6/25/11 10:48 p.m.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
6/25/11 11:18 p.m.

Just got back... All I can say is that this crowd had better go see it

madmallard
madmallard Reader
6/25/11 11:49 p.m.

it surprises anyone that a Hollywood animation production, or any entertainment industry production, carries a huge political chip on its shoulder most of the time? Look at anything not directly based of a fairy tale (and in some cases like Miyazaki, included those too).

Remember Happy Feet? That movie even had the 'death of an old God' in it, for Petesake...

Just reduce it in importance to 'just entertainment' to give it its appropriate value, then you can watch it.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/26/11 12:22 a.m.

Some see a cartoon, some see a political statement. It all depends what you're looking for.

Me, I loved it. Tokyo was awesome. The Whitworth stuff sure struck a chord. Who else immediately thought "that sounds like a second generation Rangie"?

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
6/26/11 12:31 a.m.
madmallard wrote: Just reduce it in importance to 'just entertainment' to give it its appropriate value, then you can watch it.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese Dork
6/26/11 12:48 a.m.
Keith wrote: Some see a cartoon, some see a political statement. It all depends what you're looking for. Me, I loved it. Tokyo was awesome. The Whitworth stuff sure struck a chord. Who else immediately thought "that sounds like a second generation Rangie"?

I tried explaining that it was a Rover motor to my wife and she didn't get it. She put 2 and two together about 20 minutes later.

What about when they take Mater shopping? I was doing the Ken Block motion as that car did what it did.

I'm avoiding spoiling things as much as possible here. That's why I'm not being very specific.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/26/11 7:15 a.m.

They needed some kind of story line to make the movie. Since so many racing series are using some type of alternative fuel, diesel, ethanol, ect it wasn't that far fetched.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
6/26/11 5:00 p.m.

Okay, y'all have talked me into it. I skipped the first one on purpose after hearing the lead character was a NASCAR star, just figured it wouldn't have much for me. Didn't see it until my visitation weekend came around, and my daughter had the DVD. Man, was I wrong! The thing with Lightning chasing Sally through the mountains almost brought me to tears..years earlier I had the wonderful opportunity to chase a g/f around Road Atlanta in our street cars (it was like dancing with her). And of course, the the Easter eggs (IIRC I actually paused it and looked up Mario's old USAC stock car on the internet!) & the ending were great!

I still swear Chick Hicks was a commentary on Dale Sr. ..

Don't know how they'll beat the first one, but since I should have trusted them last time..I figure I owe em one.

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
6/26/11 6:43 p.m.
John Brown wrote:
carguy123 wrote:
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: *NOT STARTING A POLITICAL ARGUEMENT THREAD*
Has there ever been a film when Big Oil was the hero?
There will be blood!

I'm an oil man. Have been all my life. But I'm also a family man.

Where did they get the title to that damn movie anyway? I really went into that one expecting something other than countless inside jokes with a couple of friends of mine for a solid year.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
6/26/11 7:08 p.m.

One of my favorite parts of the first one was where Doc teaches Lightning McQueen (McQueen's an old name in my family, BTW) how to slide through a turn. Kick the rear out with the throttle, turn into the slide, then steer with the gas.... yeah.

fastmiata
fastmiata HalfDork
6/26/11 7:15 p.m.

Waiting until the 4th of July weekend to go see the movie. I can only hope that the second one is as good as the first. I saw something different everytime I watch C1. The cadillac fins in the mountain range is just an example.

Jay_W
Jay_W HalfDork
6/26/11 7:59 p.m.

OK so I knew I wasn't the only one who thought the first one was great. But I am starting to wonder if I'm the only one who is disappointed (but not at all surprised) that the nascar and the porsche didn't get married and get busy? Am I the only one that screwed up in the head? Do I really wanna know the answer to that question? Cuz I reeeeally wanna see what their kid would be like. Dad's a tube frame monster V8 racer, Mom's a sophisticated rearmount flat 6 sportscar. So Junior, what's he gonna be like?

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/26/11 8:44 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: And of course, the the Easter eggs (IIRC I actually paused it and looked up Mario's old USAC stock car on the internet!) & the ending were great! I

It was the car he won the 67 Daytona 500 with. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs7HsSYCZ6U

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
6/26/11 9:01 p.m.
Grtechguy wrote: I loved it! definitely dragging the kids to the new one. Doc Hudson was my favorite character in the 1st.

They gave a tip of the hat to Paul Newman (voice of Doc Hudson) in the second one. Mater tells Lightning that Doc "would have been proud", indicating that he had passed away. Paul Newman (also a great car racer) passed away in 2008.

I thought it was cool that they didn't try to give the character a different voice, and gave a subtle nod of respect to the great PN.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
6/26/11 9:02 p.m.

Taking my nephew tomorrow

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
6/26/11 9:03 p.m.

I saw it yesterday.

I challenge any REAL car geek to list the makes and models of cool cars shown. It was well over 100. Lots of classic European metal.

Oh, and any movie that has a Yugo for the bad guy has to be all right!

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/26/11 10:40 p.m.

A Yugo, a bunch of AMCs and a "That one vehicle that will not be revealed because I don't like spoilers"!

friedgreencorrado
6/26/11 11:03 p.m.
Wally wrote:
friedgreencorrado wrote: And of course, the the Easter eggs (IIRC I actually paused it and looked up Mario's old USAC stock car on the internet!) & the ending were great! I
It was the car he won the 67 Daytona 500 with. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs7HsSYCZ6U

Thanks, Wally! That was great.

friedgreencorrado
6/26/11 11:14 p.m.
Jay_W wrote: OK so I knew I wasn't the only one who thought the first one was great. But I am starting to wonder if I'm the only one who is disappointed (but not at all surprised) that the nascar and the porsche didn't get married and get busy? Am I the only one that screwed up in the head? Do I really wanna know the answer to that question? Cuz I reeeeally wanna see what their kid would be like. Dad's a tube frame monster V8 racer, Mom's a sophisticated rearmount flat 6 sportscar. So Junior, what's he gonna be like?

Not screwed in the head, just not enough imagination!

Porsche GT3 Cup car, of course. Tub, meet tubes! Street, meet race!

Half her, half him! To me, it's a no-brainer..but I'm just weird that way..

Derick Freese
Derick Freese Dork
6/27/11 12:34 a.m.

Actually, I like that there is nothing in either movie that tells us where new cars come from. This movie has planes and boats, so I can assume they have robots that build new cars. It's like one of those shows where they remove human life. In the case of Cars, the cars themselves became the dominant species. Think Skynet without the wars and killing.

Pixar leaves out stuff intentionally to make a popcorn movie deep enough to provoke thought. I haven't seen a Pixar movie I didn't like yet, and I doubt I will. A Bug's Life was close, but it's still more watchable than any of the Twilight movies.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid HalfDork
6/27/11 7:51 a.m.

Well I'm going today to see it with the wife. I'll be wearing my hat I bought from the first movie.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
6/27/11 8:15 a.m.

I liked it but I dont think ot was as good as the first one. I love some of the small details they throw in the movie like the American spies license plate being M1911 and the Prince's (the Bentley) wheels being patterned after the British flag. Also love how they had bad Lewis Hamilton in it.

scardeal
scardeal HalfDork
6/27/11 8:20 a.m.

I really enjoyed it. I caught a number of 240Zs in the Tokyo scene.

This had much more car action than Fast Five...

yamaha
yamaha Reader
6/27/11 9:28 a.m.

In reply to JoeyM:

that didn't work out too well in the end either...... :What, too soon?: lol

Klayfish
Klayfish Reader
6/27/11 9:34 a.m.

We took our kids to see it on Friday. It was much anticipated in our house. My oldest is now 7, so he was about 3 or 4 when the first one came out. I've probably seen that movie a few hundred times and spent who knows how much on toys and other crap. I have to say I was pretty disappointed with this movie. As a car nut, it was cool. Lots of cool cars, great attention to detail. But the plot was way overdone. The first movie was such a simple theme and I think that was some of the beauty of it. This one confused my 7 year old, and I didn't even bother trying to explain much to my near 4 year old twins except that it was about cars and racing. It had it's good moments, but it could have been much better. Frankly, I liked the short Toy Store cartoon they showed first better.

So, I'll give it a rating of 5 spark plugs out of 8.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9DVm0NhGgDjekHPHVNJT9DKYkso0nLtIXPm7VcbmO9N82oofO2tDqYW8cSNpQS0G