1 2
tr8todd
tr8todd HalfDork
10/15/13 6:08 p.m.

I have a wall mounted propane heater I grabbed during a hotel remodel. Works pretty good, but I never use it. I use one of those propane portable heaters that look like a barrel stove. Carry it around to where I'm working and set my coffee on top. Works great, and runs all weekend on one grill sized 20lb tank. My garage has two floors, so whether I'm downstairs working on cars or upstairs in the wood and metal shop, I just cart that thing around.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse HalfDork
10/18/13 8:00 a.m.
oldopelguy wrote: Nearly any used home furnace of c-list will heat a shop that size in no time at all.

My other shop has an old oil burning furnace from a house, mounted on a shelf off the floor. No ductwork, just a big piece of bent sheetmetal on top of it to deflect the heat into the garage. Loud and thirsty, but man it would heat that shop- 24 x 40 cinder block with high bays.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition HalfDork
10/18/13 9:03 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: I would like to do electric because its the easiest. I probably should finish the insulation. My problem is, that I probably don't have 220 running out there. I think they built the garage without electricity in mind, then ran Romex from the breaker box in the house, out underground, to a small breaker box to the garage which powers three outdoor lights, two indoor lights, and 5 electrical outlets.

Forget about electric, then. Nothing that runs on 110 will put out enough heat to make it worthwhile.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
10/18/13 12:33 p.m.

I have a salvaged water heater tank converted to burn used engine oil, it takes about a gallon an hour to heat my main area which is about 30 x 60, it also heats to entension which is another 24 x 36 at least. The unit has one moving part, a small brass inline fawcet. I used an old heating oil tank and raised it above the height of the heater unit, so gravity feeds the oil.

Clean up is to knock the carbon out of the oil burning bowl once every few days.

It gets the area very warm if not hot.

garageheatgeek
garageheatgeek None
10/10/17 2:26 a.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Reader
10/10/17 5:43 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

Woodstove

Check with your insurance co. on this one. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
10/10/17 6:15 a.m.

For years I used a Pelonis ceramic disc heater in my attached two car garage.  I would turn it on 20-30 minutes before I would go out to work and it would knock the chill off nicely.  

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
10/10/17 6:56 a.m.

I really want to insulate, and add heat to my 30x24 detattched garage, but I really hate theose torpedo heaters because of the fumes, and mostly the noise. Working construction years ago really turned me off to those things. Sure it was nice being close for the heat, but the fumes take years off of your life, and the noise was unbearable at times for me. I have 50 Amp 220 Volt service in my garage, but I just don't know if an electric heater will work to heat up the place. I really need to insulate it, but to do that I almost have to clean everything out of the place. That's a lot of work!

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
10/10/17 9:02 a.m.

Spammer and zombie thread from 2013.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
10/10/17 9:29 a.m.

Garageheatgeek is still showing up.  

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
10/10/17 4:11 p.m.

I have one of these radiant tube heaters in my shop and cant say enough good things about it. The big bonus is that I can leave the shop just above freezing in order to conserve energy, and in 15 minutes the place is toasty warm. Mine runs on natural gas and is quite cheap to run. Being up in the air it does not consume shop space.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
10/10/17 4:24 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

So schwanky!

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
10/10/17 4:35 p.m.

SchwankForceOne!laugh

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners