1 2 3
stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/20/14 9:12 a.m.

In reply to N Sperlo:

Was it a Cobra 75 WX ST?

I was going to get one for my Jeep since its tiny and space is a premium but I feared that I wouldn't be able to hear the speaker in a topless, doorless Jeep. Lots of people have them and like them alot. They have a seperate power box that is mounted remotely. It's pretty slick.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
5/20/14 9:14 a.m.

In reply to stanger_missle:

That would be it. I think I hooked an external speaker to it because it wasn't loud enough.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
5/20/14 9:17 a.m.

In reply to N Sperlo:

Still available on amazon.

drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
5/20/14 10:53 p.m.
Woody wrote: Are they still illegal in Canada?

They were never illegal in Canada. In the past you needed a radio license to use one,and had to use a call sign instead of a handle. Back then the call sign and handle were easy to get.

Nowadays they are unrestricted. The last year you need a radio License in Canada to use one was 1990if my memory is correct.

drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
5/20/14 11:06 p.m.
Gimp wrote: I had one with an illegal booster back in high school. Turns out CB-Sex is a thing. A terrible thing.

HOLD UP A SECOND THERE GIMP!!!!!

It can be a terrible thing!!!! But not always..

"Dear Penthouse Forum!!!"

I used to have a base station. Pre-internet I got talking to a comely lass who's voice I recognized. It was a girl I went to high school with. She was a year younger than me but I recognized the voice because I was smitten with her. Her dad had a CB base station and a ham radio setup along with a huge antenna..... Soon my antenna became H***.

To make a long story short. I talked to her on CB, met up with her and knocked boots with her... I would elaborate more, but this is GRM Forum not Penthouse Forum.

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid Dork
5/21/14 4:13 p.m.

I still have the cb I bought frpm the mid 90s when there was many groups that would chat around here. It deied out after a couple years. I know my magnat mount was a small husler that really worked quite well for it beinf small. The cb was a 40 channel cobra I think thai had cliped and peaked and was pretty good. Should pull it out and se if it still works.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
5/21/14 6:32 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: Heh, heh. < src="http://clickamericana.com/wp-content/uploads/CB-radio-ads-kmart-Anderson-Herald-Bulletin-December-9-1976-620x1175.jpg" />

I was a little surprised by these prices when the ad image properties says Dec 1976.
In '76 dollars, that seems like a lot of dough.

Sure enough, a quick run over to Amazon shows prices today of similar at $39 to $139.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=cb+radio

This site says that $100 in 1976 is equal to $419.91 in present day. http://www.in2013dollars.com/1976-dollars-in-2014?amount=100

Think of it in terms of what it was used for, A CB back then is like an iPhone today, both in terms of technology and use.

Cool_Hand_Luke
Cool_Hand_Luke Reader
5/21/14 8:41 p.m.

In reply to drsmooth:

And who says a radio hobby is useless!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TcubmL6rOKWlsAhRbu0x7nbw7N13iuaZmQXe1ibq4Djfp0L3WRxpAMxPZLMxbQRT