1 2
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/23/22 8:18 a.m.

Following this thread as I'm looking for some similar bronze paint to match my current wheels - both for model-painting and touch-up purposes.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/23/22 9:24 a.m.

This is the Duplicolor HWP105 with a satin clear coat.  It's a little darker from brake dust, but not by much.  I did them like 4 years ago and the finish has held up very well.  Jegs has the best price that I could find. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/23/22 10:24 a.m.
93gsxturbo said:

Curtis if you look at the pic of the wheels I posted they have a black lip, that really makes the bronze pop and also gives a break from the ZOMG WALL OF GOLD that makes it look like a rattle can.  The wheels you have could get the same treatment, just mask them on the very inside of the lip and you wont see the hard mask line.

The other bronze that looked decent was the Plastidip bronze.  I painted the wheels on my 02 Corvette - magnetic red metallic II - basically same color as your van AKA geezer burgandy - with bronze plastidip and left the lips chrome.  It held up well and was a bit more of a matte finish so not quite as bling bling or obnoxious.  

I am a sucker for bronze wheels but they really need a black or chrome lip to look proper on chunky wheels.  

I'm loving those vette wheels.

My thought with having a black lip is that I already have a black lip... the tires.  I often look at black lips on wheels and to me it just makes them visually seem like smaller wheels.  I don't mind a contrasting color on the lip, but part of me thinks "I paid for 20" wheels, I don't want to paint them to look like 18s"

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/23/22 10:28 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Nothing against champagne, just going a little more on the dark side for this project.  The wheels already stand out because of their size and design, and when I paint/coat the roof rack to match I don't want it to be an ocean of brightness.  I want them to hide a little

But you are right... dang sexy.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/9/24 5:54 p.m.

Resurrecting this thread, Curtis did you end up repainting the wheels again? I'm aiming to repaint my winter (storage) wheels to match the summer ones, and maybe do some DIY touch-up on the summer wheels when I swap them on next month. Here's a better look at the color I'm hoping to match, doesn't have to be perfect but I would like it to be close:

I ended up buying a tiny spray can of dedicated model paint for model painting but it's a lot more gold-ish. These are the same design as the winter wheels though, so it gives some idea of what I'm aiming for:

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
3/9/24 10:52 p.m.

Method wheels come in a perfect bronze, also Apex wheels have a great bronze.  I need to find the powder coat equivalent.  You see I have a powder line at my current employer.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zW5NSUNB735MxV2558jUt9es9OWyYmdZEyqygoCcCVLZjFJHGqUJgkxtcgzi74EH