1 2
gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
9/28/17 9:55 a.m.

Since posting my 65 mustang on CL I have hit up with quite a few trade offers. I was planning on using the money for home improvements, but i neglected to put no trades in the ad, so im not complaining. If somebody wanted to offer up a rallyx candidate worth around $1500 and the rest in cash i would consider it, otherwise i just want to sell outright. But so far it has been

2007 Mustang gt; this one had me do some hard thinking, but i said no

Acura integra with low miles

Mid 70s harley. I dont motorcycle, but from what ive heard mid 70s harleys are rolling garbage

And my favorite, a 74 lincoln continental. Not that i want one even a little, but it made me laugh. I told my wife and she said something about sex trafficking.

What funny trades have you been offered?

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
9/28/17 10:11 a.m.

I've been offered lots of different guns. I ended up accepting a Mossberg shotgun in part trade for a pickup. It took me a while to get around to shooting that but did some sport clays with it and had so much fun. So that trade was great!

Other than that, lots of 4 wheelers, motorcycles, etc. It's amazing how many of those are sitting around unused.

Oh yeah, I had a GS430 I was selling and someone offered me an older beat up GS300 in trade. Why on earth would I want that car instead of this one?!

HonestSpeedShop
HonestSpeedShop Reader
9/28/17 10:21 a.m.

I have been offered crappy cars, nice car, money, guns, quads, razrs, motorcycles, and the best "services". 

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
9/28/17 10:24 a.m.

I meant for this to be in Off Topic, not sure how I screwed that up. Oh well, this works.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
9/28/17 3:39 p.m.

Always guns and motorcycles, never close to value either...

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/28/17 7:33 p.m.
chandler said:

Better than guns and roses though, I suppose.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
9/28/17 7:45 p.m.

You wife's offer of sex trafficking sounds like the best deal so far. laugh

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/28/17 7:48 p.m.

I was offered a riding lawn mower, .22 rifle and bass boat (all separate offers) for my Volvo. 

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
9/28/17 7:49 p.m.

When I was Elise shopping, I came across one in Glendale, CA, of all places, listed as "trade only."  I offered to trade for "cash money" and he said he wanted to trade for something else.

Also, good job on avoiding the 70's Harley.  While a 1974 74" is "OK" as far as steaming piles of E36 M3 go, anything after that goes downhill fast, until the Evo came out in '84.  New game after that.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/28/17 7:58 p.m.

I got offered a Milwaukee cordless 1/2" impact, 1/4" hex impact, drill, 4 batteries and charger for my motorcycle. Probably going to accept that one just because the tools take up way less space than a bike in pieces.  That is, unless you want to trade a 65 mustang for my project bike 

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
9/28/17 8:59 p.m.

When I was selling the MR2 I got offered 2-3 motorcycles.  All essentially the same low-end street crotch rocket I believe.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
9/28/17 9:14 p.m.

I was offered a tanning bed in trade for the 1965 Pontiac Grand Prix I was selling.  Uh, no.

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired HalfDork
9/28/17 9:50 p.m.

I once had a trade offer of 3 x 16” replica mustang cobra r wheels for my set of (mint) 4 17” oem cobra r wheels. 

That one had me scratching my head

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
9/28/17 10:48 p.m.

2 separate people offered a horse trailer for my D350. I was also offered a 1999 sierra long bed v6 when my ad I was interested in a V8 99-07 gm half ton 2wd. 

On my end, I offered to trade my running D350 for a 400 big block swapped D100 that needed wiring and a driveshaft.

Jumper K. Balls
Jumper K. Balls PowerDork
9/28/17 11:13 p.m.

For every 10 CL ads I put up I get at least one trade offer for weed.

I had a nice quick change lathe tool post up for 2 months for a pittance, 150 on a 800 item . I traded it for a brute of a 3 and a half hp porter cable router that still had a 400$ price tag on it.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
9/29/17 6:05 a.m.
Pete Gossett said:
chandler said:

Better than guns and roses though, I suppose.

Maybe, I'm missing one CD.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
9/29/17 6:41 a.m.

I was once offered a handgun as a partial trade, which emerged from the guy's pocket with the safety off and was handed to me barrel first surprise

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/29/17 8:32 a.m.

In reply to chandler :

The Spaghetti Incident, right?

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/29/17 8:58 a.m.

I was on the other side of "crazy trade offers" when I acquired the SC300 donor car for the Rice Rod build. A 5-speed manual SC300 listed for "$3000 OBO or trade for Miata, MR2, (insert list of ricey cars) Neon srt4, or...station wagon". Station wagon, eh? I had just gotten back from the $2016 Challenge in my $1,100 Roadmaster Estate. We met up the next day and he fell in love with the Road-monster, so we signed titles straight-up, no cash.

I think I came out on top of that deal, but damn I sure miss that low, rumbly, 2 tons of fun.

After posting a part-out ad for that SC300 after I scavenged the drivetrain, I got multiple trade offers for non-running motorcycles. Why would I take one smaller pile of non-running parts for my bigger pile of non-running parts?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
9/29/17 9:05 a.m.

There are only three motorcycles anyone offers as a craigslist trade:

1. 90s Suzuki Katana that "just needs carbs cleaned"
  2. Untitled, unbelievably ratty dirt/"stunt" bike, most likely stolen
  3. Horrifyingly "customized" metric cruiser, which they consider to be worth more than whatever you have and therefore expect cash on top
curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/30/17 3:04 p.m.

I have found some real bargains trading on CL.  I probably hit it once a week looking for theater stuff.  Its almost always a win-win because what you have isn't useful to you and vice versa.  You're both ditching things you don't want in exchange for things you do want.

I traded some Ford truck Alcoa wheels for a gun once.  Traded a wasted El Camino for a good running Yamaha R6 crotch rocket with 14,000 miles.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
9/30/17 5:32 p.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to chandler :

The Spaghetti Incident, right?

I don't know what I'm missing.... 

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/30/17 5:42 p.m.

The Samurai was acquired in a trade for a enclosed trailer I no longer needed. 

It's on Craigslist for trade now. I need a 30-40 hp tractor with a bush hog or another UTV. 

I kind of enjoy seeing what's available. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/30/17 8:17 p.m.
Jumper K. Balls said:

For every 10 CL ads I put up I get at least one trade offer for weed.

I had a nice quick change lathe tool post up for 2 months for a pittance, 150 on a 800 item . I traded it for a brute of a 3 and a half hp porter cable router that still had a 400$ price tag on it.

I mean, i wouldn't turn down a big enough bag for my bike either.  Could probably sell that easier 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
9/30/17 8:28 p.m.

I actually became "that guy" today. Offered a pistol, ammo, and cash for a 2 door neon. No response from the seller yet...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MH7ETsMKHpsgTO3hqe35tdpjZTTFkRS2Tj2bQwdY41SeGuOv2Iu50k8ONsqCBR6c