1 2 3 4
DrBoost
DrBoost HalfDork
11/12/09 11:19 a.m.

I was inspired by the #1 topic and got me thinking. Most of us pick our first car out of necessity, I did. WE buy what comes along at the right time for the right price.
So, how many cars have you owned (don't count parts cars or titled frames, just cars you've owned and driven), and what is the coolest one(s)?
I'll start. I'm 37 years old and I think I have owned, titled and driven close to 30 cars. As for the coolest, I think I'd have to qualify that question with a few catagories:
Coolest car for DD duty, my 91 miata. What a car. That chassis is as close to perfect as I'll ever afford.
Car I had the most fun in: one of my 86 CJ7's. It was built like today's Rubicon (right down to the rocker protection, gearing, lockers and tires, but mine was first) and would and did go everywhere I pointed it. I wish I still had that one!
Coolest car over-all: my 76 RHD mini. It doesn't qualify for DD duty, way too small and uncomfortable for that but it is a blast every time you drive it. If you are just zipping 3 miles up the road for milk or gas, it still takes 45 minutes because of either the questions you get in the parking lot, of the detour you make on your way home just for the twisty roads.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Dork
11/12/09 11:28 a.m.

My 60 TR3 was definitely the coolest car I ever owned. Pretty girls I had no idea who they were would wave at me when driving that car.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
11/12/09 11:30 a.m.

Arg. This is a hard question.

I'd have to say either my first car (1991 Audio 90S Quattro 20v) or two of my currents. (1992 Celica, 1990 MX6 GT Turbo.)

The Audi was classy, beautiful, and drove like a dream. SO much fun.

The Celica, is raw, uncomfortable, but there's nothing better than putting it through it's paces.

The MX6 is just cool in an old(kinda) school japanese box kindof way. Nobody around here can tell what it is, they've never seen one. And it's fast, and there's something cool about that unholy spool bouncing off of houses and buildings off the side of the street.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
11/12/09 11:34 a.m.

88 Dodge Shadow ES (turbo.) That thing would_not_die. Never had the typical HG problems. Never replaced the turbo. Bought with around 200k miles. Sold it with 265k and made money.

86 CRX Si (A-hole challenge car.) Slightly stiffer rear springs, lightening, and a bigass rear swaybar. Nitrous for the drags. Another one that refused to die. I don't know how many nitrous runs that thing has had on its 180,000 mile motor, but it still pulls like a champ.

86 Civic EP autocrosser. Non-streetable, but jeebus cripes, that car had more torque than any honda I've ever driven, and was insanely easy to drive, provided there was enough heat in the slicks. It just did whatever you asked it to do. After driving that thing for a couple seasons, any other autox car feels like everything is happening in slow-motion.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/12/09 11:36 a.m.

1979 Hurst Olds Cutlass? 1969 Chevrolet Camaro Convertible Pace Car?

Kia_racer
Kia_racer Reader
11/12/09 11:36 a.m.

It would probably have been the 71 Hemi Chalenger. bought wrecked and rebuilt. Not a numbers matching car. I miss it until I pull into a gas station. That was the only thing it couldn't pass.

RossD
RossD HalfDork
11/12/09 11:45 a.m.

Supercharged MR2

1953 CJ-3A with a Pontiac 3.8 in it

1965 Jeep J-300 with a Buick 350 and it later got 400 Mopar and HD 3/4 Ton axles swapped into it.

2000 Twin Turbo Audi A6 with 6sp manual

1977 Capri

1991 Jetta GLI was kinda neat

pete240z
pete240z Dork
11/12/09 11:45 a.m.

SPL311-05969 1966 Datsun Roadster 1600 - owned for 6 years.

Dark blue model with white wheels between the two red models - shown at the Dairlyand Datsun Roadster Meet (Vintage Races weekend 1991)

Shaun
Shaun Reader
11/12/09 11:48 a.m.

A tie:

A very clean mustard 1971 TR-6. Like Spitfirebill, I experienced girls waving at me and for a time thought it had something to do with me since I was young and gullible.

A metallic blue 1974 vega hatchback with a 350 SBC mated to a built turbo 350 setup with a B&M slap shifter. It was done right with all the Monza V8 bits and everything worked, and had the stock ss Vega rims widened a couple inches to accept wider tires. Clean as whistle- total sleeper. It was not a radical motor by any means, maybe 280 hp, 340 ftlbs, and as you would imagine it hauled ass on that. A stupidly fast car that ran out of gears at 140 while still accelerating pretty hard coupled with brakes that had one stop from speed in them. I loved it.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/12/09 11:59 a.m.

My '88 Vette roadster. That car has taken me to more first time motorsports experiences than all my others combined. My '88 Fiero Formula showed me what good handling was and gave me the final push to learn how to drive properly. 1976 Corvette, looked great, felt great, first car I drove over 100mph. 87 Firebird, slow off the line, but best freeway cruiser ever.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer Dork
11/12/09 12:05 p.m.

hmm... Dunno. I miss my E36 everyday, even though it was boring. My E30 was just flat out badass, my Fiat 128 was very unique, the Rabbit was a basket case, my Jetta now is terrible, MR2 was cool. To pick just one.... I would have to say my E30 for the win!

pigeon
pigeon HalfDork
11/12/09 12:15 p.m.

I guess it depends on the definition of "cool". For "cool" as in most toys, relatively unique or exclusive my current 750Li is it. For "cool" as in best driver my old '96 Miata.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson Reader
11/12/09 12:16 p.m.

HHmm, well to me it's proably my current Volvo C30, but to the readers of this board my Davrian Mk VII would probably win. Go hit up google images then get back to me. It was my only car for nearly 2 years :)

EricM
EricM HalfDork
11/12/09 12:18 p.m.

I have never owned any cool cars.

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
11/12/09 12:19 p.m.

'72 yellow Pantera.

Shaun
Shaun Reader
11/12/09 12:19 p.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: hmm... Dunno. I miss my E36 everyday, even though it was boring. My E30 was just flat out badass, my Fiat 128 was very unique, the Rabbit was a basket case, my Jetta now is terrible, MR2 was cool. To pick just one.... I would have to say my E30 for the win!

I owned a 128, It was a really fun little car and My first FWD experience and by far the best handling car I had owned to date. It dropped a valve and the amount of work it took to fix it was mind bending, so after it was fixed for a spell I traded it for a guild 12 string acoustic guitar that I still own.

Carson
Carson Dork
11/12/09 12:20 p.m.

I don't think anyone would consider it the "coolest" anything but my favourite was my '82 Civic GL 5 speed I got for free dollars. Factory option Enkei wheels and everything. This is the car I miss the most of all the cars I've owned.

The day I got her:

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer Dork
11/12/09 12:23 p.m.
Shaun wrote:
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: hmm... Dunno. I miss my E36 everyday, even though it was boring. My E30 was just flat out badass, my Fiat 128 was very unique, the Rabbit was a basket case, my Jetta now is terrible, MR2 was cool. To pick just one.... I would have to say my E30 for the win!
I owned a 128, It was a really fun little car and My first FWD experience and by far the best handling car I had owned to date. It dropped a valve and the amount of work it took to fix it was mind bending, so after it was fixed for a spell I traded it for a guild 12 string acoustic guitar that I still own.

i sold mine to a buddy who lives about a mile up the street. Im gonna buy it back, the only thing is i have no room to store it anywhere. I have the Lotus in bits in one garage, Swift in the other, the Jetta in one, and the GF's Honda in the other, so no more room. Until i can get one sold, moved, out, totalled, ect... i will get the 128 back into my arms...

sobe_death
sobe_death New Reader
11/12/09 12:24 p.m.

In reply to Carson:

I had an '80 wagon! My S2000 takes second place to it any day!

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
11/12/09 12:34 p.m.
Carson wrote: I don't think anyone would consider it the "coolest" anything but my favourite was my '82 Civic GL 5 speed I got for free dollars. Factory option Enkei wheels and everything. This is the car I miss the most of all the cars I've owned. The day I got her:

Arrrggghh! Wasn't that thing on ATL CL forever?

Carson
Carson Dork
11/12/09 12:34 p.m.

In reply to sobe_death:

It made me a little sad pulling up that picture. I had it striped out and in mid D16 swap when I ran out of space and time. I passed it a long to a GRM member with the promise that it would be entered in the $2007 Challenge. I'm pretty sure he sold it for scrap as soon as he picked it up.

V8er
V8er New Reader
11/12/09 12:35 p.m.

in order 2000 Ford Mustang GT - first 5 speed and current car, 1967 Dodge Coronet - bought with high school graduation money, 1970 Ford Torino - the car I still wish I had, 1979 Dodge Powerwagon, 1994 Ford Bronco - current winter truck and parts hauler, 1987 Chevy Camaro - 305 v8 automatic, first car, 1990 Ford Bronco, 1999 Mercury Cougar - realized I was not a fwd kind of person, 1964 Dodge Dart.

Carson
Carson Dork
11/12/09 12:35 p.m.

In reply to poopshovel:

Nope, not that one. I got it in 2004 in Raleigh. Been in NC all it's life. I've been looking for another since.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/12/09 12:59 p.m.

All depends on the eye of the beholder. When people see my garage, they'll usually zoom in on a particular car. But it's always a different car. I think I've been lucky enough to own a fairly high percentage of cool cars, but I could never say which was coolest.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/12/09 1:00 p.m.
DrBoost wrote: Coolest car over-all: my 76 RHD mini. It doesn't qualify for DD duty, way too small and uncomfortable for that but it is a blast every time you drive it. If you are just zipping 3 miles up the road for milk or gas, it still takes 45 minutes because of either the questions you get in the parking lot, of the detour you make on your way home just for the twisty roads.

This is 100% truth.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RNNmX6cHff4n1fBOjjQ6A1qoO83uOxqxIf86TfEzaKeqNWp9bgmT5OWkItwa3nbR