DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
8/9/24 8:05 a.m.

I hear he did something else, other than being the subject of a hilarious scene on WKRP on Cincinnati, but I don't know lol. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/9/24 8:10 a.m.

Makes me smile every time I see that. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/9/24 10:00 a.m.

Also immortalized on Devo’s first album cover:

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/9/24 10:28 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I blows my mind that all these years later,  I find out that the guy on the cover is Chi Chi Rodriguez. I literally had no idea.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/9/24 10:35 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Purple Frog
Purple Frog GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/9/24 11:31 a.m.

Was at a corporate event in the 80's and the bosses hired Chi Chi to do an informal presentation.  I remember him standing among us talking away the whole time bouncing a golf ball on a wedge for minutes at a time. He had quite an arsenal of trick shots.  Yes, I was impressed.    He was a lot like Sam Snead, in the early days they made most their money on side bets, not the actual tournament purses.  

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/9/24 12:25 p.m.

In reply to Purple Frog :

I saw him drive 150 yards sitting in a lawn chair.

Didn't even know he was still alive. Well lived, sir.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/9/24 1:31 p.m.

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/HbT8NnJahtb9kemu/?mibextid=Le6z7H

I feel like he would have loved Les Nesmans bit.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
8/9/24 3:12 p.m.

Chi Chi's brother  Jesus Rodrigues was the pro at the El Dorado golf course my parents belonged to when I lived in Puerto Rico.  Jesus' job was to teach me and two of my brothers how to hit a golf ball and to be honest he would have to live up to his namesake if he was to suceed.

Chi Chi was often on site to see one or the other of his siblings that were on the island and he would put in an appearance at the lessons and class "tournaments". I owe both Chi Chi and his brother an apology for my preference to be on the beach rather than the Golf course. I was 14 years old at the time and the the girls on the beach sported less fabric than the flags on each green. Puerto Rican girls develop early and curvy. No contest.

Chi Chi was a Puerto Rican superstar and a hero for his devotion to get regular young people out on the golf course.  "He grew from humble roots and so could you.." was his message.He continued this altruism in Fl where he was instrumental in opening a course in Clearwater that was that was actually affordable for young people to play. 

If there is a point to this game we call life, I hope he is cashing in.

sevenracer
sevenracer HalfDork
8/9/24 7:28 p.m.

I actually read the thread title with Les Nessman's pronunciation before I even saw WKRP laugh

NOHOME: Cool story, always nice to hear about a celeb who does good for others.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
8/10/24 8:39 a.m.

Being from Cincinnati, I clicked for the WKRP reference.  wink

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3HgPOORN81zVrWiagCwbAaYUy2swatBpLHiZcy4lMzgfkSdEDlKOnsQiXMQCLp6t