1 2
tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
4/25/22 3:18 p.m.
John Welsh said:

We have a family friend with the Husq robot mower thing like a Roomba vacuum.  Its cool to see it out there every day make fresh lines and really small cuts.   Not cheap but his is backed by home service and set up.  

They are cheaper today than many ride-ons. I am not kidding, when my rider is done I am buying one.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/25/22 3:33 p.m.

My big fear with one of the Roomba things would be someone jumping out of their car, grabbing it, and taking off. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
4/25/22 3:38 p.m.
mtn said:

My big fear with one of the Roomba things would be someone jumping out of their car, grabbing it, and taking off. 

They have all manner of security controls. The local dealer guy said they had one stolen of all of his customers, and the police recovered it the same day due to the tracker. They don't work, apparently, without being at the house it was installed.

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/25/22 4:02 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

I am thinking the same thing. I could at least do the larger area that I ride right now and spend 30 minutes pushing the front if I bought one.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/25/22 5:12 p.m.

Honestly, skip the new stuff.  None of the plastic-axle, stamped-steel junk for under $4k is worth a darn.  If you want new and good, you need to take the big wallet.  Kubota and Mahindra are just about the only ones left who actually make their own stuff in this category.  JD still makes most of theirs, but are starting to outsource their power.  The rest are assemblers.  They have someone else make some stamped steel parts and they put a Kohler engine in it and their name tag on it.

I have a Wheel Horse from the 80s and a Bolens from the 70s.  They both run, cut, drag, and function as designed.  The Wheel Horse was $300 from craigslist and the Bolens was $350 at a yard sale.  Cast iron chunks of tool-ness.  I also have a JD 322 that my family has owned since new.  The hour meter broke at something like 11,000 hours and that was at least 10 years ago.  My nephew used it for four years with his landscaping business so for that time period it cut much of the day, and 6 days a week.  I would love to know how many hours are actually on it.  I've replaced spark plugs and a radiator on that one.  Original mower blades, but they're getting pretty thin after all the sharpening.

The other added bonus is that the older you go, the fewer nannies they have.  I'm all for safety, but do I really need to apply the brake to engage the starter when there is already a neutral safety switch on the hydrostat?  Do I really need a safety that kills the mower deck in reverse unless I hold another switch?  (Ironically, a switch that makes it difficult to turn around and watch behind me while backing up with the blades spinning).

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/10/22 7:12 p.m.

Rev said "I'm sick of old used E36 M3, I want something new with a warranty"

Also rev "looky what I just bought"

1978 cub cadet international 1250. With a deck and tiller, and brands new belts all around.

It's being delivered tomorrow or the next day. He wouldn't let me bring it home until he gives it a full tune up. Owns, and is trying to sell, an old dealer/repair center. 

Runs great as is, I took it for a spin tonight, but I won't argue with a tune up.

5/10/22 7:32 p.m.

I'm emotionally erect.  That is an iron workhorse, man.  Nice score.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/10/22 7:51 p.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

Dumb luck, honest. After I went to the cub dealer yesterday and was told "Maybe by fall" I hopped on CL. This guy was 20 minutes from my house. I called last night "I'll give you $1300 if you can deliver it to me this week, I don't have a trailerand it's too tall to fit in my excursion" he told me to come out today and look it over and let him give it a tune up. Wouldn't even take a deposit, just a handshake, says he'll be able to deliver it tomorrow or Thursday at the latest. 

I looked at a similar model in much worse shape last year for DOUBLE this, plus another grand for the tiller. For mowers locally right now (hour each way) there's crap advertising it needs rebuilt like my craftsman for $500 and stuff like this or bigger starting at $4k, so really dumb luck and good timing on my part. 

I've missed my old IH1000s since we traded then for my grandfather's Deere in 02-03. Worst trade ever. 

5/10/22 8:14 p.m.

Glad you found what you need.  You'll love that cultivator if you have a need for it.  You can probably sell it if you don't need it.  It's one of those things that there isn't a huge demand for them, but the right person who needs one will pay good money for it.

Get familiar with ytmag.com.  Yesterday's Tractors magazine's website and forum.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dzJu2IKF6yRfv9E8vyIgfMAuJ7arWu6SBz5QCPDh4IjJHwS2s88FT9EwRVqwXfSn