1 2
clownkiller
clownkiller HalfDork
10/14/21 5:05 p.m.

May 2020 I was paying 1.699$ a gallon for diesel.  I just paid 3.299$ today. Metro Atlanta I have seen prices as high as 3.999$ a gallon. Prices have nearly doubled in less than a year. As they say: winter is coming.  With home heating oil being close to diesel I can only imagine what it will cost in February.  

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
10/14/21 5:19 p.m.

Have we tried asking the oil companies to lower the prices?  Maybe if we ask nicely.

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/14/21 5:24 p.m.
RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/14/21 5:29 p.m.

Just be glad you're not in California...$3.299 a gallon would be cause for celebration.

BTW, I didn't cherry pick...all the name brand stations in my area are charging this much.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/14/21 6:01 p.m.

You may have noticed it's not the only thing that has gotten more expensive.  Not likely to end soon.  Possibly never?  I suspect gas prices will come down a bit eventually, but it has to be shipped / transported also (see Where is All Your Stuff thread).  Oil prices do not seem terribly out of line, historically (a bit high for the last few years course):

Increase in diesel prices will of course generally make a lot of things more expensive (shipping).  Even shipping has to use diesel within 200 miles of the US (or is that just CA?).

In CA, we are still trying to figure out how everything as been expensive for a while now (see above post).....

clownkiller
clownkiller HalfDork
10/14/21 6:14 p.m.

Gas is at 3.099$ here today. I thought California would be over 5$ a gallon for diesel.  Winter is going to be expensive. Looks like Venezuela cant help this time. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/citgo-energy-bronx-assistance-idUSN1425588920071214

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/14/21 6:15 p.m.
aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/14/21 6:31 p.m.

I though this was pretty funny.   I was looking to see if diesel is above $5 anywhere in CA (btw, yes, $5.75 in Beverly Hills, but it's a pretty big outlier):

Basically, CA is out of range for their scale (I am pretty sure this is Regular gas prices).

clownkiller
clownkiller HalfDork
10/14/21 6:34 p.m.

My boys in the Athabasca oil sands in Alberta will start rolling again. Supply side will pick up when it is established. 

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/14/21 6:54 p.m.

The demand for gasoline and diesel is pretty constant, if not rising.  If the USA isn't buying it, somebody else is.

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
10/14/21 7:23 p.m.

In reply to clownkiller :

To be fair May of 2020 is a bit of an outlier for fuel prices.   Demand plummeted  in March and April and prices followed.   As with a lot of other current supply chain issues a lot of production stopped and may only be coming back on line.  Throw a couple of hurricanes rolling though the Gulf states, an overall shortage of truckers much less those with haz mat and tanker certification and here we are.  

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
10/14/21 8:37 p.m.

CJ (FS)
CJ (FS) GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/14/21 9:25 p.m.

In April, 2020,  the price for West Texas Intermediate crude at Cushing, Oklahoma, was -$37.  Essentially, they couldn't give it away and had nowhere to store it - all because of near zero demand due to the pandemic.  In September, 2021, the same oil was $71.65. 

Countries all over the world are seeing demand for energy soaring and prices are spiking.   I saw a Chinese worker interviewed last night who said essentially the same thing as clownkiller, not that it makes it better.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/14/21 11:51 p.m.
11GTCS said:

To be fair May of 2020 is a bit of an outlier for fuel prices.   Demand plummeted  in March and April and prices followed.   As with a lot of other current supply chain issues a lot of production stopped and may only be coming back on line.  Throw a couple of hurricanes rolling though the Gulf states, an overall shortage of truckers much less those with haz mat and tanker certification and here we are.  

This.

Comparing to May 2020 is kind of disengenuous because, at that time, oil was trading at negative dollars a barrel.  You literally had to pay to give it away.

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/14/21 11:55 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Now that I have looked that up I will give it a thumbs up as is appropriate. 

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/15/21 1:31 a.m.

I think I hear the cement truck backing up...

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
10/15/21 6:02 a.m.

Typical short sighted nonsense. I'm sure you took the May 2020 picture because prices were exceptionally low. So don't act like that price was normal.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/15/21 7:00 a.m.
dculberson said:

Typical short sighted nonsense. I'm sure you took the May 2020 picture because prices were exceptionally low. So don't act like that price was normal.

But you included a meaningful graph!.  You are supposed to cut out the part that doesn't support the argument.

logdog (Forum Supporter)
logdog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/15/21 7:27 a.m.

I remember when fuel was just a nickle, now in those days nickles had pictures of bumblebees on 'em.  Give me 5 bees for a quarter you'd say.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/15/21 8:01 a.m.

Must be nice to live somewhere with a sub 60 cents/gallon fuel tax. 

Fuel prices starting with a $1? Not since the early 2000s here, at least not without a butt load of gas points from the grocery store. 

I'm scared of how much fuel oil is going to cost this winter. $2500 last winter, and prices are already 50% higher than they were with no relief in sight.

clownkiller
clownkiller HalfDork
10/15/21 8:46 a.m.
dculberson said:

It was normal for a few months. Here is one from April 2020. The diesel price jumped to 2.169$ a gallon in June 2020. We will see a doubling of prices by February 2022. That's not normal.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/15/21 9:18 a.m.

Not a lot of normal in the last year and a half.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/15/21 9:26 a.m.

The fuel prices were certainly not normal in the first few months of 2020.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/15/21 9:43 a.m.
dculberson said:

This graph brings back some memories. None them are really relevant to this thread but in the tradition of the internet I'm going to share them anyway.

Notice  that prices were pretty steady until around '98-'99.  That when I bought my first diesel pickup truck.  I'd wanted one forever and as soon as I could afford one fuel prices started to climb.

When fuel prices first when over $2.00 a gallon in Upstate, NY it caused a lot of problems for the stations because up till that point the 1 in the fuel price was painted on the pump in the price window.  Most stations bought new pumps but some tried setting the pump at half price with a note saying that you had to pay double the pump price.  The state didn't care for that practice and shut it down pretty quickly.  Some small stations just closed because they couldn't afford to replace the pumps.

See that spike in 2005?  That was from Hurricane Katrina.  I was in Louisville, KY, on business, 840 miles from home when the storm hit and overnight fuel prices went through the roof.  Some stations had prices set at the maximum that the pumps would allow.  It cost me almost $400.00 to fill up the tank in my pickup truck so I could start back home.  Fortunately for me the prices got more reasonable as I went further east.  Fortunately for the country, they went back down for a bit before again starting their steady climb.

When fuel prices are high the most immediate annoyance for me is that a lot of stations have dollar limit on their pumps and they'll shut off at some arbitrary limit so I can't fill the tank.

STM317
STM317 UberDork
10/15/21 10:01 a.m.

It's not just a US or North America thing. Energy prices are way up across the globe.

Fuels, Natural gas, coal, etc are all multiples higher than they were in recent past and in some cases are at or near all time highs

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
a3aaJQn5o1TM5GKZExVzRnKOLiUuRQ6NI7621BSd9PFM6ZxUyNljFLvyI0tzT56G