BBsGarage Reader
8/28/08 1:33 p.m.

Putin accuses U.S. of orchestrating Georgian war

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/08/28/russia.georgia.cold.war/index.html

Simply amazing.

jrw1621
jrw1621 Reader
8/28/08 1:53 p.m.

There are many people who believe that Bush/Channey will pull out a wild card later in the current election. That wild card will be to call a "National Emergency" and halt the Presidential Election.

Interesting....

WilD
WilD Reader
8/28/08 2:03 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote: There are many people who believe that Bush/Channey will pull out a wild card later in the current election. That wild card will be to call a "National Emergency" and halt the Presidential Election. Interesting....

Wow, if that happens.... Truly a WTSHTF moment.

Is the Iraq war practice for a counter insurgency operation at home? Conspiracy theorists will love to go wild with this line of thought.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
8/28/08 2:05 p.m.

He can act like a fool until the point where foreign companies start pulling out.. cause he is a fool... Just wait.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant New Reader
8/28/08 2:38 p.m.

So, Putin is basically saying, "They made us do it!". Just like we "made" Iraq take Kuwait with Albright's vagueness on the subject of Iraq's claims on its neighbor. Yeah, right.

jrw1621 wrote: There are many people who believe that Bush/Channey will pull out a wild card later in the current election

There are many people ... who are idiots.

This kind of crap has been put out against any number of presidents - that they planned a coup to stay in power, declare themselves kings, etc.

Neither the War of the Rebellion nor the Second World War stopped the elections.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
8/28/08 2:57 p.m.

Yeah. Short of D.C. going up in a giant Urban Renewal Mushroom Cloud, I don't see the election stopping. And even at that, I bet we would still go forward with the election.

It is convienent to say "Bush did it" as an excuse. Now even the Russians are doing it. One can be sure, however, that there was a little phone call between the two capitals with a heads-up, we're gonna go knock over Georgia. OK, we'll pretend to be really upset about it.

Salanis
Salanis Dork
8/28/08 3:16 p.m.

If Hess sees no conspiracy, there must really not be one.

aircooled
aircooled Dork
8/28/08 3:19 p.m.
Salanis wrote: If Hess sees no conspiracy, there must really not be one.

He doesn't believe in the conspiracy... because he is part of it!!!!!

[dramatic music]

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
8/28/08 3:30 p.m.

Oh, ya'll want conspiracy? Here. Read this:

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=73649

Careful, though, it might be a conspiracy to make Salanis roll over into a ball, frothing at the mouth.

Salanis
Salanis Dork
8/28/08 3:40 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: Oh, ya'll want conspiracy? Here. Read this: http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=73649 Careful, though, it might be a conspiracy to make Salanis roll over into a ball, frothing at the mouth.

Hmm... a bit of spittle, but not quite a froth. And I think that spittle has less to do with my political leanings, and more to do with my literary interests.

Nope, it was overwhelmed by my general sense of apathy and total distrust of any "news" source that is so blatantly political. Besides, how can I take this one seriously if it's not from Turkmenistan?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
8/28/08 3:51 p.m.

Besides the fact that he's accurate, what's the problem? I suppose it's always best to get your news from CBS. We know they would never make something up.

Hey, have any of youse guys seen "War, Inc."? It takes place in Turaqistan. It's pretty funny.

Salanis
Salanis Dork
8/28/08 4:01 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: Besides the fact that he's accurate, what's the problem?

Sources. Or lack thereof.

That and his main evidence is that the book was "too good", and the assertion that the first book someone publishes can't possibly be well written.

Kinda want to say to the guy: "Psst, there are these people called 'editors'. They edit writing and do a lot to polish stuff up for the final draft. You use them in journalism too."

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
8/28/08 4:09 p.m.

Did you read the prior article he referenced? He has been employed as a ghost writer for others just like this.

Salanis
Salanis Dork
8/28/08 4:15 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: Did you read the prior article he referenced? He has been employed as a ghost writer for others just like this.

Had not. Just skimmed it.

Even if what he says is true and Obama had help from a ghostwriter... I don't really care.

I fail to see the conspiracy connection. If I wanted to do something to set some young man up to become a future political leader, writing a memoir is not going to do much to move them in that direction. Very few people who write memoirs become statesmen. Those that do, owe their success to far more tangible efforts.

Ultimately, I just don't care about Obama's memoir.

oldsaw
oldsaw New Reader
8/28/08 5:41 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: Besides the fact that he's accurate, what's the problem? I suppose it's always best to get your news from CBS. We _know_ they would never make something up. Hey, have any of youse guys seen "War, Inc."? It takes place in Turaqistan. It's pretty funny.

Hey, Doc, Salanis has noted many times that he uses NPR.

You know, the Non-Political Reporting network that waffles between center-left and left stances?

GlennS
GlennS HalfDork
8/28/08 5:53 p.m.
oldsaw wrote:
Dr. Hess wrote: Besides the fact that he's accurate, what's the problem? I suppose it's always best to get your news from CBS. We _know_ they would never make something up. Hey, have any of youse guys seen "War, Inc."? It takes place in Turaqistan. It's pretty funny.
Hey, Doc, Salanis has noted many times that he uses NPR. You know, the Non-Political Reporting network that waffles between center-left and left stances?

He has also sited wikipedia. A free online encyclopedia updated by its users that is rabbid with liberal bias

wiki liberal bias">

exerpt from link above: Wikipedia has a liberal bias "six times greater than the level of liberal bias in the American public according to studies we've done" -Robert Siegel points out the differences in entries on the kangaroo (Wikipedia says roos date back to prehistoric times, Conservapedia says the critters, like all animals, descended from those taken aboard Noah's Ark).

Others have argued that reality simply has a strong liberal bias, you be the judge.

Salanis
Salanis Dork
8/28/08 6:06 p.m.

I also come from California, which everyone knows that everyone in California is a liberal, pot-smoking, hemp-wearing, patchouli-sniffing, granola-crunching, surfer, hippy.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
8/28/08 7:22 p.m.

Well, Salanis, I come from California too, but, unlike you, I escaped.

Besides, while the ghost written memoir is an interesting side note, you have totally missed the main point of the article, and that is that Da O's entire political career has been set up by the Saudies. I guess you didn't want to see that part. That's the conspiracy.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
8/28/08 7:37 p.m.

GlennS in the PRC, you have missed the entire philosophy of Conservatism. In fact, you've mistaken it for Judeo-Christian Religion. Here, let me help you out:

Liberal: We, the Liberal Elite are going to tax, disarm and enslave the peon classes so that they will do whatever we tell them to so we can sit on our asses in luxury while they clean our houses. We convince them that these taxes and the police that enforce the taxes at gunpoint are really their own idea and good for them.

Conservative: Someone tries to enslave me and I'm gonna busta cap in his ass. Get the berkeley out of my wallet. Tax this, shiny happy person.

Now, which are you, GlennS?

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
8/28/08 9:23 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: GlennS in the PRC, you have missed the entire philosophy of Conservatism. In fact, you've mistaken it for Judeo-Christian Religion. Here, let me help you out: Liberal: We, the Liberal Elite are going to tax, disarm and enslave the peon classes so that they will do whatever we tell them to so we can sit on our asses in luxury while they clean our houses. We convince them that these taxes and the police that enforce the taxes at gunpoint are really their own idea and good for them. Conservative: Someone tries to enslave me and I'm gonna busta cap in his ass. Get the berkeley out of my wallet. Tax this, shiny happy person. Now, which are you, GlennS?

you forgot the..

Conservative: I'm selfish and if you don't believe in Jesus, I'll drag you behind my ford for 5 miles down a gravel road.. We don't care about the working man because they are too stoopid to become a captain of industry like me.. so I must enslave them at pitance wages. But.... vote for me because taxes are bad and we don't want to take away your freedoms.. Just the freedoms of the evil doers. (evil doer definition to be determined at a later date) also did I mention that I am selfish.

part.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/28/08 11:13 p.m.

Question: If no one pays taxes, where will the money for the roads we love come from? Where will the money to run the government come from? These are honest questions, I'm not trying to be a punk. Dr. Hess can usually back up his statements, whether I agree with them or not, so I'm hoping he will have some insight here.

GregTivo
GregTivo New Reader
8/29/08 12:03 a.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: Well, Salanis, I come from California too, but, unlike you, I escaped. Besides, while the ghost written memoir is an interesting side note, you have totally missed the main point of the article, and that is that Da O's entire political career has been set up by the Saudies. I guess you didn't want to see that part. That's the conspiracy.

wow, now I've heard conspiracies on both sides, that the Saudis are pumping oil as fast as they can so McCain and the republicans will get elected and now that the sauds are speicifcally grooming Obama to be president through building his career. These Sauds are brilliant!!!

GregTivo
GregTivo New Reader
8/29/08 12:08 a.m.
thatsnowinnebago wrote: Question: If no one pays taxes, where will the money for the roads we love come from? Where will the money to run the government come from? These are honest questions, I'm not trying to be a punk. Dr. Hess can usually back up his statements, whether I agree with them or not, so I'm hoping he will have some insight here.

which taxes? income tax, SS tax, sales tax, corporate tax, death tax, property tax, windfall profit tax, licensing tax, regulatory tax....?

Taxes are necessary for government yes, but there sure is alot of vaguary why they're collecting so many different types and what they're doing with them.

GlennS
GlennS HalfDork
8/29/08 12:13 a.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: GlennS in the PRC, you have missed the entire philosophy of Conservatism. In fact, you've mistaken it for Judeo-Christian Religion. Here, let me help you out: Liberal: We, the Liberal Elite are going to tax, disarm and enslave the peon classes so that they will do whatever we tell them to so we can sit on our asses in luxury while they clean our houses. We convince them that these taxes and the police that enforce the taxes at gunpoint are really their own idea and good for them. Conservative: Someone tries to enslave me and I'm gonna busta cap in his ass. Get the berkeley out of my wallet. Tax this, shiny happy person. Now, which are you, GlennS?

i have the ability to intentionaly miss/misscharacterize things which i did intentionaly. I know i was being unfair in my characterization of conservatives. I was having fun.

I disagree with your characterization of liberals and also feel that your characterization of the conservative movement in america has left out a lot of what they have currently embraced.

GlennS
GlennS HalfDork
8/29/08 12:15 a.m.
GregTivo wrote:
Dr. Hess wrote: Well, Salanis, I come from California too, but, unlike you, I escaped. Besides, while the ghost written memoir is an interesting side note, you have totally missed the main point of the article, and that is that Da O's entire political career has been set up by the Saudies. I guess you didn't want to see that part. That's the conspiracy.
wow, now I've heard conspiracies on both sides, that the Saudis are pumping oil as fast as they can so McCain and the republicans will get elected and now that the sauds are speicifcally grooming Obama to be president through building his career. These Sauds are brilliant!!!

When you have billions in liquid assets and a lot of time on your hands you would be amazed at what you could accomplish.

thatsnowinnebago wrote: Question: If no one pays taxes, where will the money for the roads we love come from? Where will the money to run the government come from? These are honest questions, I'm not trying to be a punk. Dr. Hess can usually back up his statements, whether I agree with them or not, so I'm hoping he will have some insight here.

Road Warrior economy

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RAL6CiF3njRtNHbhCoBUtoXiZ6CGdbuqD5Xo4AL6XkUtfqd2lqTBY7fPNoQrkIL1