1 2 3 4
P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/12/09 10:03 p.m.

I've had over 100 cars already, but that's including parts cars. I've had some pretty cool drivers, let's see, here's the cool ones in order:

• 74 AMC Javelin (360/Auto)
  • 86 Mazda RX-7 (Streetport)
  • 92 Eagle Talon (Stock Turbo AWD)
  • 91 Eagle Talon (Turbo AWD modded)
  • 87 Ford TBird Turbo (modded)
  • 88 Ford TBird Turbo (stock w/bodykit)
  • 92 Ford SHO (CURSED!!!)
  • 88 Ford TBird Turbo (too modded)
  • 01 Ford P71 (modded, still have)
  • 83 Mazda RX-7 (modded, still have)

I've had some pretty cool projects too, but if I never got them running I didn't include them. The Turbo Coupe with the bodykit got me a few dates. The coolest for the girls was the RX-7's, they think they're "cute".

My next car is gonna be the coolest though...

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/12/09 10:08 p.m.

Cordoba? Buick Century? Impala Wagon? Grand Cherokee? Not too much coolness there. If my MR2 is cool, then it is the first and only cool car.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
11/12/09 10:10 p.m.

autoxrs
autoxrs New Reader
11/12/09 10:21 p.m.

Strange, it appears I have not been banned yet. I thought it was like Harry Potter, the mere mention of this car's name would conjure up evil things.

P.S. Per you should post a picture of it in the next issue in the reader rides section. But, I fear the magazine would promptly lose 11ty brazzillion subscribers.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/12/09 10:21 p.m.

i dunno. corvette? lowered caddy on 17's? bitchin camaro? the belair?

hard to say. i'd probably say the belair, others would say the vette.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
11/12/09 10:29 p.m.
patgizz wrote: ...hard to say. i'd probably say the belair, others would say the vette.

The Belair for certain. That thing was too cool for school!

xci_ed6
xci_ed6 Reader
11/12/09 11:13 p.m.
autoxrs wrote:

85 Si, one of my first cars (two-for-one mechanic's special). Same color, even. Who cares if the top is gone? It's just weight savings, right?

benzbaron
benzbaron Reader
11/12/09 11:43 p.m.

I just have owned one car and it is a keeper so the 1978 280slc is going to have to do. Half the time I think about how silly it is to spend my time and money on a 31year old car that is worth maybe 5000$ on a good day with a full moon.

That is the weirdest crx I've ever seen, cool! Those are kewl cars.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
11/13/09 12:54 a.m.

First of all, I love my Corrados (I have to say that, since the black one may be listening).

Coolest to me? 1979 BMW 323i.

I was trying to import grey market cars to finish paying for college (I failed..), but after driving this one, I told the guy asking me to find one that I couldn't find anything. I hid it away for about a month, but he got really pissed when he saw me on the street in it ("..dude, this market moves quick! I thought you weren't interested anymore!.."). It was a small Southern town, you can't hide much of anything for very long..

Got it about 1983 or so, when BMW had just been discovered by the "yuppies". The streets were full of US market E21s, wheezing along with smogged M10 engines dragging full leather interiors, rubberbabybuggybumpers, and a ton of power "luxury" crap as well.

It was like my 2002 on cocaine (we didn't have Meth back then). Power, handling, and lightness. It was a chick magnet on the outside, since girls back then thought it was just another 320i with a rich guy in it. They were disappointed by the inside, since it had cloth seats and the original European AM/FM monophonic/medium wave radio. I'm not advocating getting weird on the street, but I have to admit that I made a lot of the local guys in new 3rd gen Camaros & Firebirds, and Fox chassis Mustangs scratch their heads and wonder WTBerkeley just happened to them..especially on the curvy 2-lanes at night (halogen lights weren't exactly legal yet in the US back then).

I lost her one rainy morning after I moved to Atlanta. I guess about Spring 1987 or so, I was headed to Road Atlanta to work corners, and some clown knocked me into the wall in the median of I-85 N. Didn't help that I was just about broke, and was running SCCA Spec Racer (Renault, back then) takeoff Goodyear Eagles on it. That was also the morning I joined the "Roof Drivers' Club".

EDIT: Forgot to mention it was raining. Shaved tires with a few heat cycles were probably not the best thing for that, especially in an E21 with decent power.

I ended up letting it go to a BMW buddy of mine back in Mississippi (the small Southern town I mentioned previously), he took the sweet little M20 and rear discs out of it, and put them into his wife's US market E21. I've lost contact with the guy, don't know whether it's still running around or not.

It doesn't happen as often as it used to, but I still have dreams about that car from time to time..

rebelgtp
rebelgtp Dork
11/13/09 1:31 a.m.

The car I constantly miss is my old second gen Camaro that thing was a blast and loads of power. Though if I can get the Olds finished and built the way I want I think that will be in the top spot.

Luke
Luke SuperDork
11/13/09 3:19 a.m.

As far as cheap beaters go, I think my my new BMW is pretty cool.

But not as cool as my old Fiat was.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Jay
Jay Dork
11/13/09 5:09 a.m.

I've been driving for 11 years and in that time had 11 cars. Honestly I reckon the two I have now are the coolest I've ever owned.

There were some goofballs that I really liked at the time, like my old Civic Wagovan and AE86 hatchback, but for straight "cool" appeal (especially among non-GRMer types) nothing beats a red convertible Lotus, and the Starion is just badass.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Reader
11/13/09 6:16 a.m.

The coolest car I have owned/own is my current 78(yes I called it a 78,it is an early car) SA RX-7 GS. It is the pride of my fleet,and probably the only one I would never part with. I love my REPU,and new RX-4,but the RX-7 is the one I long to drive. I bought it from the original owner,and while it isn't perfect it is damn close,and I can't wait for the spring to drive it again.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
11/13/09 6:33 a.m.

My coolest cars are probably sitting in my yard right now. Take your pick:

-'60 El Camino

-323 GTX

-5 spd SVX

-Corvair

-Wide bodied Yugo racer

-Justy

-Lotus Europa

-Turbo Dodge Minivan

-Dodge Spirit R/T

But my favorite, was my first. 1966 VW Bus. So cool, in a completely uncool way!

aeronca65t
aeronca65t HalfDork
11/13/09 6:56 a.m.

To me, the "best" car is always the one you're working on right now. Right now, I'm building a vintage racing A-35 ~Like This One~

I've owned a ton of interesting cars (including a Lloyd and and Autobianchini). I still lament the selling of my MGA when I was 19.

And I actually owned a "factory" Volvo P1800 test mule built by the US Volvo distributor with a 289 Ford V8 and four speed. Keen.

I'm at a point where I can own some moderately nice cars. Nothing real fancy. Even if I was rich, I'd choose all these cars. Here's my little collection

~Nice MGB~

~Racing Spridget~

And, of course, ~A Miata~

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/13/09 7:06 a.m.

In my opinion:

My 914. My first foreign car and my first 5 speed. What we took on our honeymoon. When the wife got prego with twins we traded it in for something more practical - a Mustang.

In her opinion:

My 1987 MR2.

Stan

spin_out
spin_out New Reader
11/13/09 7:17 a.m.

If we are talking about "Cool" I think it comes down to how you Feel behind the wheel.
So I'm going to say my '66 Mustang fastback. It's a car I could meerly sit in, and enjoy. It just felt right.

Partial list of what I have owned: '27 T Coupe, '63 Avanti, '65 Mustang FB, '66 FB, '68 FB, '70 FB, '84 GT turbo, '96 GT, 98 Camaro SS, '05 Mazdaspeed Miata, '67 Fairlane HT, '89 XT-6, '63 Lark, '80 TR-8, '85 GLH, '92 IROC R/T, '75 Bricklin, 85-88 XR$Ti, '86 GRM Fiero, '81 DMC-12, '02 Boxster.

OMG, I have a serious problem.

(And I regret selling the '84 GT turbo)

MiatarPowar
MiatarPowar HalfDork
11/13/09 7:53 a.m.
bam2002 wrote: I still have them A Citroen DS 21 and a Baur BMW 1600

Are you in the US? I've been reading way too much about DS' lately.

Most people seemed to love the 1972 95 that I drove every day for a few months. I think they just liked the crazy (poorly done) paint scheme and the tailfins.

My '72 95

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
11/13/09 8:42 a.m.

I've had a few cool cars, but cool is in the eye of the beholder, right?

With the good comes the bad, I also have a list of regrets: 1964 Galaxie convertible, 352 four speed I sold when I was 17 should have been a keeper. Not finishing the Corvair wagon is a biggie but keep watching; it's soon to be a straight axle 60's gasser at the local drags.

The Datsun was cool but too small for traffic or comfort (feeling safe). The BatVan was cool but a PITA.

Stay tuned kids, more stuff coming, more regrets to lament; but that's life.

Dan

slantvaliant
slantvaliant HalfDork
11/13/09 8:52 a.m.

Not too cool compared to some of the cars here, but I absolutely loved my '84 Dodge Shelby Charger. For the time and for the money, it was quick and fun to drive.

wbjones
wbjones Reader
11/13/09 9:44 a.m.
NYG95GA wrote:
wbjones wrote: imagine a 19 yr old sailor with a bright yellow '64 E coupe... driving around Norfolk in the late 60's / early 70's
Get lucky much?

a gentleman never tells

bamalama
bamalama Reader
11/13/09 10:18 a.m.

The coolest car I ever had was probably a ratty old 72 510.

My favorite though was my 85 RX-7.

bamalama
bamalama Reader
11/13/09 10:23 a.m.

..or if you like American cars, my 70 Catalina wagon with a nice heads/cam 455 always went over well at the cruise in:

Hal
Hal HalfDork
11/13/09 10:25 a.m.

I've had a bunch of vehicles but the one that most people think is the coolest is the Alfa I bought in 1966.

Personally, I think my current one is the coolest. It will outrun and outhandle anything I have owned before and doesn't attract any unwanted attention doing it.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/13/09 1:35 p.m.

I guess that what's cool to me, isn't necessarily what's cool to everyone around me. My Porsche has a surprising effect on nearly everyone who sees it, but it's not my choice of coolest car. Everybody comments on it, even non-car people, and it's always something positive.

But the cars that I miss the most are the 89 Civic Si that I bought new and the 67 Plymouth Belvedere II hardtop that my grandfather bought new.

I drove the Civic into the ground (300k miles), and I spent 10 years trying to find the Plymouth after I sold it.

I also owned a pair of 65 Mustangs (a coupe and a fastback) that I wanted more than any other cars ever, but even though they looked great, they weren't great cars and I don't miss them at all.

The vehicle that I enjoyed the most (surprisingly) was my 97 Jeep Wrangler. It was a fairly horrible mode of transportation. Noisy, bouncy and something broke or failed every week. But, I could usually fix it with a hammer, I never felt an obligation to wash it unless I could no longer see out the windows and it was a hell of a lot of fun to just bomb around in with the top and doors off.

As mentioned here before, I sold it on e-Bay and it was totalled in the movie The Happening. Now that's cool.

I don't miss that Jeep in particular, but I do miss owning a Jeep. I'm sure I'll own another one some day. Good thing they made so many of them.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7f4Of3thsfBtI35JHR0KeMYMfbnsD6Lu6k8v0CRzCnM7OnECNSJB6Zgb69wVX7QL