1 2
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/2/20 9:53 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson :

From the article I linked to above... 

Moreno was arrested after the incident and charged with train wrecking, a federal offense that carries a potential sentence of up to 20 years in prison, according to the U.S. Attorney’s office.

Moreno was charged under “18 USC 1992: Wrecking trains,” which makes it a federal offense to willfully derail or disable a train or engine used in interstate or foreign commerce by any railroad.

And, that is without the terrorism charges yet to be determined. 

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
4/2/20 11:30 a.m.
1988RedT2 said:

I must be de-sensitized.  It just seems funny to me.

I'll go with my usual rule of thumb that it's OK to laugh once it's clear there are no serious injuries.  I'm not sure the railroad's insurance company agrees with me on that, however.

The0retical (Forum Supporter)
The0retical (Forum Supporter) UberDork
4/2/20 12:00 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Nothing like getting nailed to the wall by a piece of 1948 legislation designed to protect interstate commerce shipping lanes.

I honestly expected it to be codified in the 1890s. It's way more recent than I thought.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/2/20 12:09 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

IMO, you're thinking way too far into this. What caused this is the same type of delusional paranoia that persuades someone to shoot up a pizza shop because they think a certain politician is trafficking and abusing children in the basement, or whatever. I don't really think this guy thought his plan through completely.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/2/20 12:12 p.m.

In reply to The0retical (Forum Supporter) :

Well, as I recently learned, apparently people in the 1890s thought crashing trains was just good old fashioned fun:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crush,_Texas

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
4/2/20 12:19 p.m.
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/2/20 12:23 p.m.
The0retical (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to John Welsh :

Nothing like getting nailed to the wall by a piece of 1948 legislation designed to protect interstate commerce shipping lanes.

I honestly expected it to be codified in the 1890s. It's way more recent than I thought.

He's probably lucky that he did not have a rail car on there, with cargo.  He then probably would have been hit with train robbery.  I think that comes with some pretty stiff penalties back from the days of Jesse James and Butch Cassidy. 

MadScientistMatt
4/2/20 1:12 p.m.
Furious_E said:

In reply to John Welsh :

IMO, you're thinking way too far into this. What caused this is the same type of delusional paranoia that persuades someone to shoot up a pizza shop because they think a certain politician is trafficking and abusing children in the basement, or whatever. I don't really think this guy thought his plan through completely.

A plan that involves crashing a train into a hospital ship is either James Bond villain crazy or howl-at-the-moon crazy. This one appears to be the latter, so I'm not surprised the whole targeting problem wasn't thoroughly thought out.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/2/20 3:31 p.m.

So wait, you are saying his crashing the train 800 ft short of the ship was a flawed plan?

So what, are you also implying that the COVID crisis is NOT a government plot to take control of the populace, and of course our precious bodily fluids....

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/2/20 4:21 p.m.

AIRCOOLED! 

WE MUST NOT ALLOW A FACE MASK GAP!

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
4/2/20 4:37 p.m.

I don't see anything in the article about him trying to actually hit the ship.   All I see is statements that he did it to draw attention to what he imagined was happening on the ship.  Whatever that was.

The only mention of "attacking" the ship was in the title to this thread.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
4/2/20 5:32 p.m.

It would be interesting to see his Google search for the past few weeks , 

I wonder which website is pushing  that the Mercy ship   is part of an evil plot ?

drainoil
drainoil Dork
4/2/20 5:40 p.m.
Cooter said:

I don't see anything in the article about him trying to actually hit the ship.   All I see is statements that he did it to draw attention to what he imagined was happening on the ship.  Whatever that was.

The only mention of "attacking" the ship was in the title to this thread.

Indeed

slefain
slefain PowerDork
4/2/20 5:54 p.m.

I'm just disappointed he didn't ride it out on top.

Sparkydog
Sparkydog HalfDork
4/2/20 6:33 p.m.

Maybe the joke really will be on us... right now he's "The crazy guy" and in 100 years they will be naming high schools after him and 3D printing his head on Mt Rushmore.

_
_ Dork
4/2/20 8:21 p.m.

In reply to Furious_E :

Pizza gate was REAL! And chem trails, and Loch Ness....

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
4/2/20 8:43 p.m.
Duke said:

Quick, #nickdixon, what kind of locomotive is that?

That's a MPI MP20B-3, basically a refurbished GP38 with a modern engine.

chada75
chada75 Reader
4/2/20 10:48 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

So the Looney Tune didn't ask the Cop "What's the Frequency, Kenneth?"

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
4/3/20 7:45 a.m.

In reply to chada75 :

Cool, I didn't know the story behind 'Waht's the frequency Kenneth?' until now.  Your post made me look it up.  Note, I was still in the UK when the incident happened and only moved here the month before Monster was launched.

MadScientistMatt
4/3/20 10:14 a.m.

Here's the obligatory Ozzy parody.

Mercy - It's not what you think
Conspiracy theories drive to the brink
Maybe it's time to get real
And see if the concrete will hold up train wheels

The whole world is watching
Just one chance at fame
I'm going after the ship with my crazy train!
I'm going after the ship with my crazy train!

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
4/3/20 11:29 a.m.

to someone in the know , 

Would this train normally have more than just the driver as crew ?

Was there another guy hanging off the back like an old cartoon ?

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
4/3/20 2:43 p.m.
red_stapler said:
Duke said:

Quick, #nickdixon, what kind of locomotive is that?

That's a MPI MP20B-3, basically a refurbished GP38 with a modern engine.

Ex-Maine Central #254. Found a photo of her from '71 in her original life.

Then she had the 2000hp EMD 645 V16 removed, a new 2000hp Detroit installed, different fans and radiators and upgraded electrical system. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bSo5XvGyIO1Y2VSL9cwp8Nj0nqd7dD5II6IpaV6b9zD4spte2w7C7lcVWkBDyu6h