1 2
Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
2/22/24 7:31 a.m.
914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/22/24 8:02 a.m.

How long before someone suggests this is the result of tweaking China's nose, or Aliens, or Russian interference.....?  Oy.

gunner (Forum Supporter)
gunner (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/22/24 8:12 a.m.

Thanks for posting that Marjorie. When my phone said it didn't have connection this morning and without thinking I turned on wifi and it connected through that, I didn't give it a second thought. Both my internet and phone plan are at&t so Im just glad my wifi still works at this point.

eastpark
eastpark HalfDork
2/22/24 8:13 a.m.

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
2/22/24 8:48 a.m.

Ruskies!  or subterranean monsters are chewing the lines you know the ones in the sky.  Maybe it was a solar flare.

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/22/24 9:02 a.m.

I have an AT&T phone and a Verizon, the AT&T is down, Verizon is working. 

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
2/22/24 9:03 a.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

Flare would've affected all carriers equally, while this is mostly concentrated on AT&T--and since they're relying on Down Detector for their news source, quite possible the reports of issues with other carriers are due to their customers trying to call or text an AT&T user.

That leaves equipment/software failure or cyberattack as most likely issue.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
2/22/24 9:25 a.m.
914Driver said:

How long before someone suggests this is the result of tweaking China's nose, or Aliens, or Russian interference.....?  Oy.

Right now as it's a very high possibility no matter what your political views are. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/22/24 10:20 a.m.
DirtyBird222 said:
914Driver said:

Right now as it's a very high possibility no matter what your political views are. 

agreed. My guess is a hack. Ot it could be plain ol' incompetance with a bad software update

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
2/22/24 10:23 a.m.

NermalSnert (Forum Supporter)
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
2/22/24 10:26 a.m.

Dammit! Where's my foil hat.

porschenut
porschenut Dork
2/22/24 10:34 a.m.

If it is a hack why would they hit ATT only?  My vote is software.  They suck at software upgrades, their IT dept is weak. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/22/24 10:34 a.m.
bobzilla said:
DirtyBird222 said:
914Driver said:

agreed. My guess is a hack. Ot it could be plain ol' incompetance with a bad software update

My first thought was bad software update. Sometimes no matter how many test runs, QA, test accounts, even production accounts, when it gets a wide roll out there can be unforeseen issues. 

HotNotch
HotNotch Reader
2/22/24 11:10 a.m.

Nanobeavers?  Nanobeavers

NermalSnert (Forum Supporter)
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
2/22/24 11:21 a.m.

https://nepp.nasa.gov/whisker/background/index.htm

In reply to HotNotch :

Tin Whiskers Tin Whiskers

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/22/24 11:35 a.m.

I had to chuckle, or wonder, when I saw a post on my Facebook feed about the cellular outages, and then the next post I saw was asking if anyone else in my area saw the meteor this morning... Coincidence??? Hahahalaugh

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/22/24 12:08 p.m.
porschenut said:

If it is a hack why would they hit ATT only?  My vote is software.  They suck at software upgrades, their IT dept is weak. 

You answered your first question. Besides its also been Verizon and some T-Mobile. ATT was just hit worse. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/22/24 12:14 p.m.

I have been WFH all day so my AT+T phone has just been using home WiFi, so I didn't notice anything.

Haven't tried making a call, but currently showing 3 bars connectivity.

[edit]  OK, turned off WiFi and it still seems to be reaching internet, so I guess we're up here.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
2/22/24 12:17 p.m.
z31maniac said:
bobzilla said:
DirtyBird222 said:
914Driver said:

My first thought was bad software update. Sometimes no matter how many test runs, QA, test accounts, even production accounts, when it gets a wide roll out there can be unforeseen issues. 

Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
2/22/24 12:24 p.m.

Looks like it hit a really broad list - some just worse than others according to DownDetector

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
2/22/24 12:29 p.m.
84FSP said:

Looks like it hit a really broad list - some just worse than others according to DownDetector

Most of those smaller ones piggyback off of the larger networks.

Last I checked Cricket, my provider, runs off AT&T 

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
2/22/24 1:29 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Fair point - my AT&T phone was down till 11ish while my Tmobile work line had no issues.  From reading it started pretty early this morning so maybe some providers were able to get things sorted faster than others. 

Still have my tinfoil hat ready to hear what the cause is.

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/22/24 1:39 p.m.

I had to drive to work this morning so I could tell my supervisor in person that I had to appear for jury duty.  Only 10 miles out of my way. My Crapcast modem died last night & my cell phone (on AT&T reseller) had no service this morning. Last update of the weather widget on my phone was 3:20 am. The text I tried to send him at 7:00 am went through at 12:44 pm.

camopaint0707
camopaint0707 Reader
2/22/24 2:12 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

Idk, I just watched leave the world behind, and thats kind of how it starts.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/22/24 2:48 p.m.

Im just happy to be back up and running  since my livelihood depends upon my at&t phone and im completely mobile. No wifi, no desk, nothing but my cell and mobile data.....

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hiVc8GSFSgqgGqRsT30BpOz0dSKcPBFEJfbu8vUc3neSmZuzbBOyhEeN0qdiiZNn