pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/5/13 8:02 a.m.

While at home with a sick kid yesterday, I watched "Olympus Has Fallen". It had a high explosions to low sappy stuff ratio, so what the heck. None of it was really believable, but one part had me particularly laughing.

The guards at the White House are all mindless lemmings who walk into automatic machine gun fire in waves until they are all dead. I have toured the White House and talked to these guys. They are seriously bad-ass.

They are cordial and will talk to you, but they never really look at you after an initial threat-assessment scan. They are constantly scanning the horizon and moving around to change vantage points. Each guard also carries enough firepower and extra rounds to stay in the fight for about a month.

So turn your brain off and enjoy the movie, but don't get any ideas about storming the White House. You won't get far.

Jerry
Jerry Dork
9/5/13 8:04 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: So turn your brain off and enjoy the movie

I think this should be a disclaimer for 99.4% of today's movies.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
9/5/13 8:10 a.m.
Jerry wrote:
pinchvalve wrote: So turn your brain off and enjoy the movie
I think this should be a disclaimer for 99.4% of today's movies.

+1.

Funny thing- getting to watch all of the Bond movies thanks to Encore, and it's interesting how many stupid things Bond does.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
9/5/13 8:41 a.m.

It's presumed that everybody think all security forces are mindless. We prefer it to stay that way. Wonder if the secret service is hiring.....

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
9/5/13 9:16 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: While at home with a sick kid yesterday, I watched "Olympus Has Fallen". It had a high explosions to low sappy stuff ratio, so what the heck. None of it was really believable, but one part had me particularly laughing. The guards at the White House are all mindless lemmings who walk into automatic machine gun fire in waves until they are all dead. I have toured the White House and talked to these guys. They are seriously bad-ass. They are cordial and will talk to you, but they never really look at you after an initial threat-assessment scan. They are constantly scanning the horizon and moving around to change vantage points. Each guard also carries enough firepower and extra rounds to stay in the fight for about a month. So turn your brain off and enjoy the movie, but don't get any ideas about storming the White House. You won't get far.

I thought the exact same thing when watching the movie.

It was entertaining enough for an action movie. But I'm not the type who watches action flicks for some deeply moving philosophical statement..........or believability.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Reader
9/5/13 9:33 a.m.

I thought it sucked. Made me feel it was really made for Kim Jong Un just for fun.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/5/13 10:11 a.m.

I toured part by mistake once.

Got in line behind some people and when it was my turn to go in, SS guy held the revolving door with his foot at the bottom and his right arm out straight up top. He explained politely that I was in the wrong place.

OK, no problem.

I had to leave by going between his foot and his arm. As I passed under I see he has brass knuckles in his right hand and his left hand is disappeared behind his back.

Yep, gotta go!

PHeller
PHeller UberDork
9/5/13 10:53 a.m.

You have to imagine that those guys, probably more than other security force in world, not only are probably incredibly decorated in whatever service they've held previously, but also have an excellent ability NOT to shoot everyone that looks like a would be bomber or attacker.

You hear about all kinds of security, military, and police organizations "accidentally" killing an innocent or unarmed person, but never the Secret Service.

So if they wanna hire a hooker in South America, let them!

slantvaliant
slantvaliant SuperDork
9/5/13 11:53 a.m.

Different era, different place, but American Gunfight is an interesting, true account of Puerto Rican nationalists going after Truman.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant SuperDork
9/5/13 11:57 a.m.
PHeller wrote: You hear about all kinds of security, military, and police organizations "accidentally" killing an innocent or unarmed person, but never the Secret Service.

Some of the Dealy Plaza theorists would disagree.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PAG3KHr629iirJeyrLRIJlyMpyTVDJ9sjvlaONdCZHtntga5a1l0MeL4TTBsKIZJ