alfadriver
alfadriver Reader
9/4/08 11:59 a.m.

Being that there are so many Michiganders on this board, I'm surprised that I'm the first to post this-

Kwame Kilpatrick is gone. http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080904/METRO/809040440

He admits he was guilty and has resigned.

Lots of other high ranking Detroit officials are following- Police Chief Ella Bully-Cummings is gone, and I'm sure more will follow, especially family members.

I wonder where Detroit will head now....

Eric

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/4/08 12:22 p.m.

No where but up ;)

It's okay, Aunt Jenny will get him a job in the Obama cabinet and all will be well ;) (issa joke people)

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
9/4/08 12:26 p.m.

blue sky after that one.

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
9/4/08 1:04 p.m.

I had a hard time believing he was reelected a couple years ago. Oh well.

captainzib
captainzib Reader
9/4/08 1:06 p.m.

Awesome, I was just talkin about this with a friend, but we've been actually busy with our jobs for a change, hence this is my first post of the day rather than being on here from the moment I get to work.

alfadriver
alfadriver Reader
9/4/08 5:09 p.m.

The more I think about it, I'm pretty sad for the city. Not that the Mayor didn't deserve what he got- but the fact that they have to go through all of this. Lots of distraction for a city that is really rebuilding from the core out.

Ines and I are becoming real fans of Detroit, and hope it's growth and development continue.

Eric

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/5/08 12:49 a.m.

Marion Barry said:I don't see why Kwame Kwit, maybe he can come back as a councilmen
alfadriver
alfadriver Reader
9/5/08 6:49 a.m.

After he serves his 120 days, then he has a 5 year wait. I'm sure we will see him back.

Again, I'm not sorry for Kwame. I'm sorry for the people of Detroit. They should not have had to be dragged through this...

There must be something in the water here in SE Michigan. Hype rarely matches up to reality- Tigers, Lions, Michigan Football (Go Blue), MSU Football, and the Mayor. Kinda sad.

E-

integraguy
integraguy Reader
9/5/08 8:17 a.m.

A story on this morning's Yahoo say Mr. Kilpatrick is already planning his come-back.

In the city I live in, a member of the city council was charged and convicted of taking bribes in the early '90s. After serving his time, he was re-elected and was recently charged and convicted of the SAME crime. Kilpatrick will be back because the idiots that voted for him will now see him as a "victim" of the man....the next best thing to being a martyr.

Kramer
Kramer New Reader
9/5/08 9:38 a.m.

Kwame will be re-elected by Detroit citizens in 2013. I won't be living in this area when it happens.

(Unless Tammy Green's family discovers what I really think happened. Then Kwame will move to Jackson for a long time.)

gamby
gamby SuperDork
9/5/08 10:35 a.m.

People from RI know about a somewhat similar situation.

Providence's infamous mayor Vincent "Buddy" Cianci resigned after pleading no-contest to assault charges (he beat the bag out of someone he thought his wife was cheating with). He ran a few years later and won handily.

Difference is, he did a helluva job running/revitalizing Providence. I don't know how Kwame did.

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing New Reader
9/5/08 10:40 a.m.

Hopefully this will trickle down and there will be mayor changes in other aspects of the city. Now it has the lowest High School graduation rate in the country at 25%. That's of 9th graders finishing high school, not accounting for those that never make it to 9th grade.

RXBeetle
RXBeetle New Reader
9/5/08 11:04 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: After he serves his 120 days, then he has a 5 year wait. I'm sure we will see him back.

A 5 year wait (while on probation), Mike Cox is going to be all over him for those 5 years and you know he will screw up. How long did he manage to stay out of jail while out on bond? Just because Kwame is gone doesn't mean his fun is over yet either, he appointed a lot of friends and family members to positions all over the city.

stumpmj
stumpmj Dork
9/8/08 1:28 p.m.

But I thought this whole thing was a political setup by those racists on the city council. The truth's still going to come out in the end. Right, Kwame?

jrw1621
jrw1621 Reader
9/8/08 2:13 p.m.

Kwame will find god.

Start a church (that's big business.)

And be back as a "reformed man" as soon as he can be elected.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0VzB6Hz2yYpUSLP6MHXKgCcXPXYiQOyjucsGKoKT5hoC9l2h9FmMXn7tEuyQ1f1y