1 2 3 4 5
AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/23/13 4:07 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson:

yeah, it happens. rest it until it doesn't hurt. no reason to push it too soon and do additional damage. i had a strange feeling in my knee back in april, so i took a week off. when it no longer hurt, i started running again.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
8/23/13 5:18 p.m.

There may come a time where you may want to push yourself. Like past the pain. I know of a runner who finished a marathon on a broken foot.

It's said that runners will cut a foot off to keep running.

Runners can be odd.

Good to hear the progress- and these kinds of injuries may also be reminders to cross train- say bike. I'm digging the riding I'm doing- Ines rides to work, and I ride up to get her. Good 10 miles a night.

That, and if you need any kind of help to "go the distance"- have a neat destination. Ines and I have a ice cream store 2 miles from home, which is a great place to pause when there's 2 miles left to go.

AngryCorvair
9/20/13 7:29 p.m.

hey man, it's been four weeks since you've posted. is your ankle OK now?

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
9/20/13 8:43 p.m.

Yup, been running 3 to 4 times a week. Only twice so far this week, but 2 miles a time. Two miles coming up tomorrow morning. 2 miles a day walking as well plus yoga once or twice a week too. I'm not quitting, don't worry

AngryCorvair
9/21/13 8:10 p.m.

Outstanding! :D

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
9/22/13 11:37 p.m.

You REALLY have to ease into it.

I'm getting very close to buying some new shoes and give it a go again.

I'm 186lbs and I have 2100 miles in on the road bike this year, so cardio is a non-issue. Getting used to the impact again--issue.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
9/23/13 8:24 a.m.
gamby wrote: You REALLY have to ease into it. I'm getting very close to buying some new shoes and give it a go again. I'm 186lbs and I have 2100 miles in on the road bike this year, so cardio is a non-issue. Getting used to the impact again--issue.

Yup, I have zero issue with the cardio as I'm pretty active. It's all down to the impact. That and I still need to loose 40lb's

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
11/27/13 1:49 p.m.

This blows. the race is tomorrow. I've been running and know I can do it, but my berkeleying ankle is hurting like hell and swollen up. Went to the chiro at lunch time and that helped. I've got it strapped and a support on, I will ice it as soon as I get home, but right now I don't know if I can run. I have to do this, it's a personal goal, but damn I'm in pain

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
11/27/13 2:01 p.m.

I'm not ankle doc or anything, but if it's swollen and painful, I wouldn't run on it. Because that's the kind of thing that I think can turn into a permanent injury.

Go swim two miles instead?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
11/27/13 2:11 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: This blows. the race is tomorrow. I've been running and know I can do it, but my berkeleying ankle is hurting like hell and swollen up. Went to the chiro at lunch time and that helped. I've got it strapped and a support on, I will ice it as soon as I get home, but right now I don't know if I can run. I have to do this, it's a personal goal, but damn I'm in pain

Load that E36 M3 up with naproxin sodium, tape it and run. I'm still pissed at myself for bagging out of the fall marathon because my hip hurt. Injury is easier to fix than regret. Unless amputation... then they are equal. :)

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/27/13 5:01 p.m.

NSAIDs are your friend in this case, Ade. I know you don't care for such things, but like anything, when used intelligently they are a good tool for pain management.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
11/27/13 11:03 p.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler:

When I had/have knee issues, a decent (600-800mg) dose of Ibuprofen is the only thing that works for me. Aleve does NOTHING for me. I guess I don't have the receptors for it or something.

Your call as to how far gone it is. Good luck.

I started couch-to-5k in October. Did the first 3 weeks of it and then started run/walk on my own. I'm doing a 3.2 mile loop around my neighborhood in 33min (10.5 min/mile). So far, so good. 5 min warmup and 5 min cooldown as well as foam rolling afterwards.

Looking forward to smelling the turkeys, fireplaces and leaves on that loop tomorrow morning. Should be around 30-32 degrees out.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
11/27/13 11:24 p.m.

It's fat arse to 10k, not fat arse to world record 10k. Ibuprofen up and walk the damn thing. DON'T RUN! DON'T HURT YOURSELF! Just get it done.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/28/13 12:19 a.m.

This running (walking) thing sucks! Due to lack of light and time I've been hobbling around a couple times this week, and holy carp do I want to go back to riding a bike!

I'm really hoping after a few more days things become ever so slightly less awkward, and that I slightly less resemble a hung over blancmange on stilts.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
11/28/13 12:40 a.m.
ransom wrote: and that I slightly less resemble a hung over blancmange on stilts.

My GOD that is brilliant!!! Seriously. I love some good wordsmithing.

As for the dark, I run with a blinky light attached to me so traffic (theoretically) knows where I am.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 HalfDork
11/28/13 8:41 a.m.

Hopefully ice and advil are doing their thing and you are feeling at least "ok" today! Dont forget that even if the race doesnt go as plan ed, you still busted butt training, and you are better for doing it.

Adrian_Thompson
11/28/13 9:30 a.m.

berkeley yeah, I did it guys The results aren't up yet, but I was texting my family as I started, each mile and when I crossed the line. The Chiropractic visit, ice, support, bandage etc did it. According to my texts I think I did it in about 70 mins. We will see later. My # was 20198. Ankle feels fine, knee a bit sore. Man was it slippery, several accidents with people leaving on stretchers, many big big Detroit potholes totaly not marked. After about half way I swear that every stride I was loosing 3 inch as your foot slides back.

Really really happy to have done it. Now I have a base line.

Adrian_Thompson
11/28/13 9:30 a.m.

Happy Thanksgiving all

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/28/13 9:37 a.m.

Congratulations!

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
11/28/13 10:26 a.m.

Congratulations!

Adrian_Thompson
11/28/13 10:43 a.m.

Thanks all.

Results are up. My estimate of 70 mins was good. Results are up, my official time was 1 hour, 10 mins and ZERO seconds!!!!

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
11/28/13 12:25 p.m.

Awesome. I love stuff like this. :D

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 HalfDork
11/28/13 9:48 p.m.

Well done!

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
11/29/13 1:27 p.m.

Awesome. I love it when a plan comes together.

Take a week off to heal up and then get back on it.

AngryCorvair
12/1/13 12:57 p.m.

nice! i run-walked the 5k with my daughter. it was friggin' cold!

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gWAE4YU1ERlRtLI5uwgnIp2PrzG85KwwiftVO32LU4RNhSsEpAbIywlLygzo0vGt