1 2 3 4
joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
10/3/09 8:46 a.m.

ttp://www.wave3.com/Global/story.asp?S=11224228

suicide? Or something more ominous? Haven't heard muchcanout it either way.

Joey

Josh
Josh HalfDork
10/3/09 8:59 a.m.

I am not exactly surprised to see this. I worked for the census earlier this year, and I was chased and screamed at by a man who said he was going to get his gun and shoot me if I tried to mark the location of his house. The nutbag was screaming at me to leave, while standing in front of my car so I couldn't. I was pretty disappointed at the lack of any sort of repercussions for his actions, there is really no protection in place for the workers when they come up against one of these lunatics. While I was working I remember a story about a worker in Colorado I think that got a gun pulled on them.

carguy123
carguy123 Dork
10/3/09 9:08 a.m.

So you think the census worker has the right to go up to everyone's door and mark it for nefarious purposes? What about the homeowner's rights? What about tresspassing laws?

They got politely told to leave at multiple homes in our neighborhood, if they persisted then the police were called and they ran them off. It was well documented in our neighborhood forum. One guy, a vet from WWII, dressed up in his old uniform and met him at the door and scared the worker enough that he didn't even attempt to come up to his door and mark the house.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
10/3/09 9:39 a.m.

I still think murdering the guy was a little bit of overkill under the circumstances

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
10/3/09 9:45 a.m.
carguy123 wrote: So you think the census worker has the right to go up to everyone's door and mark it for nefarious purposes?

Mark their door for nefarious purposes?

oldsaw
oldsaw Reader
10/3/09 9:46 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote: I still think murdering the guy was a little bit of overkill under the circumstances

No one knows what those "circumstances" were, hence the ongoing investigation.

townsend7
townsend7 New Reader
10/3/09 9:47 a.m.

In reply to carguy123:

Nefarious purposes? Census? Really? What am I missing?

Josh
Josh HalfDork
10/3/09 9:55 a.m.

Yeah, this sounds like a suicide.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2009/sep/26/body-slain-census-worker-naked/

Honestly, carguy, people like you and your buddy in the uniform trying to threaten and scare off innocent people doing a job that is vital to the very operation of a representative democracy are probably the greatest threat to freedom that exists.

To suggest that there are any nefarious purposes to the census only shows your ignorance. There is legally nothing that CAN be done with the data except things that HAVE to be done if we are going to have a free democratic society. We can't have representation unless we count the people to determine representation. This has been accounted for in the constitution since the get go. The reason that we use GPS is simply that it's 2009, and most mapping is done by GPS now. The maps are digital, and the data is easier to collect, aggregate, and reference than before, but it isn't fundamentally any different data than any census before. The data needs to be accurate to determine populations within physical boundaries so that people can be represented fairly in our government. It might be the MOST vital, basic function of our government, and is essentially the prerequisite to any of their activity.

Nobody has the "right" to interfere with this work, just like nobody has the "right" to stop paying taxes because they don't want to. Tresspass laws do not apply to authorized agents of the government. Nothing done by the census bureau infringes on the rights of any homeowner, and none of the information collected can be used by any other agency. If people insist on interfering with this basic function of our government, so be it, but those who do should not delude themselves that they are some sort of patriot by doing so. They are precisely the opposite.

That is all I have to say about this topic. I can't come up with words to adequately express my feelings toward anyone who defends the actions of these brutal killers, suggests that he had it coming, or anything of the sort.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/3/09 9:57 a.m.

That has to be an awful job. most of the people i know are crazy http://www.funnyhub.com/videos/pages/SNL-census-bureau.html#

karlt_10
karlt_10 New Reader
10/3/09 10:26 a.m.

All excellent points

Josh wrote: Honestly, carguy, people like you and your buddy in the uniform trying to threaten and scare off innocent people doing a job that is vital to the very operation of a representative democracy are probably the greatest threat to freedom that exists. To suggest that there are any nefarious purposes to the census only shows your ignorance. There is legally nothing that CAN be done with the data except things that HAVE to be done if we are going to have a free democratic society. We can't have representation unless we count the people to determine representation. This has been accounted for in the constitution since the get go. The reason that we use GPS is simply that it's 2009, and most mapping is done by GPS now. The maps are digital, and the data is easier to collect, aggregate, and reference than before, but it isn't fundamentally any different data than any census before. The data needs to be accurate to determine populations within physical boundaries so that people can be represented fairly in our government. It might be the MOST vital, basic function of our government, and is essentially the prerequisite to any of their activity. Nobody has the "right" to interfere with this work, just like nobody has the "right" to stop paying taxes because they don't want to. Tresspass laws do not apply to authorized agents of the government. Nothing done by the census bureau infringes on the rights of any homeowner, and none of the information collected can be used by any other agency. If people insist on interfering with this basic function of our government, so be it, but those who do should not delude themselves that they are some sort of patriot by doing so. They are precisely the opposite. That is all I have to say about this topic. I can't come up with words to adequately express my feelings toward anyone who defends the actions of these brutal killers, suggests that he had it coming, or anything of the sort.
poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
10/3/09 12:44 p.m.
Josh wrote: Yeah, this sounds like a suicide. http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2009/sep/26/body-slain-census-worker-naked/ Honestly, carguy, people like you and your buddy in the uniform trying to threaten and scare off innocent people doing a job that is vital to the very operation of a representative democracy are probably the greatest threat to freedom that exists. To suggest that there are any nefarious purposes to the census only shows your ignorance. There is legally nothing that CAN be done with the data except things that HAVE to be done if we are going to have a free democratic society. We can't have representation unless we count the people to determine representation. This has been accounted for in the constitution since the get go. The reason that we use GPS is simply that it's 2009, and most mapping is done by GPS now. The maps are digital, and the data is easier to collect, aggregate, and reference than before, but it isn't fundamentally any different data than any census before. The data needs to be accurate to determine populations within physical boundaries so that people can be represented fairly in our government. It might be the MOST vital, basic function of our government, and is essentially the prerequisite to any of their activity. Nobody has the "right" to interfere with this work, just like nobody has the "right" to stop paying taxes because they don't want to. Tresspass laws do not apply to authorized agents of the government. Nothing done by the census bureau infringes on the rights of any homeowner, and none of the information collected can be used by any other agency. If people insist on interfering with this basic function of our government, so be it, but those who do should not delude themselves that they are some sort of patriot by doing so. They are precisely the opposite. That is all I have to say about this topic. I can't come up with words to adequately express my feelings toward anyone who defends the actions of these brutal killers, suggests that he had it coming, or anything of the sort.

And to insinuate that the only funcion of the 2010 census is to gather information about how many people live in a house and where that house sits is ridiculous.

For your reading pleasure:

http://2010.census.gov/2010census/pdf/2010ACSnotebook.pdf

Josh
Josh HalfDork
10/3/09 1:01 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: And to insinuate that the only funcion of the 2010 census is to gather information about how many people live in a house and where that house sits is ridiculous. For your reading pleasure: http://2010.census.gov/2010census/pdf/2010ACSnotebook.pdf

Locating places of residence is ABSOLUTELY the only thing that the Census bureau is doing at this phase of the job, and the only thing they are doing with the gps devices. That is the only thing this poor man was doing when he was killed by one or more ignorant, vicious, traitorous murderers. In fact, they aren't even counting the people yet, just dwellings.

There are demographic studies/surveys conducted with the census (same as previous iterations), but those are not the key function, and once again the data is not tied to your name and not shared with any other agency. If you'd actually read the document you linked to, you might understand why the government is collecting this data.

Actually, just read the first page of the introduction. Then you will learn that for 2010 the survey component has been decoupled from the census component (because the random sample surveys are done every year now), and that this year the census (the part that everyone is required to participate in) is only being conducted in a short form manner. So in all honesty this census is the least intrusive of your lifetime. The significant difference as far as I can see in terms of public response is not the content or purpose of the work, but the man who happens to be in charge while it is being undertaken.

townsend7
townsend7 New Reader
10/3/09 1:03 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: And to insinuate that the only funcion of the 2010 census is to gather information about how many people live in a house and where that house sits is ridiculous. For your reading pleasure: http://2010.census.gov/2010census/pdf/2010ACSnotebook.pdf

Ok... I read it (all 76 pages). Where's the nefarious parts? Am I not paranoid enough to see the hidden evil here?

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
10/3/09 1:39 p.m.

I think the evil is hidden in THE BIG O wanting to know how we heat our homes!!!

carguy123
carguy123 Dork
10/3/09 2:39 p.m.

I never said I thought the guy was justified in shooting the census worker. Maybe I wasn't clear, I was just repeating what others on the forum had been saying about the census workers. I let them come onto my property.

But as to nefarious purposes the conspiracy guys have a point. Once the data is collected there is no control over how it can be used in the future.

townsend7
townsend7 New Reader
10/3/09 3:04 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: But as to nefarious purposes the conspiracy guys have a point. Once the data is collected there is no control over how it can be used in the future.

The data doesn't seem all that useful to me. But I'm not a conspiracy guy.

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
10/3/09 3:36 p.m.

I bet Hitler took a census also!!!

I think the truth is that they are just trying to find all the grandmas so they can put them on the "kill" list.

alfadriver
alfadriver HalfDork
10/3/09 3:44 p.m.

As far as I'm concerned, if someone is THAT worried about the census and census takers, then perhaps it's time to find another country.

Thanks, Josh, for being so eloquent about the point of a census.

Considering how many complain about government, and then refuse to be counted toward THEIR representation.... Yea, it's common that your area doesn't always agree with your opinions.... But to pretend to stand behind the "constitution", and then refuse the be part of a census....

Eric

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/3/09 4:05 p.m.

Paranoia.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
10/3/09 4:09 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote:
carguy123 wrote: So you think the census worker has the right to go up to everyone's door and mark it for nefarious purposes?
Mark their door for nefarious purposes?

My dogs sometimes do that. It usually involves the lifting of a leg. I have no idea why a census worker would.

MitchellC
MitchellC HalfDork
10/3/09 4:27 p.m.
aircooled wrote: I bet Hitler took a census also!!!

I bet Hitler brushed his teeth.
Reports say that Obama brushes his teeth.

Obama is Hitler?

The internet really needs an image of Obama with red flashing eyes whenever another ridiculous conspiracy about him comes up.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
10/3/09 4:54 p.m.

i smell a tea bagger.

GlennS
GlennS HalfDork
10/3/09 5:07 p.m.

look at me, i can be a fruitloop as well ---> and just think of what they must be doing with social security numbers! they have us numbered and now they want our location.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
12/4/09 7:36 p.m.

Digging this back up....

The Kentucky State Police ruled this a suicide..

http://www.kentuckystatepolice.org/2009/pr11_24_09.htm said: Kentucky State Police Announces Results of William E. Sparkman, Jr. Death Investigation in Clay County Date of News Release: 11/24/2009 (Frankfort, Ky.) -- The Kentucky State Police Post 11 in London, with the assistance of the FBI, the U.S. Forest Service, the State Medical Examiner's Office and the Clay County Coroner's Office, has concluded the investigation into the death of William E. Sparkman, Jr. The investigation, based upon evidence and witness testimony, has concluded that Mr. Sparkman died during an intentional, self-inflicted act that was staged to appear as a homicide. While all the details of the investigation will not be released at this time, the unusual level of attention and speculation attributed to Mr. Sparkman's death necessitates this release of information. The investigation indicates that Mr. Sparkman died of asphyxiation/strangulation at the same location where he was discovered in Clay County, Ky. Despite the fact that Mr. Sparkman was found hands, feet and mouth bound with duct tape, rope around his neck and the word "FED" written on his chest, analysis of the evidence determined Mr. Sparkman's death was self-inflicted. A thorough examination of evidence from the scene, to include DNA testing, as well as examination of his vehicle and his residence resulted in the determination that Mr. Sparkman, alone, handled the key pieces of evidence with no indications of any other persons involved. Witness statements, which are deemed credible, indicate Mr. Sparkman discussed ending his own life and these discussions matched details discovered during the course of the investigation. It was learned that Mr. Sparkman had discussed recent federal investigations and the perceived negative attitudes toward federal entities by some residents of Clay County. It was also discovered during the investigation that Mr. Sparkman had recently secured two life insurance policies for which payment for suicide was precluded. All tips and leads, including those from the public, were thoroughly investigated but were found to be inconsistent with any known facts or evidence. It is the conclusion of the Kentucky State Police, the FBI, the U.S. Forest Service, the State Medical Examiner's Office, and the Clay County Coroner's Office that Mr. Sparkman died in an intentional, self-inflicted act that was staged to appear as a homicide.

This is weird.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
12/4/09 8:02 p.m.

So, iggy, when you said "i smell a tea bagger" two months ago, what exactly were you implying? Now that this turns out to be just another liberal trying to cause trouble, does that affect your outlook? Or is it like the global warming hoax? You just don't want to look at anything that challenges your tenuous concept of reality? “Scientist” cooking their numbers until they hide the truth, perverting the “peer review” process, etc., just not important if it doesn't fit with those telling you what to think?

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AAEoADa7X1iu9FVla1Cb8BahxLjwVylzf0yofKpNO5TD5Yeum1LLaanGO6RMBfij