trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
3/8/17 9:08 a.m.

So I am between two different computers, Inspiron 15 Gaming Touch or Desktop The laptop has the 4k screen and a better video card. The desktop has the bigger hard drive (not a game changer for me) plan on using it for the occasional old race games GTR2, Rfactor, and Iracing and surfing the web. The laptop is $800 and the Desktop is $750, with discounts, I can't build one at that price.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/8/17 9:43 a.m.

The benchmarks say that the R9 360 is 50% better than the 960M. Until this latest Gen of Nvidia cards, the mobile units aren't the same as their desktop cousins. The 4k screen doesn't do you much good when the 960M will barely run most games at 30 fps at 4k, any of the higher end racing sims will drop below that quickly.

Also, if you are mainly gaming and surfing the web, you don't need an i7-6700. I vote build it yourself. If that isn't an option, buy a desktop with a different parts config to more optimize your budget.

If you want something mobile to surf the internet, buy a light weight, lower power laptop. You will vastly prefer it to lugging around a huge gaming laptop. A few pounds makes all the difference.

I will happily slap together a DIY system build for you based on your budget. There is a nifty site that has all the info you need and provides a purchase list.

trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
3/8/17 9:53 a.m.

With the current discounts The laptop is $800 and the Desktop is $750, even building it myself I couldn't find a better deal with all that is included.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
3/8/17 10:26 a.m.

I tell people to buy laptops now. The portability is worth it and you can still buy external monitor/kb/mouse

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/8/17 11:45 a.m.

That isn't a bad price on the laptop, the desktop is just an OK price. This is a performance question. The Desktop is better at gaming, hands down. The laptop is better at comfort, portability, etc... If you want the laptop, get that. It will be fine. You won't be able to crank the graphics settings up but it will do what you want it to.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
3/8/17 12:11 p.m.
singleslammer wrote: Also, if you are mainly gaming and surfing the web, you don't need an i7-6700. I vote build it yourself. If that isn't an option, buy a desktop with a different parts config to more optimize your budget.

This. If you are going to build it yourself, drop to an i5 and bump the video card up another notch. From a performance standpoint it will blow away the laptop.

http://www.logicalincrements.com/ recommends an i3 in that price range.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/8/17 1:02 p.m.

Honestly, the New G4560 intel is crazy good for single and dual core applications. That plus an RX480 4 gb would get you a killer rig for about $500. Another $80 for Windows. Done. Basically this, with a 480 which can be had for $150 at least one day a week. The solid state is a great thing but also not necessary. This PC will destroy the other two listed here in 95% of gaming situations.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/8/17 1:03 p.m.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/ is your friend. This will get you all the deals you can ever need for building a PC.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/8/17 3:51 p.m.

This is also a great place to pre-build your PC and source parts:

https://pcpartpicker.com/

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/8/17 3:52 p.m.

ohhhhhh I like this thread.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/9/17 8:03 a.m.

Here is a good package deal for a gaming desktop

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883101470&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=IGNEFL030917&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL030917--EMC-030917-Index--DesktopComputers-_-83101470-S1A5D&ignorebbr=1

This will obliterate the other two for basically every task. The only issue is the case... which is Unique

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
3/9/17 8:31 a.m.

I have a Dell XPS15 laptop as my work computer. I like it, other than the dumb things about Windows 10.

trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
3/9/17 9:33 a.m.

I ended up buying the laptop for portability

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/9/17 10:53 a.m.

and if you want more processor and less video card in a standard case...

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883101473

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/9/17 11:21 a.m.

I am currently building my own PC for my next computer, but it's also not going to be as cheap as the options above. I already have most everything ordered. I may have to do a build thread as I think it will turn out quite nicely. Building it to be capable of some decent video editing for me and my friend's side work endeavors.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry HalfDork
5/27/19 6:34 a.m.

Canoe components?

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
5/27/19 7:45 a.m.

zombie canoe torpedoed

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/28/19 6:11 a.m.
T.J. said:

I have a Dell XPS15 laptop as my work computer. I like it, other than the dumb things about Windows 10.

Two years later and I still like my Dell XPS15 for work. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
46WuS0cnSXwtq92uwzGuRxmCqfHXOW2CfZxRfbynolRvkKYWge2qCJdj7LRnGPno