1 2 3 4
DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
4/14/10 1:57 p.m.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/14/10 1:59 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: I think that when someone from some little resort island country in the Caribbean starts up a strictly USA related political thread, I'm calling that a TROLL. Maybe we should just go down and Fix Up Beyond All Recognition his little island paradise.

I'll admit, I posted it because Tea Partiers pollute international forums with their ramblings, and I love to deprive them of their Words of Mass Distraction

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
4/14/10 2:01 p.m.
But if you really think that everything either party is does is wrong (or right for that matter) then you are part of the problem

I could've been more clear. I didn't mean to insinuate that every vote that every democrat has ever cast was the wrong one.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
4/14/10 2:03 p.m.

Ironically I've seen many, many people calling themselves Dems, Repubs or Libertarians on this list who actually are espousing Tea Party idealogies. They just don't realize the are Tea Partisans.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
4/14/10 2:06 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
Dr. Hess wrote: I think that when someone from some little resort island country in the Caribbean starts up a strictly USA related political thread, I'm calling that a TROLL. Maybe we should just go down and Fix Up Beyond All Recognition his little island paradise.
I'll admit, I posted it because Tea Partiers pollute international forums with their ramblings, and I love to deprive them of their Words of Mass Distraction

Welp, you don't find much of that here, do you? I could post a topic every single stinking day about something I heard on the news that infuriated me, but I don't. I know I've personally, purposely dialed my political rants WAY back, and it seems like a lot of other folks here have as well. There were a lot of heated arguments here leading up to/immediately after the election, and I think everyone was kind of sick of it...I know the folks at GRM were.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/14/10 2:11 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote:
Welp, you don't find much of that here, do you? I could post a topic every single stinking day about something I heard on the news that infuriated me, but I don't. I know I've personally, purposely dialed my political rants WAY back, and it seems like a lot of other folks here have as well. There were a lot of heated arguments here leading up to/immediately after the election, and I think everyone was kind of sick of it...I know the folks at GRM were.

Yeah the political stuff is kept down to a reasonable level here, but I thought tea partiers and bashers alike would be interested and the article was non-inflammatory enough.

oldsaw
oldsaw Dork
4/14/10 2:26 p.m.
joey48442 wrote: So your not coming over later? Well then. Joey

This is the only gender of Joey I'll be entertaining - you're SOL.

/hijack

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/14/10 2:33 p.m.
oldsaw
oldsaw Dork
4/14/10 2:34 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
poopshovel wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote:
Yeah the political stuff is kept down to a reasonable level here, but I thought tea partiers and bashers alike would be interested and the article was non-inflammatory enough.

Maybe the really interesting result of the poll is that 45% of people are not familiar enough with the movement to have an opinion.

About 45% of people in the US pay absolutely no income tax, also.

Coincidence?

keethrax
keethrax Reader
4/14/10 2:43 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: Ironically I've seen many, many people calling themselves Dems, Repubs or Libertarians on this list who actually are espousing Tea Party idealogies. They just don't realize the are Tea Partisans.

Same probelm there as with the big parties. A bunch of mostly reasonable people in the middle, being "represented" by wackos. Both at the big figurehead level (Palin, seriously?) and 90% of the malcontent idiots at protest with signs who aren't smart enough/informed enough to have a clue what any of it really boils down to.

If you go out of your way to attract the idiots, you don't get to be offended when it is assumed you're one too.

Hell, by that measure they might as well be a real party.

keethrax
keethrax Reader
4/14/10 2:48 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
But if you really think that everything either party is does is wrong (or right for that matter) then you are part of the problem
I could've been more clear. I didn't mean to insinuate that every vote that every democrat has ever cast was the wrong one.

I don't thnk you did insinuate that. But you did (at least by my possibly flawed reading) insinuate that every policy supported by the Dems as a whole is automatically wrong.

Anytime I see an entire party vote on way (either party, whether all for or against), I know that there has to be some poor bastard toeing the line instead of doing what's right. There are exceptions, but they're few and far between. And I'm not even blaming the poor bastard, the de-facto two party system enforces such behavior.

This is of course true even when the vote isn't a solid block by party, it;s just those ones that so painfully illustrate how much both sides would rather "win" than run the country responsibly.

EDIT: Or more specifically represent their constituency responsibly.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
4/14/10 3:10 p.m.

And then let's throw the media into the mix. Most people believe what they read, unfortunately.

During this last election the media was firmly in the Dems camp and blasted us night and day with information to make us into Dems. Here's an aftermath prime example. Here is a map that shows the areas of the country who have had value problems. The problem areas are marked in red. Notice how little of the country actually had a problem.

I won't say there have been no value issues in other parts of the country, but most of the subsequent value issues have come from the equivalent of Second Hand Smoke. It has been people getting scared or worried about the economy and reacting abnormally which has created issues where none existed before. Perception is reality.

http://www.housingwire.com/2010/04/09/peak-house-prices-will-return-to-sand-states-after-2025-fiserv/

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
4/14/10 4:57 p.m.
oldsaw wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote:
poopshovel wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote:
Maybe the really interesting result of the poll is that 45% of people are not familiar enough with the movement to have an opinion. About 45% of people in the US pay absolutely no income tax, also. Coincidence?

mostly due to tax cuts that people were asking for and that they got..

96DXCivic
96DXCivic Dork
4/14/10 5:01 p.m.

Someone needs to bitch slap washington like a cheap hooker at a gang bang.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
4/14/10 6:14 p.m.
96DXCivic wrote: Someone needs to bitch slap washington like a cheap hooker at a gang bang.

I posted just so I could put that in a quote box.

oldsaw
oldsaw Dork
4/14/10 8:29 p.m.
ignorant wrote: mostly due to tax cuts that people were asking for and that they got..

tuna55
tuna55 HalfDork
4/14/10 8:50 p.m.
ignorant wrote: some crap

Aww man, can't you NOT post about the tea party, just once?

bamalama
bamalama Reader
4/14/10 9:54 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: I know I've personally, purposely dialed my political rants WAY back, and it seems like a lot of other folks here have as well.

I always liked your rants.

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Memberand SonDork
4/14/10 10:10 p.m.

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
4/14/10 10:34 p.m.
oldsaw wrote:
joey48442 wrote: So your not coming over later? Well then. Joey
This is the only gender of Joey I'll be entertaining - you're SOL. /hijack

Who is that?

Joey

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
4/14/10 10:40 p.m.

Joey Heatherton and she looks terrible now. That pic was from the early 70's if I'm not mistaken.

She didn't age well.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
4/15/10 5:55 a.m.
tuna55 wrote:
ignorant wrote: some crap
Aww man, can't you NOT post about the tea party, just once?

Actually I'm not that far off base.. you guys are just fun to rile up... It's so damn easy.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=125997180

Roberton Williams is a senior fellow at the Tax Policy Center, used to work on tax analysis at the Congressional Budget Office. And Mr. Williams' finding has gone viral. Let me ask you, now, how many Americans don't pay any federal income tax? And generally speaking, who are those people? Mr. ROBERTON WILLIAMS (Senior Fellow, Tax Policy Center): By our estimate, about 47 percent of Americans will not pay any federal income tax for 2009. The people involved in that tend to be families with children, the elderly, low income households, those who either have too little income to pay taxes or who benefit enough from all the deductions, credits and exemptions in the income tax, so they're zeroed out on the bottom line of their 1040. SIEGEL: And that number, 47 percent, is up from just a couple of years ago. What's the trend? By how much is it up and why? Mr. WILLIAMS: Well, in 2007, just 38 percent of Americans didn't pay tax. It jumped to 49 percent for 2008, and 47 percent this year, primarily because of the stimulus bills that we've put in place trying to get the economy going again. In 2008, President Bush's stimulus payments sent $600 to individuals, $1,200 to couples, plus a little bit more if you had kids, and that all showed up as a tax reduction when you filed your income taxes. This year we have the 2009 stimulus, which includes making work pay. Almost every American who works got benefit from that and a few other things that bring down tax bills.

the % paying no tax actually went down this year, but the jumps are pretty silly...

tuna55
tuna55 HalfDork
4/15/10 6:46 a.m.
ignorant wrote: Actually I'm not that far off base.. you guys are just fun to rile up... It's so damn easy.
ignorant wrote: and then some NPR drivel

So you're basically saying that you aspire to be a troll?

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
4/15/10 8:33 a.m.

NPR is drivel?

Joey

bludroptop
bludroptop SuperDork
4/15/10 8:49 a.m.

My mom gets a little less than $600 a month in Social Security benefits. She lives on that, supplemented by the generosity of her children.

Mom didn't pay any income tax this year.

Neither did Exxon.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5ydOSKUKflprkJnAowMCbu8FrblWOTjf8ZjF7AB7lNJg7Z06ImJbh3v4YpxylsLw