1 2 3
poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
6/19/13 11:08 a.m.

...on 4 cylinders usually make me roll my eyes and shake my head. But I'm sitting here at the shop and hear what sounds like some riced out turd approaching the stop-sign, blipping the throttle incessantly. I peek out the window to look for whatever rolling winged abortion approacheth...but I see nothing that could possibly be making this sound. As the lesbian's choice-green, otherwise totally stock appearing Subaru Outback, piloted by a very "normal" (non-brotato) high school kid leaves the stop sign, revs to the moon, and lets out a hearty "POP GURGLE GURGLE" between 1st and 2nd, I chuckled and smiled.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
6/19/13 11:09 a.m.

Or just a blown exhaust?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/19/13 11:16 a.m.

I <3 pops 'n' gurgles.

I will intentionally set up my cars to run a little rich up top to get that pop.

motomoron
motomoron Dork
6/19/13 11:31 a.m.

There's a couple kinds of cars that just don't sound good to me, no matter what.

• Any Subaru. Doesn't matter which one, and I've been on-track at NASA TT/UTCC with the grarliest most fire-breathingest Subes in existence. They all just sound flat and drone-ey.

• SCCA Spec Racer Fords. The most un-sexy exhaust note of all race classes. At Summit point I always pit close to start-finish along the front straight, and the SRF field sounds like a sort-of-fast-moving flock of mooing cows.

yamaha
yamaha UberDork
6/19/13 11:34 a.m.

If harleys can run open pipes, so can I......to hopefully set harley riders on fire.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
6/19/13 11:37 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote: I <3 pops 'n' gurgles. I will intentionally set up my cars to run a little rich up top to get that pop.

You should love a R53 MINI. They'll pop and gurgle with a stock exhaust and OE tune.

motomoron wrote: There's a couple kinds of cars that just don't sound good to me, no matter what. - Any Subaru. Doesn't matter which one, and I've been on-track at NASA TT/UTCC with the grarliest most fire-breathingest Subes in existence. They all just sound flat and drone-ey.

Odd... I actually like a Subaru with an aftermarket exhaust - deep and throaty compared to most 4-bangers which tend to sound harsh.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
6/19/13 11:49 a.m.

I especially love fart cans on 4 cylinder cars with automatics. Unless you're driving with hand controls, all you are announcing to the world is that you'd rather make noise than make the single most cost-effective performance upgrade: switch to a manual transmission.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
6/19/13 11:50 a.m.
yamaha wrote: If harleys can run open pipes, so can I......to hopefully set harley riders on fire.

I made a Harley rider scream in a tunnel with my CRX. Served him right for tailgating me the previous 15 miles.

Jerry
Jerry HalfDork
6/19/13 11:50 a.m.

The xB has a fairly low grumble exhaust from Strupp. I had NO interest in the weed-wacker fart cannon Honda sound.

The MR2 has a 4-2-1 header to a small free-flowing muffler, otherwise open pipe, and sounds beautiful.

yamaha
yamaha UberDork
6/19/13 11:56 a.m.

In reply to Jerry:

unfortunately, there is no way to make a m42/44 bmw engine sound "good", its kind of an experiment that should be titled "Which sounds like ass the least"

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
6/19/13 12:12 p.m.

I won't say it sounded "good." It did sound "hilarious" though. You could tell the kid thought it was funny...not like he was showing off or thought he'd gained 20hp by hacking the muffler off.

Ojala
Ojala GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/19/13 12:17 p.m.

In reply to Ian F:

It's the unequal length header, they sound vastly different from the equal length headers( which are better than UEL)

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
6/19/13 12:18 p.m.

exhaust done right modern varient: think of the gutty "boom hole"

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/19/13 12:18 p.m.
motomoron wrote: There's a couple kinds of cars that just don't sound good to me, no matter what. - Any Subaru. Doesn't matter which one, and I've been on-track at NASA TT/UTCC with the grarliest most fire-breathingest Subes in existence. They all just sound flat and drone-ey. - SCCA Spec Racer Fords. The most un-sexy exhaust note of all race classes. At Summit point I always pit close to start-finish along the front straight, and the SRF field sounds like a sort-of-fast-moving flock of mooing cows.

How about....

This one?

http://youtu.be/YiQ6FcyiPag

The driver appears to be completely insane.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/19/13 12:19 p.m.
JoeyM wrote: exhaust done right modern varient: think of the gutty "boom hole"

I can assure you that it doesn't sound all that great.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade UltraDork
6/19/13 12:21 p.m.
This one? http://youtu.be/YiQ6FcyiPag The driver appears to be completely insane.

A. What is it?

B. What the heck is that racket over the car noise?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/19/13 12:23 p.m.
DoctorBlade wrote:
This one? http://youtu.be/YiQ6FcyiPag The driver appears to be completely insane.
A. What is it? B. What the heck is that racket over the car noise?

It's "The Gobstopper."

The racket is The Chemical Brothers.

There's more videos out there of the car that probably don't have quite so obtrusive music.

This car "doesn't sound like a subie" because equal length manifolds. Well, and ALL THE POWER.

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
6/19/13 1:05 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
JoeyM wrote: exhaust done right

la, la, la......I'm not listening to you......la, la, la

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
6/19/13 1:05 p.m.
Ojala wrote: In reply to Ian F: It's the unequal length header, they sound vastly different from the equal length headers( which are better than UEL)

Does that really matter that much with a turbo engine?

Grizz
Grizz SuperDork
6/19/13 1:25 p.m.

I heard one of these not too long ago on the road. Sounds vury gut. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSXg4ZjL5uo

I'm generally not a fan of how most fours sound sadly. Although I am planning on being an shiny happy person whenever I get around to grabbing one, I've got an essentially straight through performance muffler from a Suzuki Bandit 1200 my BIL had. Should make whatever NA E36 M3box I buy sound suitably annoying.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/19/13 1:25 p.m.
Ian F wrote:
Ojala wrote: In reply to Ian F: It's the unequal length header, they sound vastly different from the equal length headers( which are better than UEL)

Yep. Pulses are still pulses, no matter if there's a magical turbine to quiet them down.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/19/13 1:26 p.m.
Ian F wrote:

Yep.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/19/13 1:29 p.m.
JoeyM wrote:
Swank Force One wrote:

Heh, i'm guessing you didn't hear it at the Challenge...

It'll be back this year. As well as another with the same exhaust. It sounds gross.

FranktheTank
FranktheTank Reader
6/19/13 1:49 p.m.

I Y piped a 2.3 Ford ranger directly off the header once.... It was a 5spd no cat no muffler dual straight pipes. It even idled loud. People were always trying to race me at lights but it still topped out at 87mph with a tail wind. It was funny. I sold it under the condition I would (Fix) whatever the hell was wrong with the exhaust.

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
6/19/13 2:02 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
JoeyM wrote:
Swank Force One wrote:
Heh, i'm guessing you didn't hear it at the Challenge... It'll be back this year. As well as another with the same exhaust. It sounds gross.

Nope, I didn't. I'll be back.....I'll look for it. (Still going for a lake pipe looking setup on the datsun.)

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lmltN0361h0yABRJrjszxFCPn3LRqIuKOMTOkotTmKRBZc2o3foJ9eLpilFiK4Pp