1 2 3
Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/19/13 2:03 p.m.

Might sound better on a motor that isn't, you know..... an F2.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
6/19/13 2:05 p.m.

Fart cannons sound like E36 M3 9.99999999 times out of 10, glasspacks are a bit better done right. On account of Michigan, near every car I've owned has spent at least some time with some part of the exhaust system MIA.

All Toyota products drone unbearably with a missing muffler.

A 2.2 Pontiac Sunfire driven in anger with the axle over pipe just dumping exhaust under the trunk sounds like a old rally car.

I had a REALLLLLLLY beat 98 Mirage that had such a bad downpipe-cat hookup it as for all practical purposes a header dump. This sounded awful, but helped reduce property values wherever it went.

Yugo with a straight pipe/glasspack sounds good. Even on bad gas with the timing accidentally 10* retarded. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S04oGz7wo3Y

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/19/13 2:07 p.m.

Perhaps that Chinese Finger Trap thing right behind the down pipe has puked.

PHeller
PHeller UltraDork
6/19/13 3:14 p.m.

Beautiful sounds are in ear of the beholder.

yamaha
yamaha UberDork
6/19/13 3:42 p.m.

In reply to PHeller:

I see your logic has been flawed.....

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/19/13 4:11 p.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to Jerry: unfortunately, there is no way to make a m42/44 bmw engine sound "good", its kind of an experiment that should be titled "Which sounds like ass the least"

you should have heard my Ti with the rare supersprint exhaust. it was not much louder than stock, but enough to give it more bass.

one of the best sounding 4 cylinders IMHO is the Fiat Twin Cam. As described, an uncorked Twin Cam sounds like a cross between a Chevy 350 and a Ferrari. Which makes sense as the Twin Cam's rod length is very similar to the same rod in a chevy 350.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
6/19/13 4:33 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine:

The Fiat SOHC and DOHC sound sorta like an old Ferrari because they were all designed by the same guy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurelio_Lampredi

yamaha
yamaha UberDork
6/19/13 5:33 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine: Possible, but it isn't a carrera gt, so it sounds bad.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/19/13 5:44 p.m.

Sometimes I like it, sometimes not so much, but it's dawned on me recently that a lot of modified Subarus sound like Chewbacca.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
6/19/13 5:49 p.m.

In reply to Kenny_McCormic:

I think your "because" logic is flawed there.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
6/19/13 6:03 p.m.
pres589 wrote: In reply to Kenny_McCormic: I think your "because" logic is flawed there.

How so?

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
6/19/13 6:14 p.m.

In reply to Kenny_McCormic:

Sound waves don't care who designed the part. There's probably common features of the engines, operating speeds, that sort of thing in play. He may have used some similar ideas but I think this is more because of Ferrari V-type engines using flat-plane cranks than anything.

The_Jed
The_Jed SuperDork
6/19/13 6:22 p.m.

My Scoob had a straight pipe for a while. Oddly when it had the EJ18 it had the familiar "bop bop bop bop" of your typical unmuffled Subaru...the EJ22 with the exact same exhaust does not. It's smoother and a bit higher in pitch.

The flatulent "braap" brought a smile to my face but when it was relegated to DD duties it got old. It now sports an O.E. replacement muffler that is whisper quiet.

The Mark VII still has straight pipes. Well, as straight as you can get with 4 cats and a tail pipe diameter of 1 3/4" on one side and 1 7/8" on the other.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
6/19/13 6:35 p.m.

In reply to pres589:

And rod ratios, mild-extreme oversquare (a fiat 128 1116cc SOHC is something like 80x55.5), cam profiles guesstimated by the same dude, etc.

novaderrik
novaderrik UberDork
6/19/13 6:54 p.m.

the gutless 305 in my Camaro at least sounds good with it's full length headers feeding 2.5" headpipes that join into a single 3" glasspack with a 90 degree 3" mandrel bend dumping out in front of the right rear tire. it's got a nice low, mellow rumble to it, which exactly the opposite of what dual glasspacks do on a small block Chevy with headers..

can't wait to hear what it sounds like with 400+ hp of 5.3 breathing thru it...

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
6/19/13 7:13 p.m.

Two cars with the best sounding stock exhausts:

Lots-o pops and gurgles.

jere
jere Reader
6/19/13 7:58 p.m.

I am in the rust belt so the rusted through exhausts notes don't annoy me that much. The sight of large muffler tips on even any otherwise cool car blows it. They always sound bad and give me F&F flashbacks.

My approach has been just the stock muffler, stock muffler with an electric cutout, resonator/glass pack, just a straight section of pipe. Never any fart noises and little or no challenges at stop lights.

jere
jere Reader
6/19/13 8:01 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

Everytime I hear an SRT neon I think your car has a vac leak, right up until I see the car oh it's just a neon

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/19/13 8:33 p.m.
Ian F wrote:
Swank Force One wrote: I <3 pops 'n' gurgles. I will intentionally set up my cars to run a little rich up top to get that pop.
You should love a R53 MINI. They'll pop and gurgle with a stock exhaust and OE tune.

So does my Quantum with 2.5" pipes and a Cherry Bomb with a little restrictor in the back to cut down on the drone because Cherry Bombs aren't very good at actually muffling.

I kinda like it. The engine has no power and zero engine braking, so I use the popping/cracking exhaust to let me know that I'm coasting.

It is perhaps a little sad that of the three cars I own, the quietest/least headache-inducing one is the one with a bridge ported 13B.

(I got the GRM-acquired GTI running a little bit. THAT CAR IS BERKING LOUD)

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/19/13 8:39 p.m.
JoeyM wrote: la, la, la......I'm deaf......la, la, la

I used to have a Subaru with a similar exhaust treament.

I kinda liked it... when I was 19.

FranktheTank
FranktheTank Reader
6/19/13 9:52 p.m.

Why not Mandrel bends? Has no one ever heard of sand and wooden stakes. If your going to have a crappy fart can ok... But not on such an important asthetic property of the vehicle.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
6/20/13 7:39 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: Two cars with the best sounding stock exhausts:

Honorable mention for the E36 M3 with the OE exhaust. Under hard acceleration when the bypass valve in the muffler is opened, it sounds awesome.

R53 MINI's are wierd when it comes to the exhaust. I've never heard two cars with non-OE systems sound the same, even with the JCW cat-back. One friend's car with the stock JCW system sounded great. Another car with the same system, sounded tame, so he bought a straight pipe to remove the forward resonator. Still wasn't what he wanted, so he bought an Invidia system - that was loud enough for him (and way too 'rice' for my tastes). We put his old JCW exhaust on the g/f's MCS. It sounds ok, but it's borderline obnoxious under acceleration although not that noticable from inside the car.

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
6/20/13 8:33 a.m.
FranktheTank wrote: Why not Mandrel bends? Has no one ever heard of sand and wooden stakes.

All the bends are part of the OEM datsun 910 exhaust system. This was an attempt to make a challenge-budget exhaust. Everything I used - except for the trumpet I made - was off the donor.

FranktheTank wrote: crappy fart can ok... But not on such an important asthetic property of the vehicle.

I'm sorry I don't have the sophisticated appreciation for aesthetics that you do. I've also been told that my pallet is less-than-refined, and that my sense of fashion is lacking. I'm ashamed to admit this stuff, and it really does keep me up at night wondering how to become a better person.

In the future, I promise to only utilize tasteful, attractive, peer approved components in my car builds......I'll get right on that after I finish mounting the gear selector so I can put the sheet metal from a card table back into place on my transmission tunnel.

Will
Will Dork
6/20/13 9:49 a.m.

I cut the muffler off my Mk2 MR2 NA to save some weight for autocrossing.

It's the worst sounding car I've ever heard in my life. Before, it just sounded like a tractor. Now it sounds like a tractor with AIDS.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/20/13 9:56 a.m.
Will wrote: I cut the muffler off my Mk2 MR2 NA to save some weight for autocrossing. It's the worst sounding car I've ever heard in my life. Before, it just sounded like a tractor. Now it sounds like a tractor with AIDS.

The 5sfe is an exceptionally bad sounding motor.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9UcOF4actHsifNbxjhtE1YdgJeuwOpPTrgvw4BJP7WACud8GkwfCgErjSzYimNQe