Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/6/20 8:52 a.m.

2 year old maytag all stainless not cheap dishwasher.  Been using the same powdered soap since new.  Last few months the glasses on the top rack always end up with this residue inside. Without fail every load every glass or mug and sometimes bowls

is there some filter or something that needs changed?  I've run vinegar through it and sometimes it makes it better sometimes it doesn't 

upgraded grosh impacts ground water mineral content.  gotta tear it down and go back to working under an EZ-Up.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/6/20 9:00 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

upgraded grosh impacts ground water mineral content.  gotta tear it down and go back to working under an EZ-Up.

Can someone translate this for me? :)

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/6/20 9:07 a.m.

You might try taking apart all the water transmission parts and cleaning them out by jetting a hose stream through them backwards.

Sometimes those parts get clogged with gunk.   Some of the rotating spray arms can be taken apart and cleaned.

Also there is usually a fine mesh stainless steel filter at the water intake for the internal pump that can be taken out and cleaned.   This is the usual clogged area. The parts just pull or twist out.  

A lot depends upon how well you scrape off food debris on items before putting them into the washer.   Cheese residue is one of the worst with cake icing a close second.

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
EvanB (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/6/20 9:08 a.m.
z31maniac said:
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

Can someone translate this for me? :)

One Pat is jealous of the other Pat's new shop. Makes a feeble attempt to get him to tear it down by blaming dishwasher problems on it. 

Toyman01 (Forum Supporter)
Toyman01 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/6/20 9:35 a.m.

Ours does that if something too tall is loaded in the bottom rack. It stops the sprayer for the top rack from spinning. 

It will also do that if the filter in the bottom of the unit is stopped up. Ours has a strainer and then another filter below that. Pull them and clean them.

ThurdFerguson (Freeloader)
ThurdFerguson (Freeloader) Reader
5/6/20 9:40 a.m.

Are you also using rinse aid?  Newer detergents don't have phosphorous and need that rinse aid.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
5/6/20 10:03 a.m.

Different/easy option, make sure your garbage disposal is cleaned out/run prior to washing dishes.  I get that sometimes when there's food in the disposal and I haven't run it because the dishwasher drain runs through it and can pull food back into the dishwasher.

-Rob

5/6/20 10:08 a.m.

Use vinegar in the rinse aid and have for years.  No garbage disposal, don't believe in them(we compost everything).  I generally scrape and rinse everything before putting it in the dishwasher.  I'll try to find the inlet screen and see what's up there.  

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/6/20 10:09 a.m.

In reply to Patrick (Forum Supporter) :

Do you have a filter on the water line coming into the house?

5/6/20 10:46 a.m.

Got it apart, filter is gross and not serviceable.  All the powder E36 M3 on the glasses is inside the mesh.  Ordered new filter and cleaned out the strainer.  I mostly hand wash anyway because if i'm rinsing i may as well just clean them.  

No whole house filter, our water is city of Cleveland municipal water and is really clean coming in.  Never had any issues with sediments or anything.  

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/6/20 11:30 a.m.

First time I really ever thought about 'Cleveland' and 'really clean' in the same sentence. I usually just associate Cleveland with Howard the Duck and World B. Free.

wink

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
5/6/20 11:36 a.m.

Been fighting this issue for two years and never got around to doing anythin until the other day. We ran an empty cycle with CLR. It helped, but we're still getting a film. I'd suggest giving it a try first. My next step is to pull the filters and clean them. I haven't gotten a water softener yet and that is part of the issue.

I didn't think it was possible for a midwestern city to have clean, sediment-free water, but maybe they're pumping it out of the lake up there?

dculberson (Forum Supporter)
dculberson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/6/20 8:03 p.m.

I don't rinse my dishes at all. As in, unless there's something serious to deal with, scrape the bulk food into the compost and put the dish in the dishwasher. Anything more and I'd be pissed at the dishwasher. I have a Bosch, but I'm sure there are plenty of them capable of that. Mine has a fine stainless screen and a coarse stainless screen, both cleanable. 10 years or so old, and it's still going strong though I did have to disassemble and clean out the overflow protection float this year.

5/7/20 7:59 p.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

I didn't think it was possible for a midwestern city to have clean, sediment-free water, but maybe they're pumping it out of the lake up there?

We have lake erie water, and thanks to the great lakes restoration project it's pretty darn good.  Not much south though it switches to non lake water, and everything about it including the taste is different.  

HopmanJones
HopmanJones New Reader
5/7/20 8:47 p.m.

I have a Bosch that has been giving me the same problems over the last couple of weeks as well. People have hit a lot of the major points already, but I will say that when I bought mine they warned me not to put in too much detergent in the cup - only fill it about 1/2. Otherwise suds will build up at the bottom of the dishwasher and the debris will float in it and get reintroduced to the dishes. Not sure if that's true, but I use a minimal amount of detergent and it seems to still work.

I just bought a three pack of Finish Dishwasher Cleaner "pods" that you throw into the bottom of the dishwasher when you run it. I've only used one pod so far but there was already a huge improvement, in that there were only 3 cups that had a tiny bit of residue vs almost all of them.

I'm still going to take everything apart and give it a good cleaning, but that dishwasher cleaner might be worth trying. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/7/20 9:48 p.m.

Can you post a picture of the filter screen you found? I have the same problem and curious where to start looking. 

jgrewe
jgrewe Reader
5/7/20 11:07 p.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

We have lake erie water, and thanks to the great lakes restoration project it's pretty darn good.  Not much south though it switches to non lake water, and everything about it including the taste is different.  

The clean lake is from the zebra mussels more than anything else since the 80's. Each one of those buggers will filter over a gallon of water a day. They were clogging up the water intakes for all the major cities until they started injecting some of the chlorine used for treatment out at the intakes.  Once they did that the intakes were flowing better than they had since they were new.

I remember when Lake Erie looked too thick to boat on and too thin to farm.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Q7xcvfsINfMrQOiY47GpEXwXnmpBFI3Urid0tTTAPXfLQaGSRSGXm782bLhxAu0N