crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/24/16 2:16 p.m.

http://www.ktuu.com/news/news/strong-earthquake-with-initial-magnitude-of-about-71-hits-south-alaska/37610068

Happened about 1:30 this morning. Everything felt like Jello with thunder. Our power was off for about 5 hours but all is good in Anchorage except for all the broken liquor bottles city wide. Down on the Kenai peninsula, at least one house exploded from a gas line rupture. On Kaliforsky Beach road, there was a huge crack that opened in the middle of the road on the Kenai. So far it looks like no injuries reported. The 9.2 here in 1964 was the second biggest ever recorded and ever since then the building codes have really stepped up and it's evident.

It's good reminder that Mother Nature does what she wants.

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock UltimaDork
1/24/16 2:20 p.m.

So you're saying I should load up a semi truck with booze and head to Alaska like Tom Wopat and John Schneider did in the terrible Christmas movie?

crankwalk
1/24/16 2:21 p.m.
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock wrote: So you're saying I should load up a semi truck with booze and head to Alaska like Tom Wopat and John Schneider did in the terrible Christmas movie?

My cans of fine Coors light survived but the rest of the state would probably appreciate it!

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
1/24/16 2:27 p.m.

Heard that there is a nasty fault line up there. Glad your ok. Maybe a few little ones will keep the big one from happening.

crankwalk
1/24/16 2:35 p.m.
TRoglodyte wrote: Heard that there is a nasty fault line up there. Glad your ok. Maybe a few little ones will keep the big one from happening.

Anywhere else, I'd say 7.1 was a big one. Ha! And yes this is one of the most active spots in the world. 50 years ago having the second largest earthquake ever recorded here has them in people's mind. Hell, we have towns that were relocated or were never rebuilt after that and lots of people are still around from when that happened.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
1/24/16 2:43 p.m.

Saw a show that showed evidence of a nasty tsunami up there also, that would be a mess

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/24/16 2:49 p.m.

Glad you made it though unscathed!

We just moved to the gulf coast & was surprised that our initial homeowners insurance quote didn't include earthquake coverage, as it was common in IL. I realize we were closer to a fault line up there, but it just seems like one of those things you really don't want to be caught without.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
1/24/16 2:54 p.m.

Broken liquor bottles??! Oh, no! That's terrible!

crankwalk
1/24/16 2:56 p.m.

The tsunami didnt really happen since this quake was 75 miles deep. It also happened right beside a big ass volcano but doesnt appear to be a factor either.

Pete, I'm sure your insurance is high enough with all the hurricanes factored in but yeah I dont recall having earthquake coverage in Atlanta either.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
1/24/16 3:12 p.m.
crankwalk wrote: ...The 9.2 here in 1964 was the second biggest ever recorded and ever since then the building codes have really stepped up and it's evident...

crankwalk
1/24/16 3:38 p.m.

^Notice all the bars everywhere. I'm sure they were the first thing that was reopened.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/24/16 3:56 p.m.

Suggestion:

Maybe they should try filling in that fault line with cans of Coors Light.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/24/16 4:34 p.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: Broken liquor bottles??! Oh, no! That's terrible!

DirtHog
DirtHog New Reader
1/24/16 6:46 p.m.

Nope no snow here either. Thinking of heading to Aspen for a few days of skiing. I need to get away and unwind on the slopes. How about you? Planning any ski trips this year?

crankwalk
1/24/16 10:26 p.m.
DirtHog wrote: Nope no snow here either. Thinking of heading to Aspen for a few days of skiing. I need to get away and unwind on the slopes. How about you? Planning any ski trips this year?

I bet you enjoy canoeing.

tr8todd
tr8todd Dork
1/25/16 6:15 a.m.

I remember seeing a documentary about that big quake. One scene showed a cop at a city intersection directing traffic. A TR3 went by. All I could think was who drives a TR3 in Alaska in the winter.

crankwalk
1/25/16 2:47 p.m.
tr8todd wrote: I remember seeing a documentary about that big quake. One scene showed a cop at a city intersection directing traffic. A TR3 went by. All I could think was who drives a TR3 in Alaska in the winter.

I was surprised when I saw so many people on bikes in snow storms, blizzaks on Corvettes, and my favorite KTM on studded snow tires on the highway.

People are still into the same stuff here they just do it slightly differently.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
btDMi4NoGSmvKEJ15cIT4QljIIAui3NSCtU11cmLo2ve02QwinkU0h5oEM2RBodD