singlemalt76
singlemalt76 New Reader
8/2/11 10:37 p.m.

I thought maybe some of my fellow GRMer's might appreciate this. My dad races dirt late models and this past weekend there was a Lucas Oil race in the neighborhood so I zip tied my flip camera to the roll bar. It shut off after a couple of laps but it turned out way better than I expected.

In car video

nderwater
nderwater Dork
8/2/11 10:46 p.m.

That's pretty crazy!

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
8/2/11 10:58 p.m.

Sweet! I wish it had lasted through the feature, I was just getting curious about whether he could get it hooked up on that low line.

singlemalt76
singlemalt76 New Reader
8/2/11 11:27 p.m.

In reply to friedgreencorrado:

Sadly no. Low, middle or high no could do. That was actually just one of the heat races and we didn't get qualified.

fasted58
fasted58 Dork
8/2/11 11:28 p.m.

great video

wow, some of you guys are so damn lucky to have a racer dad. My dad isn't even a car guy and his only affinity for dirt is in the garden.

motomoron
motomoron HalfDork
8/3/11 11:24 a.m.

Holy crap! That's a not-terribly expensive SBC that's getting revved to like 9 grand? I want to do this!

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
8/3/11 10:41 p.m.
singlemalt76 wrote: In reply to friedgreencorrado: Sadly no. Low, middle or high no could do. That was actually just one of the heat races and we didn't get qualified.

Damn, hate to hear it dude. Updates throughout the season will be welcomed..especially if you have more video to go with it!

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon Reader
8/3/11 10:59 p.m.

You cannot beat dirt racing, for wheel to wheel action and bang for the buck. Your standard "entry level" late model is really not that expensive.

More please!

fasted58
fasted58 Dork
8/3/11 11:05 p.m.

So how much dinero is goin' in entry level to competitive SBC late model engines these days?

singlemalt76
singlemalt76 New Reader
8/5/11 8:19 p.m.

In reply to fasted58:

Well that all depends. As usual it's a matter of how fast you want to go. I've heard of a class called crate models that use crate engines that go for $4000-5000. The late model sportsmans in my area mostly use pro built engines in the $10,000 to 15,000 (new) range and then you get into the super late models $20,000 to 30,000+ (new).

Zomby woof
Zomby woof SuperDork
8/5/11 8:41 p.m.
BoostedBrandon wrote: You cannot beat dirt racing, for wheel to wheel action and bang for the buck. Your standard "entry level" late model is really not that expensive. More please!

You got that right. It made me smile watching. I miss racing on the dirt.

We have a DIRT sportsman class that runs a GM crate motor with 6000 RPM rev limiter. I think they make a little more than 300 hp, and it's a very fast, and very competitive class.

Zomby woof
Zomby woof SuperDork
8/5/11 8:46 p.m.

DIRT sportsman

I was there that night. This guy has the rev limiter and gearing figured out better them most

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DfuDZql8O9GRQo8KqttNEidZKmiTR74mv6WuqyBG1YdN7x6vbWnQGv6itVioKDer