1 2
Cole_Trickle
Cole_Trickle Reader
5/22/12 1:18 p.m.

That you lived in a different time?

I think that I would fit in great in middle America in the 1950's. I guess that time frame just appeals to me. As a child in the 80's and a youngish adult now, I just dont like all the BS and red tape of todays times. I guess back then I would have to deal with McCarthyism and such...

When would you want to live?

z31maniac
z31maniac UberDork
5/22/12 1:23 p.m.

It's romantic to think about the "Old West" but it was a darn hard life.

I like this time period just fine (I'm 30)

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
5/22/12 1:26 p.m.

I grew up in the '70's, which were the last hurrah of the non nanny state and just before the rise of the safety Nazis. Kids still got out and did things, we were outside from dawn till dusk instead of playing video games all day. I don't think I would trade that for the here and now, which is now all about virtual reality this and digital experience that.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UberDork
5/22/12 1:28 p.m.

I'm happy where I am, but I often times find myself wearing outfits from other eras.

ThePhranc
ThePhranc HalfDork
5/22/12 1:30 p.m.

Late 60s UK.

Ska

Skinheads ( real ones not the media hyped BS white power chumps)

Style

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver SuperDork
5/22/12 1:43 p.m.

I could see myself being a blacksmith in the 1880s.

RossD
RossD UltraDork
5/22/12 1:44 p.m.

I am content.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Dork
5/22/12 1:47 p.m.

I like indoor plumbing, darn it.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/22/12 1:49 p.m.

I'd dig the heck out of being in the 70's.

But if there were half a chance of that happening I'd probably back down. Never meet your heroes as they say.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/22/12 1:50 p.m.

Modern technology (like the Internet, handheld computers (AKA BETTER THAN A POCKET LIBRARY) and the most grippy tires in history) and reduced backwardness always seem like too much to give up, I wouldn't say I wish I lived in a different time...but the times I daydream about sometimes are:

'70s/'80s - best cars, cheap gas, good music until the scourge of '80s synthpop, still possible to innovate in your garage - I said innovate, not make some stupid social media time-waster. Also I think the women may have been cuter. Cracked thinks so.

Early 1900s-1930s, specifically for the racing - Now this was a downright awful time to live in, and the cars were horrible deathtraps, but being a race car driver in this time was like being an astronaut in the '60s. Everything was bleeding edge, breaking new ground, untested technology, and you were on the tip of the spear. In a way it must have been more exciting than today's F1.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
5/22/12 1:55 p.m.

It would be fun to be a panel beater working in a coachworks where cars are hand made....of course, we don't have to live in the past to do that. You could always apply to work at Morgan or work for the Delays in California.

I'll stick with doing that as a hobby....I'm not sure many people would pay for my handiwork.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UberDork
5/22/12 1:59 p.m.

Yea. Indoor plumbing, air conditioning, 24 hour drive throughs, atms. Don't really want to give those things up.

Sure, I find various times and things of the past fascinating. Enjoy reinactments just for that. But do I really want to commit to living it? No.

So I'll oh and ah old warbirds, know how to knap flint into knives, and sleep clean and comfy in a modern bed.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/22/12 2:01 p.m.

Slavery, indentured servitude, rule by the throne or pulpit, inequality between sexes, lack of sanitation...no thanks. History can stay where it is.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
5/22/12 2:01 p.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: I grew up in the '70's, which were the last hurrah of the non nanny state and just before the rise of the safety Nazis. Kids still got out and did things, we were outside from dawn till dusk instead of playing video games all day.

I was outside playing from dusk until dawn when I was a kid in the '90s.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
5/22/12 2:04 p.m.

considering the surgery that saves a premature fetus born with an omphalocele wasnt around until just a few months before I was born 7 weeks premature with an omphalocele, Id say Im reasonably happy with the time period in which I was birthed

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
5/22/12 2:05 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote: I grew up in the '70's, which were the last hurrah of the non nanny state and just before the rise of the safety Nazis. Kids still got out and did things, we were outside from dawn till dusk instead of playing video games all day.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy SuperDork
5/22/12 2:11 p.m.
JoeyM wrote:

I haven't watched this, but it looks so incredibly awesome I am dl'ing it tonight. Love Tarantino!

Salanis
Salanis PowerDork
5/22/12 2:27 p.m.

Went to a medical history museum the other week.

I'm very happy to be living in the modern era. If I had to go back... eh... the boom of the 1990's was pretty good.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox SuperDork
5/22/12 2:32 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: considering the surgery that saves a premature fetus born with an omphalocele wasnt around until just a few months before I was born 7 weeks premature with an omphalocele, Id say Im reasonably happy with the time period in which I was birthed

Yeah, stuff like this makes now the best time ever.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
5/22/12 2:33 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote:
JoeyM wrote:
I haven't watched this, but it looks so incredibly awesome I am dl'ing it tonight. Love Tarantino!

Its beyond awesome...some of his best work

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox SuperDork
5/22/12 2:34 p.m.

And kids played outside in the '70s because they had nothing else to do. All it took was the invention of Pong to kill that lifestyle.

z31maniac
z31maniac UberDork
5/22/12 2:35 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote:

This, in the 80s and 90s.

But Oklahoma is a bit different.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
5/22/12 2:39 p.m.

I was riding BMX until it was too dark to see outside up until the early 2000s...I was born in 1980, so...yeah...outside, as a minor, until the streetlights had been on for an hour, in the latter 75% of the 90s, in SW Ohio

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
5/22/12 2:48 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote:
JoeyM wrote:

I love Selma Hayek

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
5/22/12 2:48 p.m.

I'm sure there are still kids who get outside, but I swear I don't see them any more.

I read somewhere that when one of the Egyptian mummies was examined and X rayed, they saw that the teeth were badly worn so that it was very possible there were exposed nerve endings. That must have been miserable. It was attributed to the real stone ground wheat which, of course, left real stone in the flour. So not all progress is bad by any means.

It also makes me look askance at the 'stone ground wheat bread' I see in the stores sometimes. Mmmm... maybe I'll leave it right where it is.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Birthdays
Our Preferred Partners
mCkF46UOY79soBXhDDDt9lDshYnZD3Xttazjknh3ktE0m4FsrxrI2xhX5aFs9En2