1 2 3
Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
10/21/14 7:36 a.m.

Just a reminder to Vote. November 4th is right around the corner and multiple states have early voting either already going or starting soon.

Get informed and vote!

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
10/21/14 8:08 a.m.

I just wish there were candidates worthy of my vote either party

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/21/14 8:09 a.m.

When will a Miata run for office so we have an easy answer on who to for for?

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
10/21/14 8:19 a.m.

Haha a Miata would be an awesome candidate.

Smaller government, gender equality, LGBT rights, fuel efficiency standards, ridiculous value of senior citizens and technology equipped younger generation, fun, lots and lots of fun.

Don't forget, the Candidate Miata would also accept a healthy dose of American muscle to make all of its traits even better while being a more powerful speaker.

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
10/21/14 8:25 a.m.

Early and often, baby!!!

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
10/21/14 8:26 a.m.

The best part is all the stupid political ads on TV will go away for a while.

It would be refreshing to hear an ad for a candidate that talked about what they would do if elected, rather than how evil their opponent is.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
10/21/14 8:36 a.m.
stuart in mn wrote: It would be refreshing to hear an ad for a candidate that talked about what they would do if elected, rather than how evil their opponent is.

That would imply that they have a plan beyond:

1) Get elected
2) ???
3) Profit!

bludroptop
bludroptop UltraDork
10/21/14 8:36 a.m.
stuart in mn wrote: The best part is all the stupid political ads on TV will go away for a while.

Did someone say "stupid political ads"?

Give us your cash, B**ch (mildly NSFW)

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
10/21/14 8:44 a.m.

I thought this was a Civic thread, but clearly it is a Miata thread.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/21/14 8:50 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
stuart in mn wrote: It would be refreshing to hear an ad for a candidate that talked about what they would do if elected, rather than how evil their opponent is.
That would imply that they have a plan beyond: 1) Get elected 2) ??? 3) Profit!

4) Return to Step 1

The_Jed
The_Jed UltraDork
10/21/14 8:53 a.m.
wbjones wrote: I just wish there were candidates worthy of my vote either party

I've been reading about the race for Illinois governor in the paper on a daily basis at work. ^ This. ^ Proof that you can lie, cheat, steal and/or buy your way into a bid for election.

None of the berkeleying above, bastards.

Johnboyjjb
Johnboyjjb Reader
10/21/14 9:46 a.m.

Vote for Honest Gil

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
10/21/14 10:04 a.m.
stuart in mn wrote: The best part is all the stupid political ads on TV will go away for a while. It would be refreshing to hear an ad for a candidate that talked about what they would do if elected, rather than how evil their opponent is.

if there were a candidate out there that ONLY talked about what they would/will do, what they stand for … they'd get my vote … without regard for their politics … couldn't care less if they matched mine or not …

as soon as you start talking about your opponents, you lose my interest … especially when it's easy enough to figure out that, while some of what you're saying is/could be true… you're really stretching/mis-representing your opponent

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
10/21/14 10:06 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
4) Return to Step 1

yep … my cynical opinion … politicians that get elected have figured out that they really have only one job …

and that is to get re-elected

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
10/21/14 10:38 a.m.

If you listen to the adds, all of them are crooks.

Of course we already know that.

I get a kick out of he/she is going to lower taxes.

As a party of one.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/21/14 10:42 a.m.

…decisions, decisions

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
10/21/14 10:54 a.m.

It's gotten bad enough that I will not vote in one of my senate races. Nobody deserves my vote there, but I will be voting for other folks.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
10/21/14 11:04 a.m.

The race for FL governor is the worst. It seems ALL of the ads are nasty attack ads. Neither of the candidates are talking about what they would do to improve things-----instead they are just slinging nasty insults at one another. It's like watching two monkeys at the zoo throwing poo at each other. Although the monkeys are probably more intelligent.

Niether will get my vote. Sometime people need to be reminded that there are more than two parties. The more folks vote for a third choice---- the less of a stranglehold the two-party system will have on us.

That's my hope at least....

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/21/14 11:11 a.m.

Vote for GoodSpaceGuy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodspaceguy

Yes.. He is a real canidate.

No he's never won.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
10/21/14 11:11 a.m.

that is exactly what NC's senate race is … both are DB's

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/21/14 11:28 a.m.
wbjones wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote:
4) Return to Step 1
yep … my cynical opinion … politicians that get elected have figured out that they really have only one job … and that is to get re-elected

I think it's John Sandford who explains politics in a similar way - politicians know they will never have a better job, so they do whatever they can to keep it. Canada had an accidental interesting experiment a couple of years back, one of the parties imploded and a bunch of young non-politicians running for the NDP got elected and ended up as the official opposition. Quite a surprise to some of them. I think it's been working out.
http://www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa/when-ndp-mps-decide-political-life-isnt-for-them/

There's actually a guy running locally who is doing exactly what we want politicians to do - he's campaigning on his plans, what he wants to do, what his goals are. Nothing about his opponents. I know he's got Janel's vote. Me, I enjoy asking the telemarketers how they feel about allowing immigrants to vote, then mentioning that I'm a Canadian citizen with a green card. Gets them all tied up in their stereotypes.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
10/21/14 11:38 a.m.

Gah! No offense to you, but this attitude drives me nuts! In many cases there are Independent candidates, or Libertarian Party candidates, or whatever, even a write-in. If enough people vote for candidates outside the two-party charade, maybe we can initiate some much-needed change!

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
10/21/14 11:43 a.m.
1988RedT2 wrote:
Gah! No offense to you, but this attitude drives me nuts! In many cases there are Independent candidates, or Libertarian Party candidates, or whatever, even a write-in. If enough people vote for candidates outside the two-party charade, maybe we can initiate some much-needed change!

My third party guy is a convicted felon and reality tv star. He was in politics in this state before and left because if the whole "felon" thing.

ThunderCougarFalconGoat
ThunderCougarFalconGoat Reader
10/21/14 11:51 a.m.

In reply to tuna55:

So the only difference between him and the others running is he got caught?

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/21/14 11:53 a.m.

Nearly a whole page of civilized political discussion and not a single mention of one of the best post political holidays? Don't forget folks, November 5th is coroplast day!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Pq1uCsRZApK4ryh1o3w2qyi4GHqda6Yz8PaEhlFm1XZc0jqLwJRerzElcwStRgOo