1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 4721
DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Dork
3/30/10 7:54 p.m.

So is copying and pasting a link stealing as well? I didn't know if I loaded a picture to flickr and Mr. Bojangles says "Sweet that picture is badass" and right clicks, copy image url, and post it to a forum to show his buddies, and I get more hits on my flickr account, this is considered stealing? I guess you do learn something new everyday.

I mean, I was always under the assumption that stealing was physically taking something that wasn't yours and claiming it as your own. I don't understand how "hotlinking" is claiming something as your own, you are simply linking a picture to show your forum buddies something cool that someone else has hosted. We aren't going around saying "ZOMG LOOK AT THIS PICTURE I JUST TOOK, LOADED TO MY OWN SERVER, AND POSTING IT TO GRM, ISN'T IT COOL?!?!?!?! ZOMG!!!!!"

Would you like it better if I gave credit to the website I'm hotlinking frp,? Would that wet your hwhistle?

I hotlinked this picture from vegasstripping.com

mk2mer
mk2mer New Reader
3/30/10 7:54 p.m.
Marty! wrote:
Appleseed wrote: So how does one hotlink? No. Stop it. I'm being serious, how do you hotlink?
First you googlez your favorite topic like "hong beer pic" and see what comes up. Once you find said image you right click and "copy image URL". Then in GRM click add post and above the smileys there is a camera, click and paste the image URL in that box, sometimes you may have to put the cursor before the text and hit return to make it show in the preview box, add post and your hotlinking. Oh, and here;s what shows up when you do search for "hong beer pic"

I typed in my name followed by beer pic and this image came up. Thank God for that.....

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy Reader
3/30/10 8:27 p.m.

Holy crap, it worked! I'm linking pictures for EVERYTHING now!

The 41 Neon is my Ministock car, which has nothing to do with whatever the heck this thread is (or used to be) about.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
3/30/10 8:54 p.m.

I'm still trying to figure out why it's okay for me to copy ("steal") a pic I've found, upload it to my photobucket account, and use that for my link instead of just hotlinking to the photo itself. Perhaps I'm missing something here?

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
3/30/10 8:58 p.m.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
3/30/10 8:59 p.m.

Crap. No Frauleins for me :(

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/30/10 8:59 p.m.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
3/30/10 9:16 p.m.
John Brown wrote:

Looks like that ain't his first mug shot.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2363736_make-jail-tattoo.html

3/30/10 9:20 p.m.

^^^ Amateurs

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/30/10 9:29 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Crap. No Frauleins for me :(

You got the dead one, I got the baby one.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
3/31/10 7:06 a.m.

meh...mines pretty good!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
3/31/10 7:08 a.m.
Marty! wrote:

SCHAAAAAAWIIIIING!!!!

zomby woof
zomby woof HalfDork
3/31/10 8:03 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: ^^^ Amateurs

On another forum I frequent, there is a thread for posting pics of your better half.

I posted that pic as my wife.

I actually married a beer drinking Fraulein, not dissimilar to the three posted

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
3/31/10 8:31 a.m.

The first entry with my name and "beer pic" was lame, but this was the second:

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
3/31/10 8:33 a.m.
JeffHarbert wrote: In reply to Chris_V: If you can't click on it, it's not a link. That's a pretty glaring piece of ignorance for someone trying to lecture me on how the internet works.

Uh, no. The picture is linked to (i.e it's hosted somewhere else, using that server's bandwith, by using the img src tags). It's exactly what you are complaining about, which is the point of the images you get when you try to link to a pic like that that instead come up with:

definition

Hotlinking is is direct linking to a web site’s files (images, video, etc.). An example would be using an < img > tag to display a JPEG image you found on someone else's web page so it will appear on your own site, eBay auction listing, weblog, forum message post, etc. When you right click an image's properties, like I did, and post that link inside an img tag to a forum, it is, in fact, hotlinking. That's the damn definition. It has nothing to do with the image also BEING a clickable link.

And yes, I have to lecture you on how the internet works, because apparently you have no clue. The ability to display content from one site within another is part of the original design of the Web's hypertext medium. If I go to this site:

Custom Mercury

And post this picture here:

Then it is a hotlinked picture, as i linked to the file directly:

http : // www . hotrodscustomstuff . com/Cars/Blue Merc/1950-mercury-01-03.jpg

Notice the http:// ? That makes the img tag an inline link. It's not clickable, due to not being an href tag, but it is a hypertext link nonetheless. And all links are functionally equal in HTTP.

Yes, this uses up a bit of the server's bandwidth every time someone views it. Of course, if I simply linked to the website and said "go look at the pictures there" it uses up the SAME bandwidth. In fact, it would use up more, becasue instead of loading just ONE picture, the browser would load ALL the pictures on that page at once. And if the same number of people go there that read the post, then there is MORE bandwidth being used than if I simply post ONE picture here, and only THAT picture is loaded by everyone that reads the thread.

But, the point of being able to link directly to files like that picture is to be able to do exactly that. Post one image from a site that is relevant to a conversation, rather than force everyone to go to that site and look at everything (unless they choose to do so). But that's WHY you put images on the web, or any web site: to get viewed. If you don't want it viewed, then don't put it on the web. The cost of bandwidth is simply the cost of being on the web. It's not stealing if a bunch of people are looking at your site OR your images. PERIOD. You have confused an actual cost with a theft, and they are two separate things.

The ONLY time it's STEALING is if someone takes your image and uses it as their own, as Keith described.

"The most significant legal fact about inline linking, relative to copyright law considerations, is that the inline linker does not place a copy of the image file on its own Internet server. Rather, the inline linker places a pointer on its Internet server that points to the server on which the proprietor of the image has placed the image file."

This means that what you proposed in your first post actually can violate copyright law, whereas simply linking to the file directly does not, as you are not delivering a copy, but linking directly to the original.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
3/31/10 8:36 a.m.
zomby woof wrote: I actually married a beer drinking Fraulein, not dissimilar to the three posted

hotlink some pics or she doesnt exist

zomby woof
zomby woof HalfDork
3/31/10 8:44 a.m.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
3/31/10 9:40 a.m.

now in skimpy lederhosen or she doesnt exist

what you cant blame a guy for trying

cghstang
cghstang Reader
3/31/10 10:59 a.m.

Just because I want to try "hotlinking" the easy way and this is one of my new favorite threads:

I had always tried to type in the code jargon myself and never had much success.

Matt B
Matt B Reader
3/31/10 11:09 a.m.
John Brown wrote:

The ninja stars on his cheeks are a nice touch. Says, "I'm a racist bob costas AND a ninja, so don't mess with me. Also, I like it when there's F.U.N. on my chin . . . errr, wait"

Other than that I can only add that as a web designer, hotlinking has never been an issue for me or my clients over the 5 years I've been doing this. They pay the same for hosting every month.

Believe it or not, it's been an interesting discussion for me, for obvious reasons. I'm actually glad Jeff posted it. That, and all the hilarious hotlinking going on.

mk2mer
mk2mer New Reader
3/31/10 11:09 a.m.

Skimpy lederhosen

Marty!
Marty! HalfDork
3/31/10 2:54 p.m.

Because I'm a sucker for a hot chick with beer......

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer UltimaDork
3/31/10 3:00 p.m.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Marketing / Club Coordinator
3/31/10 3:44 p.m.
Keith wrote: BTW, Tom, has the server log twitched on that picture yet?

Sorry it took me a while to see this; the signal to noise ratio on this thread is way out of spec. The scenery isn't all bad, but the discussion keeps getting lost in between girl parts.

Overall site traffic is a bit up, but nothing I can attribute to that photo. Our server doesn't mind a bit.

3/31/10 3:55 p.m.

Did someone say girl parts?

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 4721

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
A4CKudJhsIMQXBb1sujozAfRaZukUPD6a2RxMTz7ayvzBjimi09510fsMoMdOH25