Driven5
Driven5 PowerDork
10/8/24 6:08 p.m.

Driving home from work, I got to spend some time admiring a visually striking box truck in traffic. Words that I never thought to use together until now. Had I known I wouldn't be able to find any good pics of it online, I would have tried harder to snap a pic. It was the DAF XD in full 'Start the Future' promotional regalia, looking almost exactly like this...

It had a sticker on the window indicating it was for the nearby Kenworth headquarters, both falling under the also nearby PACCAR corporate umbrella, but was actually headed away from there at the time.  So what are the chances we'll start seeing these state side in the not too distant future?

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/8/24 6:19 p.m.

I well recall how excited I was (and kinda still am) when we started getting the Sprinter/Transit/Ducato (Promaster) here, because they're so much better packaged than the historic domestic vans ("let's shape it like a tin of beans on its side so the usable volume is nothing approaching the footprint, and never make the opening more than four feet high, but the floor nearly three feet off the ground!")...

What apart from sheer stylistic awesomeness differentiates the Euro box trucks from the scads of Isuzus, Mitsubishis, and smaller and larger medium-duty domestics etc we have here?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/8/24 6:23 p.m.

We don't, and never have, gotten real Euro Semis here in North America.  I think there are steep tarrifs on trucks so big they require CDL. 

Sure, we get some smaller, CDL not required, models from Isuzu, Hindo, and similar but never the real heavy stuff.  

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/8/24 7:25 p.m.

Euro trucks look like euro trucks because they are made to work with European laws. Usually cab overs due to length restrictions.  

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UberDork
10/8/24 8:10 p.m.

Here is the specs on the DAF XD electric , 

New Generation DAF XD Electric - DAF Countries

I am just assuming that its Electric ,  but wonder if it still has the 25% "Chicken tax" on trucks

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/8/24 8:51 p.m.

I've always heard driver comfort and preference played a major role in why we don't have euro style can overs. I did learn to drive a 15 speed in a cab over as a teenager- way easier to see where your bumper is. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tNUtxerJF1D7fmtfFbUI0ov0XJhG4NiCuOlc8hzmiTflKuTSdlbCa9t63VykErjb