1 2 3
CanexicanStig
CanexicanStig Dork
5/20/08 12:03 p.m.

Mrs. Poop and I are celebrating a pretty big anniversary in a couple of weeks. While cooking tools may seem to be the proverbial "vacuum cleaner" of anniversary gifts, it's kind of her "thing."

So look at it this way, she's been using the equivalent of crappy chinese HF hand-tools with 12 point sockets for the last 10 years, and I'd like to upgrade her to an industrial sized compressor with laser etched impact grade sockets, wratcheting wrenches, etc. I.e. she needs some kick-ass knives, some really good quality regular and non-stick pans (she almost cried...in a good way...when I bought her a non-stick pan at the grocery store,) etc.

I'm looking for suggestions on QUALITY cooking 'tools.' A little help?

Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
5/20/08 12:29 p.m.

Cutco is excellent. They are like the Snap-On of cooking equipment. Ultra durable, low maintenance, and machine washable, with a FOREVER warranty covering any damage you could possibly do to them. They are actually designed to go years between sharpenings, and still cut better than other brands. They also have pots/pans now. They are the sister manufacturer to the USMC Kabar knife.

Wusthof and Zwilling J.A. Henckels (4 or 5 star) are also great knives. However, Henckels allows their name to be used on lesser cutlery. Henckels International are not the same knives. Avoid them. Be sure the blade and handle have the twin Gemini dudes on them.

mtn
mtn HalfDork
5/20/08 12:35 p.m.

Cutco. When my grandmother died, the only thing that my mom and her siblings were not civil about when divvying up her possessions were the cutcos.

CanexicanStig
CanexicanStig Dork
5/20/08 12:38 p.m.

SUITE! Thanks for the quick responses, d00ds.

Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
5/20/08 12:43 p.m.

Like many a college kid, I sold Cutco for a few months. I wouldn't take that job again, but it was worth it because I still have all of my knives and I love them. They slice just as well as they did when I first got them 3 years ago.

My last girlfriend's dad had been a chef for a while. He had very nice Henckels 4-star and cared for them meticulously. They still did not cut as well as the Cutco.

While selling Cutco, I sharpened knives people had been using since the 60's, hadn't been sharpened for decades, and got machine-washed. Couldn't tell they were as old as they were. They still cut better than most good knives.

CanexicanStig
CanexicanStig Dork
5/20/08 12:44 p.m.

Now for the next stupid question:

Aside from eGhey, WhereTF do I buy them online? I don't want some shmoe coming to my house in his knife-totin molester van.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/20/08 12:50 p.m.

As for the cookware side of things, I could not be happier with my Scanpan pots and pans, with one tiny exception. I still love my Calphalon shiny fry pan for making gravies, sauces and fryin' up dem eggs. :nice: The Scanpan has a surface texture that is not the best choice for delicate sunny side up eggs.

Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
5/20/08 12:51 p.m.

You can't buy (new) online. However, any Cutco that you buy anywhere is covered by the same forever warranty.

Go to www.cutco.com to shop the different sets.

You can order by phone, through a catalog, go to a county fair, or schedule to have a representative come over. The vast majority of reps are poor starving college students.

If you get a rep sent out, you can negotiate them into giving you a bunch of your order for free. Items are assigned point values for being sold or comp'd. The comp value is subtracted from the sell value to determine the reps commission. They are trained to be willing to give out a certain ratio of comp/sell.

Order the Homemaker Set +8, w/ block. See how much of the following you can get them to throw in: Kitchen Shears (the universal kitchen tool; I have used them as pries, bottle openers, and can openers; they are the only thing I've found good at cutting that annoying plastic packaging on everything; I have used them to cleanly snip through kevlar);
Hardy Slicer;
Ice Cream Scoop (works so well, it's scary);
Cheese Slicer (an old roommate lost mine, and I still miss it);
Cleaver

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
5/20/08 1:10 p.m.

We bought a rather expensive pot and pan set a long time ago. I don't remember the brand, but they were French and cast iron with a very tough Teflon coating that you could use metal utensils with, enamel outer and a 5 year warranty. We still hvae them. The coating started to flake a little after 5 years, but I would still say they are the best cookware I've seen/used. Very even heat on gas or electric.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette New Reader
5/20/08 1:19 p.m.

Find local Sysco dealer they got great set of Knives in cloth case $125 or so . Check big box stores for zest / garlic press/new 4 way slicer ect . Hit fabric section in wally mart get a couple of aprons /fabric paint / foam brush >> goto local sign shop and get "reverse Weed " cut vinyl and make her a custom apron .

Jay_W
Jay_W None
5/20/08 1:31 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: We bought a rather expensive pot and pan set a long time ago. I don't remember the brand, but they were French and cast iron with a very tough Teflon coating that you could use metal utensils with, enamel outer and a 5 year warranty. We still hvae them. The coating started to flake a little after 5 years, but I would still say they are the best cookware I've seen/used. Very even heat on gas or electric.

Le Creuset. They are heavy, and expensive, but they are the Snap-on of saucepans. You'll find it hard to burn stuff in these, she'll like them a lot.

Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 Dork
5/20/08 1:40 p.m.

I'll second the Calphalon for non-stick stuff... thick sturdy flat bottomed stuff, real important if you have a flat rangetop.

I still need to find some nice copper saucepans... and I still can't beat Mom's old cast iron skillet for those special occasions :nice:

I was going to go Henckels on the knives also, but I'm starting to think maybe I need to try some of this Cutco stuff...

Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
5/20/08 1:43 p.m.

IMHO: Cutco > Wusthof > Henckels > pretty much everything else

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
5/20/08 1:55 p.m.

Yeah, Le Creuset sounds about right. Definetly the Snap-On of cookware.

It is also hard to beat a genuine cast wrought iron square skillet and large pot. We have one of each. The best hashbrowns come off the bare (seasoned) cast iron skillet. The large pot was my wife's grandmother's and most likely saw time on a covered wagon. I think there is still campfire smoke on the outside.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
5/20/08 2:16 p.m.

I have Calphalon non-stick pots/pans and an Emerilware non-stick large skillet. Awesome stuff.

I'll stick up for the Henkels knives, but those are the only high-end knives I've owned/used. Never used a Cutco.

I HATE using crappy knives and I'm just a home cook w/ chef envy. :grin:

Jay_W
Jay_W HalfDork
5/20/08 2:36 p.m.

Life is too short for bad tools of any sort! I finally learned my lesson, I'm too poor to afford crap tools. They cost, then they cost some more...

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
5/20/08 2:43 p.m.

I found some Cutco when I was in college (the day after move-out day, it's amazing what you can find). Gave them to the chef that I was working with. My wife got a set from her mother, who found them at a yardsale for $5! We have lost the bread knife, but I really don't want to spend $85 to replace it.

16vCorey
16vCorey Reader
5/20/08 3:34 p.m.

A friend of Colleen's gave her a set of pots and pans that are bad ass. The lady that gave them to her is a pro chef, and she got a new set and didn't have room for the old ones. I'll get the name when I get home.

16vCorey
16vCorey Reader
5/20/08 3:38 p.m.

Oh, and thanks to everyone that reminded me about Cutco knives. I found one in a junk yard with a broken tip. I knew they were guaranteed so I took it home, and proceeded to forget about it until know. Thanks for reminding me to send it in!

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/20/08 3:41 p.m.

Calphalon user here as well, love them

Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
5/20/08 3:44 p.m.

Yup. They will replace it free.

The only caveat is for items that have been "blatantly misused and abused". These generally occur when you take your wife's Cutco into the garage and snap the blade off attempting to pry something off of your car. Those cost a 50% replacement fee. Broken off tips from being dropped in a garbage disposal, or handles that are wonky from being left in the bottom of an oven are replaced for free.

CanexicanStig
CanexicanStig Dork
5/20/08 3:45 p.m.
16vCorey wrote: A friend of Colleen's gave her a set of pots and pans that are bad ass. The lady that gave them to her is a pro chef, and she got a new set and didn't have room for the old ones. I'll get the name when I get home.

Tell 'er I'll give her 20 bucks, a half a bottle of crown, and a pack of smokes for the pans. Throw in that busted knife and I'll even pay for shipping.

16vCorey
16vCorey Reader
5/20/08 4:03 p.m.
CanexicanStig wrote:
16vCorey wrote: A friend of Colleen's gave her a set of pots and pans that are bad ass. The lady that gave them to her is a pro chef, and she got a new set and didn't have room for the old ones. I'll get the name when I get home.
Tell 'er I'll give her 20 bucks, a half a bottle of crown, and a pack of smokes for the pans. Throw in that busted knife and I'll even pay for shipping.

No way. She'd take that deal for sure, but I'm kinda fond of those pans.

About Cutco knives: I once used one to scrape the adhesive off of approx. 40 4"x4" tiles that fell off of the shower wall after some moisture got behind them. It did a great job! It was dull as a turd when I was done, but I sent it in and got another and all was good with the world once again.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/20/08 7:52 p.m.
Salanis wrote: Order the Homemaker Set +8, w/ block.

Salanis, at the risk of fainting, how much would this set run me? My wife is a chef (not working in the industry currently) and would love some new knives.

Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
5/20/08 10:06 p.m.

Okay, sit down for a minute. The whole thing, with block will go for a bit over $800. But that's for the last set of knives you'll ever need.

Or, buy the main knife set and a pair of sheers (seriously, those sheers rock) and get the rep to throw in the block and steak knives for free. That should run you a bit over $600.

Edit: Another popular option, is to get a smaller/cheaper set (the Galley or Essentials) and a big block with extra space. Then add pieces later on. That way you have future gifts lines up to. Your four essential knives are: paring knife, trimmer (small slicing), petite carver (big slicing), and a chef's knife (chopping). Although, every mother who makes sandwiches for kids adores the spatula-spreader.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NMZRfV8owkwaigcMFP6DtbHGU8tA1mkkupFkDUDBCY0wR2L4GLHBZxLDj9QKGWoA