for "fool." Baka was the name we gave it, it's an Ohka.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/22/21 9:54 a.m.

Every fall I hear it will be implemented by spring. 

I lean toward motor gliders.  The transition from glider to power is easier and if something happens you have a 25:1 glide to find answers or hunt a landing spot.  Mine was like the orange & white one.  Roomy two seater with luggage space, cruises at 120 knots and burns ~2 gph.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/22/21 2:18 p.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/22/21 6:30 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

They only way we are going to get a light sport aircraft is if we build it ourselves. 

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit UltraDork
4/22/21 7:50 p.m.
noddaz said:

One of the many reasons I left.

1 ... 4315 4316 4317 4318 4319 ... 4722

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZGWgoLsetSpL73M0uDRvkDbSOk2JRdLJL2Ip2djBMs1bvewLLSU8fAbCYyjA7P0B