wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/1/24 5:08 p.m.

So, what's going on with this?

I am near Charleston, Sc and its all over the news.

Anybody have a good source of actual info?  All I can find is stuff that says the sky is falling and we won't be ever able to get butt wiping paper again.

My good friend is a part time dock worker and even he is in the dark about what's happening.

Whatchu got?

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/1/24 5:10 p.m.

The west coast is open and most of our crap we buy on Amazon comes from there.  

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/1/24 5:12 p.m.

Wait, the strike is on the east coast? Then what is my wife's company freaking out about? 90% of the stuff that goes through their warehouse comes in through port of Los Angeles or Long Beach. 

But they held a meeting today to remind everyone that every day of a strike puts them 3-5 days behind schedule as far as moving merchandise around the country goes.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
10/1/24 5:13 p.m.

Based upon a great deal of reading and extensive research, as near as I can tell the sky is falling and we won't ever be able to get butt wiping paper again.

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
10/1/24 5:15 p.m.

This union leader is more of a character than the UAW union leader we had to listen to forever.  

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/1/24 5:19 p.m.

The report I heard this morning was that the union wants a 75% pay increase over the next 6 years, while the port management is only willing to provide a 50% increase in pay over the same time period. Also there is discussion about limiting the use of automation to replace workers.

Fueled by Caffeine
10/1/24 5:44 p.m.

I saw some limited things that says the east coast ports are equipment heavy and food heavy.  Like 76% of our bananas come through there. 

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/1/24 5:56 p.m.

USMX said in a statement that: "Our current offer of a nearly 50% wage increase exceeds every other recent union settlement, while addressing inflation and recognizing the ILA’s hard work to keep the global economy running."

Daggett said the union is pushing for more, including a $5 per hour raise for each year of the new six-year contract.

This shows that yet again, I am in the wrong line of work.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/1/24 6:51 p.m.

Not related, but there's a copper sheet shortage on the West Coast. I wonder what that's due to?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/1/24 6:54 p.m.

In reply to Noddaz :

Hard to tell if you are or not.  When I looked at salaries- one hiring site has them peak below $50k/year, another the peak is $75k, but there are a lot complaining about $150k.  Given the complaining doesn't seem to have data, and a $30/hr raise is 76%, then they make ~$40/hr now.  

$40/hr is almost $77k/year.  And $70/hr is $134k/year.

$40/hr matches the senior wages of one of the sites I saw.

I wonder if the big deal about the 50% over 6 years is more about automation than not- or at least some other clause in the deal being offered.  

We have to bear in mind that the news we get on both sides of a negotiation is just what they want to say to get you on their side.  

edit- given these guys haven't gotten a raise in a long time, they are certainly not the reason for inflation.  And when I looked at the total spend for shipping in the US, the raise they are asking for is 0.3% of all shipping cost from 2022.  So at the same time, it's a lot of money to the individual, but almost nothing as part of the overall system.

Flynlow
Flynlow Dork
10/1/24 7:18 p.m.
alfadriver said:

In reply to Noddaz :

Hard to tell if you are or not.  When I looked at salaries- one hiring site has them peak below $50k/year, another the peak is $75k, but there are a lot complaining about $150k.  Given the complaining doesn't seem to have data, and a $30/hr raise is 76%, then they make ~$40/hr now.  

$40/hr is almost $77k/year.  And $70/hr is $134k/year.

$40/hr matches the senior wages of one of the sites I saw.

I wonder if the big deal about the 50% over 6 years is more about automation than not- or at least some other clause in the deal being offered.  

We have to bear in mind that the news we get on both sides of a negotiation is just what they want to say to get you on their side.  

edit- given these guys haven't gotten a raise in a long time, they are certainly not the reason for inflation.  And when I looked at the total spend for shipping in the US, the raise they are asking for is 0.3% of all shipping cost from 2022.  So at the same time, it's a lot of money to the individual, but almost nothing as part of the overall system.

Agreed on all counts.  Also, keep in mind some of these ports are located in expensive cities (NYC, Philadelphia, Boston).  Some of the salaries discussed may be necessary to live <90 minutes from the port in a decent apartment or house. 

Fueled by Caffeine
10/1/24 7:39 p.m.

Brailla pasta moves via the east as well. Expect that to get thin on shelves soon ish. 

Gary
Gary PowerDork
10/1/24 8:12 p.m.

Just wait a week and see what happens. 

Gary
Gary PowerDork
10/1/24 8:12 p.m.

Just wait a week and see what happens. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/1/24 9:19 p.m.

Seems like a good time to irrationally buy a lot of toilet paper.  

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/1/24 9:25 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Seems like a good time to irrationally buy a lot of toilet paper.  

I believe it's called butt wiping paper.

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
10/1/24 10:01 p.m.

Our hoses from Europe come through these ports.  

The answer is to send it down to the Panama Canal up to Long Beach, CA to the railroads to take it to our Denver and Chicago warehouses.  Guess who is going to pay these extra costs?  

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/1/24 10:35 p.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

Actually, Barilla's pasta for the US is made in Iowa and New York (I've driven by the factory in Ames many times)
There's even a 2022 news story about them being sued by people feeling mislead that the pasta is made in Italy. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6mD6S74Gv03ioG6d9Y1lbm8dPXJyXFUNP0b9mwvWmJCbCBLcmCMM1DchY0lA7jU2