1 2 3 4 5
Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
8/6/13 1:16 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver:

I did that in my first attempt at a full marathon. I had been running 5-10 mile runs a couple times a week since 2002 but I went and hurt the arch of my left foot 2 weeks before the 2011marathon trying to do a trial run at too great a pace and ended up benched for three months. I did a couple half-marathons since then and do that distance atleast once a week now mixed in with 7 mile speed runs. I have done one 25 mile run to prove to myself I actually could (was brutal) but I've never really finished a full marathon. I aim to correct that this fall even if I have to drag a ground bone across the finish line.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/6/13 1:28 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Put me near chocolate and I'm like a menopausal woman with PMS after a bad break up locked in a candy store watching steel magnolias.

so how is it that you didn't buy my probe gt? i thought they're supposed to be chick cars.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
8/6/13 1:42 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote:
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Put me near chocolate and I'm like a menopausal woman with PMS after a bad break up locked in a candy store watching steel magnolias.
so how is it that you *didn't* buy my probe gt? i thought they're supposed to be chick cars.

I have a C30 and a man bag, the Probe would have put me right over the edge!

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
8/6/13 1:44 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: What do we always tell noob drivers? Seat time, seat time, seat time. Same thing applies here, IMO.

It's seat time that's caused the problem

monknomo
monknomo New Reader
8/6/13 6:41 p.m.

I'm a fellow dumb-phone user and a big fan of the c25k approach. If you have a watch with a timer or stop watch, and can remember the order (run 60 sec, walk 90 sec or whatever) you are set, no smart phone needed. After 3 weeks or so, the distances correspond to full laps on a track, so if you're a track runner it's even easier. I've just finished week 7 and it has really done a good job of getting me back into running. I probably could bust out a very slow 5k right now, but I'm going to leave it to the program because when I was coming up with my own workout schedule, I kept hurting myself.

Some people cut up music tracks to match the length of the run sessions, but that's too much work for me.

MattGent
MattGent Reader
8/6/13 8:28 p.m.

My parents started running in their mid-50s after doing nothing remotely athletic for at least 30 years. They now do a couple marathons a year, and have built a whole new social group out of it. Mom does the run-walk-run thing: look up the Galloway method. It makes your effort scalable by fitness level and injury status.

One piece of advice: get a bike. You can get the aerobic fitness with much less strain on your body, lose weight fast, and mix up your training. Doesn't have to be fancy, just reliable and one you can sit on comfortably for up to 2 hrs. I've basically given up running due to knee injuries, now its biking & swimming, plus an occasional jog with the dog.

AngryCorvair
8/6/13 10:58 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson:

don't over-stride. when your foot strikes the ground, it should be directly below or slightly behind your knee, and of course your knee should be slightly bent when your foot strikes. there are a lot of videos on youtube re. proper running form

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
8/7/13 7:10 a.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: In reply to Adrian_Thompson: don't over-stride. when your foot strikes the ground, it should be directly below or slightly behind your knee, and of course your knee should be slightly bent when your foot strikes. there are a lot of videos on youtube re. proper running form

Some really good ones, I would say. I changed my stride 3 weeks after my first 10k, and saved my knees. the one I liked the best was a very simple approach- picture yourself trying to kick your own butt. that forces you to lean forward, and take short steps that land on your mid sole. It was a great short video.

Also search for mid-sole strike running.

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
8/7/13 7:18 a.m.

one thing that "modern" runners really should revert to ..

in the old days (yeah I said that) ... when I started running there were no "running" shoes ... we ran in track spikes which forced you to run on the balls of your feet ...

not on the toes, a la sprinters ... but landing on the forefoot ... as opposed to the modern running style of heel strike ..

landing on your heel causes the shock to be transmitted up the leg to be absorbed mostly by your knee (you'll pay for that as the yrs go by)

landing on the forefoot, causes most of the impact to be absorbed by the achilles tendon ... assuming you've done the proper stretching, and you've "conditioned" your achilles tendon you'll be ok .... that tendon will act like a spring and absorb the strike forces whereas the knee will eventually give up

look at the elite runners ... none of them are heel strikers ... it's hard to break the habit of heel strike running ... but for the longevity of you running career it's worth it ...

and as far as us overweight startup runners it's even harder to do .. but more runners are sidelined by knee problems than any other single reason (not counting lethargy ) I plead guilty to both reasons

oh and really listen to Angry .. over striding is BAD ... one of the many things to concentrate on when starting out (and for the accomplished runner) is form ... good/correct form can protect you from a lot of injuries (besides making you more efficient)

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
8/7/13 7:21 a.m.
alfadriver wrote:
AngryCorvair wrote: In reply to Adrian_Thompson: don't over-stride. when your foot strikes the ground, it should be directly below or slightly behind your knee, and of course your knee should be slightly bent when your foot strikes. there are a lot of videos on youtube re. proper running form
Some really good ones, I would say. I changed my stride 3 weeks after my first 10k, and saved my knees. the one I liked the best was a very simple approach- picture yourself trying to kick your own butt. that forces you to lean forward, and take short steps that land on your mid sole. It was a great short video. Also search for mid-sole strike running.

Wow, I'll check those out tonight.

Did another mile run last night then a 1.5 mile walk. Feeling fine so far, although I am consciously aware of my ankle this morning. It doesn’t hurt, but I can feel it. No running tonight, one hour of Yoga then a walk is on the cards.

Diet. Last night was grilled organic pasture raised lamb with lots of grilled veggies tossed in oil with salt, pepper and sesame seeds.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
8/8/13 6:15 p.m.

I'm interested/enthused to see your progress.

Last year, at 40, I realized that my days of being able to out-train my diet were over. I changed my portion sizes and cut down on the carbs/BS snacking and dropped 20lbs. Got more serious about cycling in the process.

I tried running last year after an 18 year break from it. Injured my knee within 4 months. I'm going ot try again in the Fall, after getting fitted for some "proper" running shoes at an actual running shop.

Best of luck.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
8/8/13 6:47 p.m.

I am starving and grilled organic pasture raised lamb with lots of grilled veggies tossed in oil with salt, pepper and sesame seeds sounds fantastic. Unfortunately... all I have in the fridge is 2 60 minute IPAs, cold chicken, an apple and a stick of hot soprassata. DOH.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
8/9/13 6:51 a.m.

Diet side not so great, but I'm doing OK on the running side.

Ran 1.2 miles Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. Yoga Wednesday and 1+/- mile walk every day on top of the run/yoga. Going to Chicago this weekend so probably no more running unless I get a mile in tonight, but plenty of walking every day. Thinking of upping the run to 1.8miles (3km) next week.

Weight unchanged but already resting blood sugar has dropped from 106/7/8/9 to 101/102. I want to get my BS into the 80's

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
8/9/13 7:08 a.m.

RUN IN CHICAGO!!! Especially if you are downtown. Go out to Lake Michigan, and see the shoreline. You get to find a nice benefit of running- being a tourist.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
8/9/13 7:34 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: RUN IN CHICAGO!!! Especially if you are downtown. Go out to Lake Michigan, and see the shoreline. You get to find a nice benefit of running- being a tourist.

Your right, Chicago is such a dangerouse place I may need to run to safety

AngryCorvair
8/9/13 10:03 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
alfadriver wrote: RUN IN CHICAGO!!! Especially if you are downtown. Go out to Lake Michigan, and see the shoreline. You get to find a nice benefit of running- being a tourist.
Your right, Chicago is such a dangerouse place I may need to run to safety

well played, Detroiter. well played.

i recommend sticking with the shorter distance until it feels pretty easy, then gradually increasing your standard per-run distance by about a half-mile per week. it worked for me.

for shoes, the New Balance store had a huge sale first week of july. i went with NB because they still make shoes in the USA, they stock wide and extra-wide shoes, and they are reasonably priced. i bought a pair of 890's, which they call a "neutral" shoe. very light, very comfy. list $109, on sale for $59. i'm going to get another pair soon.

NB has a store in Troy somewhere. the one i went to is on the north side of Twelve Mile, between Halsted and Haggerty, in Farmington Hills.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
8/9/13 10:58 a.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: well played, Detroiter. well played.

I thank your sir

AngryCorvair wrote: i recommend sticking with the shorter distance until it feels pretty easy, then gradually increasing your standard per-run distance by about a half-mile per week. it worked for me.

Good point, mybee I'll up it to 1.5 miles not 1.8

AngryCorvair wrote: for shoes, the New Balance store had a huge sale first week of july. i went with NB because they still make shoes in the USA, they stock wide and extra-wide shoes, and they are reasonably priced. i bought a pair of 890's, which they call a "neutral" shoe. very light, very comfy. list $109, on sale for $59. i'm going to get another pair soon. NB has a store in Troy somewhere. the one i went to is on the north side of Twelve Mile, between Halsted and Haggerty, in Farmington Hills.

I find different people 'fit' shoes in a different way. My wife loves New Balance and Keen's for more of a boot/hiking shoe and she walks for a living (dog walking business) so shoes are massively important. I just don't seem to 'fit' either of those that well. Time after time I come back to Asics for trainers and Merrell’s for boots, they both just work for me.

I bought some new Asics about 6 months ago when I first threatened to do this, but after a couple of runs I lost interest until your half marathon post inspired me. Making this public is to keep me from wussing out again.

AngryCorvair
8/9/13 2:43 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Making this public is to keep me from wussing out again.

that's exactly why i started telling people back in december that i'm running the marathon this year. can't quit when a hundred people ask about progress weekly. ;-)

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
8/9/13 5:54 p.m.

When I went on my 2012 "fitness mission" I posted shirtless before/progress pics along the way. That was my commitment to the process and it worked.

The goal was to be in better shape at 40 than I was at 30 and I did it.

Kept it up so far, but I also fell in love with cycling.

The weight will come off. I dropped weight at an agonizingly slow rate (and I seem to put it back on in nanoseconds), but it came off. I didn't track my calories/food intake (meanhwhile, my wife is a lifetime Weight Watcher member sho lost 85lbs 4 years ago), but I try to eat consciously and not graze.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 HalfDork
8/9/13 11:03 p.m.

For increasing mileage 10% per week. As things get longer you can mix up long, short, speed, number of days, etc but don't go past that number, especially when things seem to be going really well. Thats when I tend to hurt myself!

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
8/10/13 12:56 a.m.

In reply to Paul_VR6:

Yep. I think I was thinking "I feel GREAT!!!" seconds before the icepick went through my knee.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
8/20/13 9:25 a.m.

So, I haven't given up before I started! Progress so far:

Date Run Other
Miles
5-Aug-13 1.2
6-Aug-13 1
7-Aug-13 Yoga
8-Aug-13 1.2
9-Aug-13 Yoga
10-Aug-13 Walked 11 miles
11-Aug-13
12-Aug-13 1.2
13-Aug-13 1.8
14-Aug-13 1.2
15-Aug-13
16-Aug-13
17-Aug-13 1.4
18-Aug-13
19-Aug-13 2

Feeling fine so far. I have changed shoes though. I found the strike through in my Asics running shoes was painful; I think it's my weight. I changed to some Keen below the ankle hiking shoes that work a lot better. I don't feel the shock as much anymore.

AngryCorvair
8/21/13 9:31 a.m.

outstanding! stick with it, it's worth the effort.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
8/21/13 11:12 p.m.

Good sticking to it!!!

Seriously consider going to a running specialty store where they can get you in a shoe that suits you best.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
8/23/13 2:53 p.m.

Ruh-Rho, it’s happened.

So I went for a 3 mile run last night, felt great, moderate pace. Well to me it was moderate, but it slow really at 37 mins for 3 miles. When I got back I walked around for 5 mins and did some stretches. By the time I had walked and stretched I was 100% back to normal, normal pulse, breathing normal, no longer flushed. I felt great. This morning I wake up feeling fine in my muscles, no aches, but my ankle is hurting, just the same as it always does. I guess no running tonight, ice it and take it easy and see how I am tomorrow. Was planning on another 3 miles before Bfast tomorrow, may have to reconsider.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CK5LyhNqm0foxvl2eJWTn8yoyRfqadXnn1WqQCT6110WVu3bzfQZCxHjgYY7s8Bj