1 2
Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
6/13/12 12:08 p.m.

Thank you for not immediately resorting to name calling. Using data to back up your point of view is also very helpful, and I appreciate it.

Sorry guys, I just finished up with my entertainment for the day, and all I can say is I'm trimming my Facebook friends list.

Anyway, to the point at hand. Why do people have such a hard time when debating? Why do so many instantly resort to name calling and all around asshattery the moment someone shares an opinion that is contradictory to theirs? Is this a new phenomenon, or is this something that is only being learned through experience? It's not like I haven't seen activity like this before, but I've never seen such mass ignorance like this.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 SuperDork
6/13/12 12:18 p.m.

Well, that really ticks me off. We all are very nice people here, and not at all inclined to pointless arguing. I myself happen to be a devout pacifist, and if you happen to tell me I'm not, I'll rip your head off and go bowling with it.

aircooled
aircooled UberDork
6/13/12 12:22 p.m.
Derick Freese wrote: ...Why do people have such a hard time when debating?...

You must not have cable.

oh... and you're a poo poo head!

PHeller
PHeller SuperDork
6/13/12 12:22 p.m.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
6/13/12 12:25 p.m.

I couldn't love GRM the magazine or the website more, and believe me, I don't like to be the P.C police or anything or the guy who has a problem with everything thing, but I do have a problem with this... I find it a bit offensive that you use terms like “opinion" and "contradictory" for your little descriptions or whatever in the discussions. I myself am not a debater, but I feel sensitivity for people with who are, as I am a student living among them, and my Girlfriend is pursuing her masters in the field.

These terms although I'm pretty sure are not even real words, are obviously meant to resemble the words used to describe people inflicted with ignorance , and it appears that they are used on these boards in a joking sense which, as I view it, makes light of people who have a facebook account.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
6/13/12 12:27 p.m.

No, I have cable. I just get my news from the internet. I mostly use Netflix for my TV entertainment. SWMBO is the one that requires cable.

Wait, there we go, that's my problem. I haven't watched enough episodes of The Jersey Shore.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
6/13/12 12:31 p.m.
Derick Freese wrote: No, I have cable. I just get my news from the internet. I mostly use Netflix for my TV entertainment. SWMBO is the one that requires cable. Wait, there we go, that's my problem. I haven't watched enough episodes of The Jersey Shore.

Unless you use wi-fi, you do use a cable... so there..

Wait, that's using data and information to debate. Darn it.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
6/13/12 12:34 p.m.

Well, I'm fiber to the curb, single twisted pair to the NID, coax from the NID to my Rodem, and wifi from my rodem to my DD-WRT router that serves only my desktop.

PHeller
PHeller SuperDork
6/13/12 12:36 p.m.

You really like talking computer stuff, dont you?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 SuperDork
6/13/12 12:36 p.m.

I can't help but feel that if Scooby Doo were on the internet, he would use a rodem.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
6/13/12 12:37 p.m.
Derick Freese wrote: Why do people have such a hard time when debating? Why do so many instantly resort to name calling and all around asshattery the moment someone shares an opinion that is contradictory to theirs?
  1. Because they have nothing of substance to back up their opinion or claim.

2. Because they are insecure and feel personally threatened when challenged.

3. Because they are lazy, and it is far easier to throw insults than to actually do research.

If you actually do think this is new, you haven't been paying attention to people and history.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
6/13/12 12:45 p.m.

In reply to foxtrapper:

I've experienced it before, but not on this magnitude.

Let's pretend that the normal level of idiocracy is a normal sized Twinkie. In comparison, the current level of idiocracy would indicate that the Twinkie be 35 feet long and over 600 pounds. With power levels over nine thousand.

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
6/13/12 12:47 p.m.
Derick Freese wrote: In comparison, the current level of idiocracy would indicate that the Twinkie be 35 feet long and over 600 pounds. With power levels over nine thousand.

You underestimate.

Salanis
Salanis PowerDork
6/13/12 12:49 p.m.
Derick Freese wrote: Why do so many instantly resort to name calling and all around asshattery the moment someone shares an opinion that is contradictory to theirs?

Because you're an shiny happy person.

ThePhranc
ThePhranc Dork
6/13/12 12:50 p.m.

You're all wrong.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
6/13/12 12:53 p.m.
Derick Freese wrote: In reply to foxtrapper: I've experienced it before, but not on this magnitude. Let's pretend that the normal level of idiocracy is a normal sized Twinkie. In comparison, the current level of idiocracy would indicate that the Twinkie be 35 feet long and over 600 pounds. With power levels over nine thousand.

That's a pretty big Twinkie.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
6/13/12 1:03 p.m.
Derick Freese wrote: Let's pretend that the normal level of idiocracy is a normal sized Twinkie. In comparison, the current level of idiocracy would indicate that the Twinkie be 35 feet long and over 600 pounds. With power levels over nine thousand.

Intriguing. What is the normal power level of a Twinkie?

Don't forget this is an election year. It puts a hurt'n on intelligent conversations.

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
6/13/12 1:13 p.m.

I think one thing that keeps the GRM forums slightly more civil is many of us have some hope we'll actually meet in person at some magazine event.

aircooled
aircooled UberDork
6/13/12 1:33 p.m.
Derick Freese wrote: No, I have cable. I just get my news from the internet...

How about an AM radio?

Your mother smelt of Elderberries!

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
6/13/12 1:49 p.m.

I don’t want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries. Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time.

jrw1621
jrw1621 PowerDork
6/13/12 1:56 p.m.

...you silly English Kaa-nig-et (Knight)

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
6/13/12 2:13 p.m.
Derick Freese wrote: In reply to foxtrapper: I've experienced it before, but not on this magnitude. Let's pretend that the normal level of idiocracy is a normal sized Twinkie. In comparison, the current level of idiocracy would indicate that the Twinkie be 35 feet long and over 600 pounds. With power levels over nine thousand.

You just described a (very lightweight) sponge-cake Airstream camper trailer.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/13/12 2:39 p.m.

so what came first. The airstream or the Trinkie?

so.. is the 5 minute argument or the full course?

I came here for a good argument

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
6/13/12 2:55 p.m.

aircooled
aircooled UberDork
6/13/12 3:45 p.m.

All the really good thread regress to Pythonism

Now!.... no one is stoning anyone until I say so... even if they do say Jehovah...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LnbxP5vlEfmllF3RVf1cdJzFFzuwDgFUXlJbiqr2NlY1cV3R15MLcLSN5qM7RhYD