1 2
dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/7/10 9:30 p.m.

Thanks for the thoughts folks. I guess I'll start with my Dremel and see how it works!

rebelgtp
rebelgtp Dork
7/7/10 10:03 p.m.

just be careful with an actual Dremel they are normally a bit louder and can freak the dog out with the sound. Also a corded one can be kind of a pain. I use to use a cordless Dremel all the time, though now I only have a corded one. I ended up buying an Oster nail trimmer, basically like the rotary trimmer shown above but battery powered and it works great much better than the "as seen on TV" ones.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
7/7/10 11:28 p.m.

Use the guillotine type and do it weekly. Do it with the dog standing and the leg bent bent under the body as if the dog has just lifted or tucked its leg. Trim perpendicular to the nail and cut just slightly into the part where flesh fills the nail. You have a little leeway with this part. Too long and you miss the opportunity to trim as much as possible. Too short and you get a drop or two of blood and the dog is a little hesitant about the next nail but not really freaked out. Combine the weekly routine with regular jogs on pavement and the nails will be in shape quickly.

TucoRamirez
TucoRamirez Reader
7/8/10 1:01 p.m.

With the guillotine, I shave/nibble off a little bit at a time instead of taking one big crunch. My dog tolerates it, barely, but he tries to return the favor by trying to chew my nails while I'm triming his.

dyintorace
7/8/10 5:13 p.m.

Thanks for the additional thoughts.

rebelgtp wrote: I ended up buying an Oster nail trimmer, basically like the rotary trimmer shown above but battery powered and it works great much better than the "as seen on TV" ones.

RGTP, where did you buy the Oster version?

dyintorace
7/8/10 6:04 p.m.
racinginc215 wrote: I'll vote for the dremel but I want video of that Dane kicking your ass when you come at with a buzzing power tool. Guillotine cutter here for 5 dogs.

I'll be sure to film it!

dyintorace
7/13/10 2:00 p.m.

So I didn't film it, but the process was fantastic! I bought a cordless dremel at Petsmart (see below), charged it up and went to town. I waited until the end of a long walk when he would be tired and got started. He did not react at all and the results were simply awesome.

Thanks for all of the recommendations!

Buzz Killington
Buzz Killington HalfDork
7/13/10 8:37 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote: Too short and you get a drop or two of blood and the dog is a little hesitant about the next nail but not really freaked out.

or if you have my dog, it sounds like you are hanging her by that toenail instead of clipping it.

drama. queen.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hIMHScc8CMe7VhNx5JWeDhUkzu0WbIZJKeLbPDxwlTkVJsg3B2h5dnJc9h7CLBSU