1 2 3
Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel HalfDork
9/12/12 8:20 a.m.

The answer, of course, is "Impala," but that would be a threadjack.

Suppose we phrase the question this way: What other RWD car BUILT IN THE LAST FIFTEEN YEARS goes from service as a police unit, to auction, then another lifetime as a taxi?

P71 FTW.

Racer1ab
Racer1ab HalfDork
9/15/12 9:28 a.m.
The_Jed wrote: I do have one question, though. When I floored it at 50 mph there wasn't a noticeable kick down as it dropped into a lower gear. The revs climbed quickly and there was a steady, smooth increase in acceleration but no perceptible gear change. It felt almost like a slowly spooling turbo. Is this normal? I don't want to pull the trigger on it then replace the transmission in a few months. (I've had that happen in an old Sonata...not cool.)

I didn't think about this at the time, but it's easily explainable. The Vic's transmission is a 4-speed auto with OD. At 50, you're already in 4th and if it's in OD, flooring it will just take it out of overdrive and let the revs climb.

I just happened to do it the other day, and this jogged my memory.

Will
Will Dork
9/15/12 10:22 a.m.
Racer1ab wrote:
The_Jed wrote: I do have one question, though. When I floored it at 50 mph there wasn't a noticeable kick down as it dropped into a lower gear. The revs climbed quickly and there was a steady, smooth increase in acceleration but no perceptible gear change. It felt almost like a slowly spooling turbo. Is this normal? I don't want to pull the trigger on it then replace the transmission in a few months. (I've had that happen in an old Sonata...not cool.)
I didn't think about this at the time, but it's easily explainable. The Vic's transmission is a 4-speed auto with OD. At 50, you're already in 4th and if it's in OD, flooring it will just take it out of overdrive and let the revs climb. I just happened to do it the other day, and this jogged my memory.

Err, the 4R70W's fourth gear is an overdrive gear. If you're in fourth, you're in overdrive. I think you're describing torque converter lockup.

The_Jed
The_Jed HalfDork
9/16/12 3:14 p.m.

So much for a P71, I snagged an '87 LSC today.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
60J2kk5pLOtyKK4QIP8KwBpghDVsH8kD5ISWbayCXCq7ttsq7abOPQmQakdfMUJl